Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've owned a 2013 CT200h since Nov 1. I've refueled my car 11 times and the mileage has been rock steady at 45mpg according to the car, 42mpg according to Fuelly.

I started trying ECO mode and that lasted all of one tankful, as the sluggish throttle was just awful. I immediately switched to Sport mode.

Up to last week I had been running my car with factory spec pressures. I switched to Michelin X-Ice 3 tires for winter. I was reasonably pleased that with winter tires and cold temps in Maine, that I was able to maintain my 45/42 mileage.

Last week, I pumped up my tires to 40 front, 38 rear, partly because I've always run my tires high on previous cars, but also because I was putting 800 pounds of pellets in the car.

The bottom line is that since pumping up my tires, my CT200h has increased its mileage to 50.2mpg, after 400 miles. I've never gotten it above 47mpg, and only for short periods earlier this Winter. The difference was pretty dramatic. I'm thinking I can get 500 miles on this tank before refueling.

I can't wait until Spring hits, when I put on the OEM LRR tires, and the temps are up, to see what mileage I really can get. But 50mpg on Winter tires with temps in the past week in the 20s and low 30s, is pretty promising. I hope this helps others. I just didn't realize the improvement would be so significant.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How is your ride with the extra air pressure? I have gone up and down on the air trying to find the best mix.

Here is a previous thread that has some good conversation.
http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-general-discussion-forum/120773-how-get-better-mpg-your-ct200.html

For my summer tires I mentioned putting lighter weight wheels on, that helped a bunch. I have since put on lighter weight LLR tires dropping the total unsprung weight per wheel by 9.5 pounds from factory. These tires, drier and a bit warmer weather, add a few pounds of air....... I have increased my mileage by 5-7 MPG in normal driving. At this rate, it will take only about 20 years to pay for the cost of wheels/tires. lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is your ride with the extra air pressure? I have gone up and down on the air trying to find the best mix.
No doubt you get a harder ride with the added pressure. Given that here in Maine, the roads have frost heaves everywhere, it can be quite the bumpy ride. On the other hand, my previous car, a 2001 BMW 330xi sport pkg, had stiffer springs, lower profile tires, 45s, and higher OEM air pressures, so I'm used to a stiff ride.

I like the idea of using lighter wheels to lower the unsprung weight, but also leaves you more prone to pothole damage. A 9.5lb drop is very big, well done!

·
Registered
657 Posts
With a different hybrid I used to run all my tires at 40 psi. The ride was harsher, but that isn't what made me lower it. What did was when I hit a big pot hole near crap hole Chicago and literally blew out one of the radial bands in my tire. There went any marginal savings that I was getting plus some. So now I run about 2 psi above what the label on the door says for all my cars.

·
Registered
842 Posts
With a different hybrid I used to run all my tires at 40 psi. The ride was harsher, but that isn't what made me lower it. What did was when I hit a big pot hole near crap hole Chicago and literally blew out one of the radial bands in my tire. There went any marginal savings that I was getting plus some. So now I run about 2 psi above what the label on the door says for all my cars.
If you blew your tires out, I expect you would have either blown the tire or bent the rim with a lower tire pressure. Some things are going to happen. I don't think an extra few psi will result in any greater danger of blowout. But I am not going to run a scientific test either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts