Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I’m a complete rookie so be gentile!
Just sold my 2001 LS430 with 150k trouble-free miles and decided to go for some MPG's with a little style. Obviously, the size and comfort of the LS is unsurpassed; I even got 25mpg's on long road trips, like driving to Vegas. In the real world it would ave. 18-19, which is still respectable for a large luxury automobile.
90% of my driving is alone, going to work and meetings, so cruising around an empty LS seemed a bit excessive.
I think my main problem is I’m not sure how I should be driving the CT. I find myself concentrating so much on trying to maximize the MPG’s, that I’m not enjoying the drive. Like trying to accelerate to 15-20MPH while still in EV mode, I actually get upset when the motor kicks in too early!
Should I just drive it like a normal car, or do I have to completely change my driving habits in order to enjoy better gas mileage? Is there a happy medium?
Any tips you care to offer would be appreciated, I just may be over-thinking this. Maybe I should just turn the stereo on and drive and let the CT take care of the rest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Drive your car normally...

Some people on here drive exclusively ONLY in sport mode and still get great mileage...

I don't understand hypermile-ing and trying to use EV mode/ECO mode exessively as a way of trying to get better mileage.

I drive normally. Normal mode. Sport mode when I'm entering freeway on ramps or catching up with the flow of traffic.

When you have the road to yourself or no one is behind you cruise a little and "wait for the EV car logo light to come on dash" that way you'll be in EV mode at a respectable speed.

I really irks me when I see people in hybrids drive so slowwwwwww especially at the start of the green light, and I know they are trying to monitor their power meter to make sure they are in the "ECO" range and trying to avoid "POWER"

I mean damn, we are getting 43 mpg combined when driving normally, 45-49 when driving normally and taking advantage of certain situations, but if you're trying to get anything over 50+ you are driving like a granny.

What's the point? We are already getting great gas mileage, why ruin the fun/driveability of our sporty hybrid (CT 200h) just for a gain of a few miles here and there???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and I'm VERY happy to hear that. I was afraid I would be "that guy" holding up traffic, etc. On my way home from work, I put a CD on and drove...actually enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats hilarious! i bought my CT a few weeks ago and trying to get better MPG's its funny you said that about the "green light driving slowly" because I do that, you made a valuable point on saying "just drive it" next time I wont go so slow upon leaving a green light. Other drivers behind me prolly get pissed, I know I would if I saw a granny driver :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
This is my S.O.P. (Standard Operation procedure)
  • Open the car
  • Connect the Phone/Music device via USB
  • Turn on the car
  • Turn on the Sport Mode
  • Go!!!
I drive my car as any other (I’m the rabbit jump guy in each light) and only take a look at the MPG avg when re-fuel.

Said that my Avg after 4200 miles is 40.5mpg and I’m very happy with that :)

Just enjoy your ride

Diego

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here, here! I agree with the consensus... and I'm a Gentile too! I'm not sure why you don't want Jewish responses, however. LOL...

I've been stressing about getting higher MPG's based on what I've seen others here getting, and I'm not, so I've changed my driving style to be closer to that of the "Granny" genre. No more... Thanks for reminding me that I got this car to save a little money on fuel, but not to stop having fun driving. I shall also be cranking up the stereo on the way home today and I'll be in Sport Mode!

Cheers,
Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hypermile my 2012 Prius but such antics are better performed after you have grown accustomed to how the HSD system works. Then do research on how to hypermile the CT and Prius. Great fuel economy can be had by simply driving the car like a good citizen. Fantastic fuel economy comes with experience. ;)

Like the others have stated above, just enjoy the car for awhile then worry about fuel economy.

BTW, accelerating to 15-18mph in EV then firing the ICE is an advanced hypermiling technique. Don't use it yet. Instead, just accelerate moderately to get up to desired speed then lift off the throttle and reapply just enough throttle to maintain speed. Then pretend you have no brakes! Lift off the throttle well before your next intended stop.

Here is how you hypermile a GenIII Prius. Most of the principles apply to the CT!

Using advanced techniques, mpg like this is possible. :) 109mpg no hills

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't express how happy I am to find this forum, and acted on everyone's advice to just drive it and enjoy. Paid no attention to mileage on my commute home last night and into the office this
morning and was pleasantly surprised to see.....
Speedometer Auto part Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument

So as they say in poker, "I'm all in"! No regrets, time to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't express how happy I am to find this forum, and acted on everyone's advice to just drive it and enjoy. Paid no attention to mileage on my commute home last night and into the office this
morning and was pleasantly surprised to see.....
View attachment 39471
So as they say in poker, "I'm all in"! No regrets, time to enjoy the ride.
i bet the commute was more enjoyable too. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi
This is my S.O.P. (Standard Operation procedure)
  • Open the car
  • Connect the Phone/Music device via USB
  • Turn on the car
  • Turn on the Sport Mode
  • Go!!!
I drive my car as any other (I’m the rabbit jump guy in each light) and only take a look at the MPG avg when re-fuel.

Said that my Avg after 4200 miles is 40.5mpg and I’m very happy with that :)

Just enjoy your ride

Diego
Woot! You are my long lost twin! :p Except MY CT has 45 MPG in Sport Mode! Take that! Haha Just kidding. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't criticize anyone for how slow or fast they choose to go. Sometimes I drive it "like I stole it", other times (when I am in no rush and no traffic and enjoying and XM radio program or book on tape) I cruise to maximize fuel economy. The handling is surprisingly good!

I find getting high mileage can be like playing a video game where I try to score the most points. My best tank was 60 MPG. There are many parameters to high mileage other than how you drive it. The length of your trip (short trips with a cold engine suck gas), weather (colder really effedts MPG), tire air pressure all have effects. Also, after the car breaks in (about 10K miles), the economy improves....I don't know if that is from driver experience or the car becoming more efficient. Of my three cars, the CT is the least expensive but usually my first choice when I choose which one to drive.

Enjoy your new car...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find getting high mileage can be like playing a video game where I try to score the most points.

Enjoy your new car...
Man, I love this analogy. I got a CPO so the XM demo was already expired, many people say it's worth ir for only a few bucks so I'll have to figure out how to add it or at least demo it.

THank you for the reply.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, I also cruise and coast when the situation is right like emejay said, when you're in no rush and there is no traffic...

I do have a problem when prius/insert hybrid here, thinks its a snail's race on a 1 lane road, going under the speed limit slowing down traffic, or just impeding traffic in general with hypermile-ing.

When you're at a stop light and the light turns green, if the guy riding the bike have a faster take off than you, you really need to get off the road and purchase a bicycle or running shoes...just saying

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick thank you to all of the great comments, between discovering this forum and my first stop at the gas station I can honestly say that any regrets are definately over.

My wife wanted to take the CT on a long road trip, so thought I would be nice and top the tank off for her. You should have seen the grin on my face when the pump clicked off at only 5-gallons for 1/2 a tank. I actually thought it wasn't finished!

Averaged just over 40mpg on my first 203 miles which is more than double the LS. At 18mpg ave the LS would have gulped 11.27 gallons vs. the CT's 5 gallons, and in So Cal right now we're at $4.65/gallon.

Case Closed, the CT is here to stay!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel White

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my CT for less than a week and I can totally identify with so many of the remarks on this thread. The best part: this car is so different and unique it has a learning curve! I don't know how long it's been since I had a car that I really wanted to research and learn about and refine a technique with. This is cool stuff and it's fun to be part of. For the record: did a day in Eco mode today and felt like big brother was watching me the whole time. Tomorrow I'll do a day in sport mode for comparison.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.