Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so just got the car on friday...
drove till today, which is 340 miles...

refilled till it stopped filling at 8.8 gallons.

so by that calculations, i got 38 miles mpg.

not to shabby if i might say... since i've been driving it in sports mode most of the time.

also i put 91 premium vpower shell gas to see if it makes any difference.
if it does not, then i will switch back to 87.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I must admit that when I put in chevron and 91 I got more miles... It was about 6 bucks difference though.

On my first fillup I did chevron and 91 and got about 390
Now I use no brand gas and 87 and get about 340-350..

Yes I've heard it doesn't make a difference and all that but these are the results I got.
But if you do calculate it out: the 87 is a better deal.

However, I am curious whether or not I would get better mpg with chevron and 91 now that I have passed my break in period.. Dont know if it's worth the try since I dont want to keep switching grades

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i drove in sports mode about 60% of the time on the first tank, so i got 340 miles...

are you driving on sports mode? or high revving the car?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Just an observation, but if you're only getting 38 MPG on your first tank since buying the car, are you breaking it in/taking it easy on the gas? My lowest MPG on a full tank in this car is 44 MPG or so. Thinking if you drove 340 miles in 3 days, it must have been mostly highway?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an observation, but if you're only getting 38 MPG on your first tank since buying the car, are you breaking it in/taking it easy on the gas? My lowest MPG on a full tank in this car is 44 MPG or so. Thinking if you drove 340 miles in 3 days, it must have been mostly highway?
wasn't 3 days, and i drove with sports mode about 60% of the time...

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
wasn't 3 days, and i drove with sports mode about 60% of the time...
Sorry, didn't see the date you posted and had assumed that. That would have been a ton of driving!

·
Registered
200 Posts
so just got the car on friday...
drove till today, which is 340 miles...

refilled till it stopped filling at 8.8 gallons.

so by that calculations, i got 38 miles mpg.

not to shabby if i might say... since i've been driving it in sports mode most of the time.

also i put 91 premium vpower shell gas to see if it makes any difference.
if it does not, then i will switch back to 87.
You should see a steady increase in the mileage if you drive the car properly. 400 miles on a tank should be reachable on just over 8 gallons of gas.
I have been getting mileage of 47-49 mpg on 87 octane regular. I drive almost exclusively in "Normal" mode.
High test 91 is probably a waste. The Ct200h is not a high performance engine and doesn't need that extra boost

CT200H, Starfire Pearl, Premium, Navigation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Filled up for the first time today, put in 8.645 gallons with 366.4 miles showing up on the Trip A odometer, which comes out to 42.38 mpg. I assume efficiency only gets better after the engine passes its break-in period. My previous Civic would've taken around 10.5-11 gallons to reach that point. My commute is mostly freeway speeds (65-70mph).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update....

drove 285 miles before i decided to fill up...

and filled up 7.2 gallons

so that equals up to 39.6 mpg...

not bad since i've been driving aggressively...

·
Registered
180 Posts
The mileage is creaping on up there :) Looking good.

My dealer told me not to use premium gas in the CT. The Atkinson Cycle engine has very low compression and will not benefit from the higher octane. The mileage may actualy be worse with premium than regular in colder weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Around here (Wisconsin) I always get premium because it doesn't have any ethanol in it (if you buy it at the right stations). Even my brother-in-law puts premium in his beater cars because they run much better without ethanol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've been putting premium onli because i think it lasts longer, and there is less ethanol that can corrode the engine more.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
i've been putting premium onli because i think it lasts longer
What do you mean by that? Are you saying you "think" it gets better mileage?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i mean that, i drove on a trip in a previous car and used both types of gas 87 and 91 to test mpg, and notice that 91 seemed to last longer. Specifically Shell gas, so i only use 91 shell gas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update....

drove 300 miles before i decided to fill up again... still had about 50-100 miles left in the tank.

filled up about 7.2 gallons again

so calculated it, came out to be 41.7 mpg

looks like it is getting up there... also i've been driving in sports mode bout 30% of the time.

looks like it's either breaking in better, or opening up that restrictive filter has done something.
also i've been using 91 gas.

·
Registered
239 Posts
update....

drove 300 miles before i decided to fill up again... still had about 50-100 miles left in the tank.

filled up about 7.2 gallons again

so calculated it, came out to be 41.7 mpg

looks like it is getting up there... also i've been driving in sports mode bout 30% of the time.

looks like it's either breaking in better, or opening up that restrictive filter has done something.
also i've been using 91 gas.
I may have only gotten a C in math, but it sounds like you had over 200 miles left in the tank.

12 - 7.2 = 4.8 gallons left * 41.7 mpg = 200.16 miles left.

91 octane gas is just a waste of money in this vehicle IMHO, it's simply not tuned to use it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'm just going by what the odo said... also the E light turns on at 3 gallons left.

your not going to drive all 11.9 gallons worth of gas...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ethanol = dirty engine and dirty air

91 octane gas is just a waste of money in this vehicle IMHO, it's simply not tuned to use it.
In my mind it is all about the ethanol. Low octane = ethanol = dirty engine and dirty air. Not all high-octane gas is free of ethanol, but it is the only grade (around here) that has a chance of being ethanol-free. By law (in Wisconsin at least) they have to put whether or not the particular grade of gas may have ethanol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts