Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a Teyes SPRO (4gb / 64gb) Android navigation above the dash on my CT200h which did not have a factory nav. This seems to be the best overall Android nav for a CT200h I could find. Before installing, I questioned whether it was time to get a new car simply for the convenience of the electronics - but now I don't think a new car would have anything this good, except maybe a Tesla.

The Android and electronics itself is fantastic but the plastic bezel quality is cheaper than I would like given its a high-quality piece of electronics going in a luxury branded car.
Car Vehicle Center console Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle
Electronics Gadget Multimedia Electronic device Technology

What I like:
  • Fast and stable
  • Easy to use and navigate ('OK Google' voice control works great to open maps and directions)
  • Clear screen, even with polarized sunglasses on
  • Connectivity works well with 4g (I have T-Mobile in the US). Though not all T-Mobile bands are supported enough are that I get fast download speeds in the city
  • The OS is polished and the best I've used for a car. Strong community in forums on 4pda (I use translate tools since its a Russian site). The Teyes community on XDA Forums is lacking, however
  • The OEM radio works (the Teyes unit plays audio as an AUX input to the factory radio) allowing original Bluetooth call and CD functionality to work.
  • The backup cam quality is very high. Not only is the image clear but also the guide lines can be configured to get a perfect line of exactly where the car is aligned.
  • Happy with the electronics quality, I ordered (but haven't yet received) the dash cam. It got really good reviews and seems to have nice AR features. Not sure if AR is actually practical here - but would be interesting to try. Its a bit overpriced with other dash cams much cheaper, but the convenience of having it integrated to the Teyes unit makes it worthwhile.
What I don't like (mostly this installation and correctable issues):
  1. The CT200h specific panel looks cheap and a bit bulky compared to other nav screens. It looks like it fits in with the car so not to say its terrible; more that its just subpar. Teyes made a slick looking device that sits behind this bezel - I think they could redesign the bezel a bit and make a much nicer overall package and expose the edge to edge glass.
  2. 60246
    Low quality manufacturing on the bezel – I had to shave it in some places to sit flush on the dash due to excess plastic leftover. In the screw holes of the bezel, one side was 4mm too short. So I drilled new screw holes on the metal connector by 4mm to compensate as pictured (see the extra holes on the right side of the pic). These metal brackets connect the device to the plastic panel.
  3. 60247
    Teyes support provided a printable dash cutting template but took a few days to send and only after I requested it. (warning: if you do this install, test to make sure the unit works with your car before cutting your dash, no going back).
  4. 60245
    Installation requires additional parts not included – fasteners for the front clips and a custom harness for the rear clips. If I did this install again, I would've cut out less than the template suggests so that the panel would be in place for the rear clips. Basically, the dash already has a place for the 3 front clips, but not the 3 rear ones. The rear rear runs are level with the plastic of the car, but not the foam. So it may be possible to cut the dash top layer foam per the template, but leave the plastic below the foam in place to drill holes for the 3 rear clips. Since I had already cut the full template out, I used the plastic I previously cut off to make a harness to clip to the rear. Then I tuck it under the dash and holds the unit in place pretty well. See pic.
  5. The OEM buttons is cheap look and feel. Teyes is sending me a replacement because the first one I received seems to have some electrical issues. Occasionally it stops working for a few minutes, and other times it will fire off commands on its own. Its not needed to use this except for screen on/off. If you accidently turn the screen off, the built in on button is behind the plastic bezel, so you would have to hope voice commands works to turn it on. It would be possible to install other buttons if you wanted to wire them in. For instance, the steering wheel controls could be wired to the Teyes instead. However, then it would be difficult to use the OEM radio, especially for volume and calls (which you could then do from the Teyes, but only while the OEM radio is on AUX and it would not use the OEM mic).
  6. The included harness connects sound to aux, but doesn’t send the aux connected indicator to the OEM radio. So I need to leave an aux cable plugged into the original aux input jack to get AUX to work with the radio. Not a big deal, just annoying. So I leave this under the center console so its hidden away. I am replacing the built-in USB-audio jack port in the center console with 1 that has 2 USB inputs instead. Its on its way from China at the moment.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
393 Posts
Im tempted. The android and electronically are solid on these units from China. Is there a way to fix that bulge in the bezel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im tempted. The android and electronically are solid on these units from China. Is there a way to fix that bulge in the bezel?
I think my left and middle clips should have a suction to the dash. I will need to shave/cut the plastic clips of the bezel slightly and then reattach the metal fasteners higher up. I don't think there is much risk of shaving too much off since the dash is spongy and a little over tight would be just right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 2011 with a nav. I may do this eventually. I previous used the IVIC, but it just did not work well with my Galaxy S5 and then S7. I also have the beat sonic nav override so you can actually use the navigation when you need it.

I want to do this aftermarket install, but not sure exactly how it will work with the built in camera.
Also, I wish one of these after market solutions would still work with the ct joystick. That joystick is the best interface possible for any car. Way better than any touch screen.

Also, it says android 8.1. Is the company not going to upgrade this to android 10???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, it says android 8.1. Is the company not going to upgrade this to android 10???
I wondered myself. But after getting the unit its clear that Android 8.1 has every Android feature needed for a car nav. In terms of features in 9 and 10 -> none are really applicable for this setup. The risk is if in the future, some apps required a newer version of Android then it would be nice to have the latest APIs.

BTW, I don't know if Teyes offers the needed cables to work with a CT200h that has a stock nav. In terms of the controls, touch screen is a bit annoying for button presses. Android voice commands work well so touch isn't always needed.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
393 Posts
The units that say andeoid 10 will reveal to be android 8 once you run CPUz I suspect. Which I would then use to start a dispute with the seller. They will probably offer some money back😃.
Also, I believe there is android upgrade with larger better screen for cars with factory nav.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The units that say andeoid 10 will reveal to be android 8 once you run CPUz I suspect. Which I would then use to start a dispute with the seller. They will probably offer some money back😃.
I'd strongly recommend avoiding sellers that you suspect of posting fake specs. Even if you're ok with a surprise Android version then you don't know what else is missing. Make sure you know exactly what chipset the unit has and that check that there is a community that's satisfied with it on XDA forums or on 4pda. In most cases, the Android builds are relatively standard for a given chipset. I think Teyes is one of the exceptions as they seem to have their own UI on an Intel chipset.

Personally - I went with Teyes after looking through discussion on 4pda to know what the pros and cons were. Teyes also has official tech support (its slow to respond sometimes, but its there and its good at resolving issues).

·
Registered
1 Posts
For instance, the steering wheel controls could be wired to the Teyes instead. However, then it would be difficult to use the OEM radio, especially for volume and calls (which you could then do from the Teyes, but only while the OEM radio is on AUX and it would not use the OEM mic).
Hey,
do you know maybe how actually these steering wheel controls can be wired to the Teyes unit, did you maybe try that already? I'm asking because I would like to buy similar unit called Teyes CC3 and I saw on the manufacturer site https://cc3.teyes.ru/en/canbus.html that in order to enable steering wheel controls, it is required to select a proper option in the settings to enable support of canbus. It is also quite strange why it's required to select Trumpchi GS4...

The thing is it looks like this operation requires a Canbus box called Raise (RZC) and I wonder whether this device was included in the package for yours Teyes SPRO?
I tried to find that thing in the internet, but with no results. I think it's not being sold under that name.
So I wonder now whether support for these steering wheel controls comes just plug and play or it requires some hardwiring the steering wheel controls into the unit.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
393 Posts
If you have base radio and no navigation you won't need any magic box to program steering wheel buttons to function with the head unit. The head unit will already have function to assign the buttons to any function you may want. Buy from aliexpress and they will answer all your questions. Make sure you ask all detailed questions before buying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts