Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my car to Toyota for an oil change and they recommend a timing cover gasket reseal due to some oil leak. I asked what causes this and they said it is normal wear and tear but the service was $3578!! Anyone know if this is normal? thank you

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
22 Posts
First of all. The timing cover gasket is super easy to fix yourself. Second of all. do not fix it at Toyota. What city do you live in? You should take your car to a hybrid shop in your area. Every city has one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I live in Los Angeles do you have any recommendations? Are there any instructional videos I can watch to see if I can do the repairs myself?

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
22 Posts
I have located several hybrid car shops in Los Angeles, which is where you will want to take your car to.

Hybrid car shops Los Angeles- Google search link

Hybrid Fix - (310) 426-8432
Prius911 Hybrid Auto Repair And Service - (323) 523-6962
Electric Ave Silverlake - (323) 665-8807
Warner Auto Hybrid Shop inc. - (818) 992-0697

There are many of them, just call around and check the prices.

Definitely their price should be much less than what the dealer is charging. Its only a gasket.
One thing I am thinking also is that you should change your head gasket at the same time.

How many miles are on your car and what year is your car?

If you have significant miles on your car I would consider changing the head gasket as the same time if possible. (Just a thought).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have located several hybrid car shops in Los Angeles, which is where you will want to take your car to.

Hybrid car shops Los Angeles- Google search link

Hybrid Fix - (310) 426-8432
Prius911 Hybrid Auto Repair And Service - (323) 523-6962
Electric Ave Silverlake - (323) 665-8807
Warner Auto Hybrid Shop inc. - (818) 992-0697

There are many of them, just call around and check the prices.

Definitely their price should be much less than what the dealer is charging. Its only a gasket.
One thing I am thinking also is that you should change your head gasket at the same time.

How many miles are on your car and what year is your car?

If you have significant miles on your car I would consider changing the head gasket as the same time if possible. (Just a thought).
Car is 2011 but still a baby in terms of mileage at 71k. Thank you for the shop recommendations Ill definitey take a look. I had a friend take a look at was told there is basically no leak but some seepage. With that price tag it has to be a pretty severe leak with puddles under the car for me to want to do repairs. Think I will take it in for a second opnion next time around. Thank you very much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts