Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it...they claim 35 Miles on electric full charge...then gas drives the generator..really...$45K and no sunroof...only a 4 seater...and, I put in regular gas...filled up I get approx 450 miles on a tank with no worries about having to plug in the car...where's the greatness of the Volt???

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I don't get it...they claim 35 Miles on electric full charge...then gas drives the generator..really...$45K and no sunroof...only a 4 seater...and, I put in regular gas...filled up I get approx 450 miles on a tank with no worries about having to plug in the car...where's the greatness of the Volt???
He bought it - you didn't - why do you care?

Now I prefer the look of the Prius C to the old Prius - but that's not saying much !!!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not saying anything to him but congratulations on the new car..I'm just wondering what the attraction to the car is if it only gets 35 Miles of only electricity...better off in my opinion waiting for a plug in Prius or similar...I was simply stating you get no extras for all that money and the reliability of GM is definitely a black spot in consumer reports on many of their cars

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not a GM fan at all, but they say the average gas consumption is half the CT from what I've been reading and seeing.
I've seen a car show on TV here that usually bashes on anything GM. Well the guy was raving about the car in general and it's average gas consumption. he couldn't believe the car.
Having said that I wouldn't trade but I'm happy that more and more people turn to green cars.
Official 2011 Chevrolet Volt EPA Fuel Economy Released

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is the way I feel too..that more people are driving greener cars...that being said...the car is very cheap looking inside...I agree...it's not for me but still good for the planet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've heard; GM estimates that the "average" driver will get about 60mpg. (includes short trips all electric, and longer trips with electric and gas) Not bad.

it's larger inside than the CT
it get's better MPG than the CT
the interior feels cheap, like a prius

As long as people are buying "green" cars, I'm all for it!
Besides, a little competition will make Toyota work harder, and this is good for consumers! :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cargo space is smaller than that of a CT...and, only two seats in the back...it's a 4 seater...Not arguing that its better or worse..matter of opinion...but, even when standing outside looking at it...seems to have a cheapness to it...kind of looks like a chevy car from the ugly cavalier years.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Because its "American-Made", some Americans will buy it just for that sake.

- I live across the border from Detroit. It's a huge ideology for a lot of people I hear from to be pro-Detroit when it comes to their vehicles. Doesn't bother me because kudos to supporting local factories/workers. Even though some plants are in Canada, that's another story.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well here's a reason NOT to buy one:
Chevy Volt Production Suspended for 5 Weeks Due to Lower Than Expected Demand | PluginCars.com

But I did consider the Volt initially. Why? 35 miles on electricity means I could commute to work and back and frankly just about anywhere else I go in my area never needing to use any gas! That's pretty big. I could also plug in at work so my operating cost is, well NOTHING!

In the end the high price tag of the Volt, the styling of the CT, the great experience Iv'e had with my previous Lexus and the fact that Priuses seem to be completely reliable made the decision for me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the price tag would be around the 30k, I believe they would sell tons.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think people who are buying the Volt is paying for a pure electric car. Yes if you go over the range (25 to 50 miles depends on driving condition), you will be using the gas fueled generator to power the electric engine, but if you can get back home within the range and charge it, you are driving a electric car. Most people have like 10 to 15 miles commute to work, so it would be an ideal car to drive to work. And on the weekend, you can still use it for long trip without worry about when and where you will have to find places to charge it.

One of my coworker also got the Volt and another is signed up to buy the Tesla S when it comes out. Both of them have Solar panel recently installed at their houses to charge the vehicles.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with the post someone had that said if the car were about $30K, they would sell more...in the meantime, his car is in the shop today because of the way it switched form electric to gas...very rough transition...also, I am not sure but think that if you use up most of the electric and you are parking, the next time you start it does it have to be able to start off in electric mode (kind of the opposite of our CT which must start off in gas before the batteries have some charge)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking as an inhabitant of UK which used to have its own car industry, I guess that it could be argued that buying a GM volt might help to keep Americans at work and may go some way towards saving an aling industry. "You dont know what you've got till it's gone" sort of thing.;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
$7500 tax credit is not a rebate unless you are not earning any money for a whole year.
You mean "if" instead of "unless"? Yeah if you don't have to pay any federal tax, then you don't get anything back I guess. I think most people who bought a $40,000 car would have to pay some federal tax. If not this year, maybe in future. I think some tax credit will carry over to next year if you don't use it, not sure though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You mean "if" instead of "unless"? Yeah if you don't have to pay any federal tax, then you don't get anything back I guess. I think most people who bought a $40,000 car would have to pay some federal tax. If not this year, maybe in future. I think some tax credit will carry over to next year if you don't use it, not sure though.
I mean $7500 tax credit does not mean $7500 return at all. You have to spend these $40000 any way but question is how much you will save on taxes?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I mean $7500 tax credit does not mean $7500 return at all. You have to spend these $40000 any way but question is how much you will save on taxes?
You saved $7500 on the tax you owe. It is a tax "credit" not tax "deduction". :) Think of it as US government paying you $7500 for buying an electric car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe I am not right but I think it works this way:
For example, you have taxable $100000. So, you can deduct $7000 and pay taxes off $93000.
Am I right?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maybe I am not right but I think it works this way:
For example, you have taxable $100000. So, you can deduct $7000 and pay taxes off $93000.
Am I right?
No that's tax "deduction". Tax "credit" is if you have to pay $20000 in tax on your $100000 income, you only have to pay $20000 - $7500 = $12500. In other words, a $7500 tax credit is almost like a $30000 tax deduction if you are in the 25% bracket.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts