Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
If the gas you are using has an Ethanol blend, which is usually up to 10% at most US gas pumps, you will see a 3-4% reduction in gas mileage. I'm sure the Lexus EPA estimates were gathered using no ethanol. Google "pure-gas.org", you will find a list of gas stations that offer Ethanol free, or "pure" gas.
But most stations take advantage and charge much more than is justified for ethanol free gas, so any 3-4% advantage in gas mileage is more than eaten up by the difference in price, so what's the point, other than being able to brag about MPG? Which frankly is kind of silly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If the gas you are using has an Ethanol blend, which is usually up to 10% at most US gas pumps, you will see a 3-4% reduction in gas mileage. I'm sure the Lexus EPA estimates were gathered using no ethanol. Google "pure-gas.org", you will find a list of gas stations that offer Ethanol free, or "pure" gas.
Same in PA, 10% Ethanol blend. I don't think pure gas is legal in CA.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am definitely getting worst MPG in winter both because of temperature and winter blend of gas. But I am still getting around 43 MPG in full time sport mode. In the summer I would get 45 to 48 most of the tanks if I am driving alone commuting to and from work. I am not sure I could get it down to 36 even if I try. And I am in So Cal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am definitely getting worst MPG in winter both because of temperature and winter blend of gas. But I am still getting around 43 MPG in full time sport mode. In the summer I would get 45 to 48 most of the tanks if I am driving alone commuting to and from work. I am not sure I could get it down to 36 even if I try. And I am in So Cal.
Yeah, something is wrong with my CT. I was actually down to 34.5 when I brought it into the dealer. They didn't find any problems. So, they reset the VVTi learning system and are hoping that fixes it. I am trying to baby it in Eco mode but am still well below 40 MPG. The dealer said if it doesn't get better on this tank, bring it back in, and they will get the factory involved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, something is wrong with my CT. I was actually down to 34.5 when I brought it into the dealer. They didn't find any problems. So, they reset the VVTi learning system and are hoping that fixes it. I am trying to baby it in Eco mode but am still well below 40 MPG. The dealer said if it doesn't get better on this tank, bring it back in, and they will get the factory involved.
Keep us posted, I'm very interested if that resolved the problem.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm very interested in what your dealership says about the poor gas mileage as well. I can't say I've ever gotten terrific mileage with my CT either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just wanted to pass along an update. After a tank of gas with mostly highway miles and being very cautious with the accelerator, I am still under 40MPG. So, it will be going back to the dealer to get the factory involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am averaging about 35mpg. I noticed a decline in the gas milage over the summer when I noticed the car started acting very cold natured. They told me at the dealership that nothing was wrong and I needed to drive the car in eco mode. Tried the using 100% gas, 93 octane, 89 octane in all three modes. Nothing changes. All they tell me is the car checks out fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
have you already driven 5000-10000 km ? the car is supposed to be much more efficient after that.
Moreover even at 35mpg in real life it still is extremely efficient compared to same sized cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Low pickup / bad mileage

I'm having the same issue right now-- but it's not consistent. Some observations:

1) I live in LA -- right now I'm having trouble accelerating and getting like 35mpg. It's driving like a prius and not like its normal self. In sport mode is the only mode I can not get honked at bc it's even slower pickup than normal. This all started at my last fill up so I'm suspicious of that gas station but don't really know. I may try 89 gas next fill up and see if that helps.

2) I usually get about 38-41 mpg with some hills / some not -- but when I go to the South Bay or Orange County for the day my mileage bumps up to 46-47 -- I've even gotten 51. I think it has to do with inclines and the grades of the roads, on and off ramps, etc. I know I go to the valley and back a lot-- so maybe that's part of it. But if I drive to MDR or Manhattan Beach-- mileage gold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Latest update:

I think they updated my system software (Spotify now displays track information perfectly!). I believe the low MPG is due to all the stoplights. Unfortunately the CT200h doesn't seem to respond the same way the my old prius did, using electric to start out at each stoplight. After the system update, and having my wife drive the car to her work for a week, the mpg is back where I expect it, 44+ mpg.

It is definitely not that the car doesn't get warmed up. Both mine and the wife's commute are almost identical in time and distance. However, I hit many more stoplights than she does.

The better test will be the next long trip that I take. For now, with my commute, 38 mpg seems to be the best I can get.

:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the update. I am glad to say that I have NOT had this issue and hope to never see it.

Just out of curiousity, how are you guys measuring your MPG? and is this MPG calculation over a tank of fuel, or just one particular trip? Maybe I am doing something wrong?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts