Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealership is offering me that package but I thought it was a bit high compared to my IS250.

She was quoting me $100+ on average 5k service, even though I thought CT was on 10k interval due to synthetic oil.

Can anyone chimed in who has had services.

Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would look at this veeeeery carefully, I think you're paying a whole lot for something simple. I asssume this is a package for all scheduled services up to 50K miles? Look at the maintenance schedule and there is not much to do...5 oil changes (the first is free, therefore 4 oil changes), check the floor mats (I think you can do that), change the fob battery a couple of times (do they wear out that fast?? I doubt it, what does the battery cost at a nondealer? $3?), rotate the tires, change the A/C filter (I bet that is easy), and lots of visual inspections. I plan to do all of this myself, except the first free oil change. Your warranty does not require you to take it to the dealer, you can do it yourself (document and keep receipts for parts) or have a nondealer do the parts you're not comfortable doing (like oil changes) or even take it to the Toyota dealer (many will service it for you at less cost...you may not get free coffee and donuts and granite counters though haha ). Seriously, that is a lot of $$$ for what I view is not much work.

I AM NOT CRITICIZING THOSE PEOPLE THAT TAKE THEIR CAR TO THE DEALER FOR ROUTINE SERVICE, but just presenting to you what I, do which is a significant savings and work that I find fun. I am certain I will spend less than $300 for parts to do this myself (I'll use the $1700 saved for a new LED big screen!), and I like knowing simple things like an oil change was done properly (specifically, that 0W-20 oil was used), with a full drain (it takes a while to get all of the oil to drain), and filled properly. If you have the skills, tools, or even the desire to learn how to do it yourself (really, these things aren"t hard to do...even YouTube videos on how to do an oil change on a Prius are on line), and people on this forum or Prius forums are glad to provide help and answers. You might give this some thought.

Enjoy your new car! I know I am.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is insane, I paid $750 for that same package. I did go with it because it seemed like a good deal. When that is up I will start to do my own services.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Emejay makes some excellent points, I also plan on DIY route. Got my '93 Volvo to 200k miles and still running this way and I'm just a weekend mechanic learning and asking questions on car forums such as this. There's a whole lot of self satisfaction with maintaining your own car not to mention saving a ton of money. Although hybrids will be a different animal due to all the electronics if something major goes wrong, that's when I'll have to seek professional help.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dealership is offering me that package but I thought it was a bit high compared to my IS250.

She was quoting me $100+ on average 5k service, even though I thought CT was on 10k interval due to synthetic oil.

Can anyone chimed in who has had services.

Greatly appreciated.
If you are going the dealership service route, you should just ask her to list the price they charge for first 10 services and see how much you would save by paying up front. I think the services at the dealership is usually from $100 to $200.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yea what he said,

lets see oil change could cost you 70 dollars the most. X5, 350 dollars... 700 if your like me and planning on doing 2 oil changes at 5k and 10k.

tire rotation is free if you live near a discount tire place. or less then 20 bucks. so x5 100 dollars... or 200 dollars if you plan on doing it 2 times a year.

cabin air filter you could pretty much do your self, open the glove box put it out replace with new one. you'll probably do this 1 time at like 40k or 50k miles. cost of cabin filter ranges from 10-30 dollars.

then Air Filter is like 40 dollars or less, and that's one time in the 50k miles, which even a technically incline person could do this on a ct200h, it's right in the front easy to do.

also throw in a regular engine inspection at like every 2 years which you could get for free during your oil change.

so this pretty much sums up the entire maintenance they will do.

lets add it up

520 dollars.

970 if you do things twice like i will...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts