Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Upgraded/Replaced my 2015 Halogens to 2018+ LED Headlights. You can find them on eBay or Yahoo auctions typically close/around ~$2K.
I used the OEM LED Headlight retrofit/wire harness guide by joey to guide me in the right direction in making a conversion harness.

I’ve read various/conflicting info regarding how to wire up the newer headlights, the pin out, differing wiring color schemes between models, etc. so I found that the best way was to figure out the new headlight pin out on my own. I did not wire up the Self-Leveling module (yet) as my stock halogens/chassis wire harness did not have them.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Bumper Headlamp

Parts used.
  • Lo Beam H11 Male connector x2
  • Hi Beam 5-Pin Male Connector Part #90980-11598 x2
  • Parking/DRL 6-Pin Male Connector Part #90980-11193 x2
  • 2018+ Main LED 8-Pin Female Connector Part #90980-10897 x2
  • 18 Gauge AWG copper wire
  • Terminals with Seals/Grommets
  • Open Barrel Terminal Crimper Molex Plier Tool
Note: If you de/re-pin the stock chassis harness plugs into connector 90980-10897, you won’t need the stock 5-Pin & 6-Pin connectors (90980-11598 & 90980-11193). You can buy most of the plugs on amazon or the Toyota dealer.

There are 7 solid colors (White, Green, Blue, Grey, Yellow, Black, Red) on the main 8-Pin plug on the 2018+ headlights. I started by making an 8-Pin pigtail harness using Female Connector Part #90980-10897. I assumed white & black were ground, then using a voltmeter to verify most of the pin out, then using a 9V battery to see what powered on. If anyone gets a pair, make sure you verify your own pin out (may vary) by using a voltmeter and testing it on your own.

The headlights I purchased did not have the turn signal indicator bulb/socket. The old halogen ones do not fit, so I modified them to work by using a razor blade to trim the socket plug tabs. They fit well, no problems so I did not bother to find the appropriate bulb socket/plug part # for the newer headlights

I took my front bumper off, mounted the new headlights, double checked its function by using the pigtail to plug in the wiring one by one to the stock harness, then measuring & cutting to length, then proceed to crimping on the terminals and placing them in the appropriate parts of the connectors. I haven’t figured out what Grey Pin #4 was for, but my Lo/Hi, DRL, Parking lights all work well without throwing a check headlight sensor indicator.

·
Registered
Obsidian Lexus 2015 CT 200h F-Sport
26 Posts

Upgraded/Replaced my 2015 Halogens to 2018+ LED Headlights. You can find them on eBay or Yahoo auctions typically close/around ~$2K.
I used the OEM LED Headlight retrofit/wire harness guide by joey to guide me in the right direction in making a conversion harness.

I’ve read various/conflicting info regarding how to wire up the newer headlights, the pin out, differing wiring color schemes between models, etc. so I found that the best way was to figure out the new headlight pin out on my own. I did not wire up the Self-Leveling module (yet) as my stock halogens/chassis wire harness did not have them.
View attachment 61101
Parts used.
Note: If you de/re-pin the stock chassis harness plugs into connector 90980-10897, you won’t need the stock 5-Pin & 6-Pin connectors (90980-11598 & 90980-11193). You can buy most of the plugs on amazon or the Toyota dealer.

There are 7 solid colors (White, Green, Blue, Grey, Yellow, Black, Red) on the main 8-Pin plug on the 2018+ headlights. I started by making an 8-Pin pigtail harness using Female Connector Part #90980-10897. I assumed white & black were ground, then using a voltmeter to verify most of the pin out, then using a 9V battery to see what powered on. If anyone gets a pair, make sure you verify your own pin out (may vary) by using a voltmeter and testing it on your own.

The headlights I purchased did not have the turn signal indicator bulb/socket. The old halogen ones do not fit, so I modified them to work by using a razor blade to trim the socket plug tabs. They fit well, no problems so I did not bother to find the appropriate bulb socket/plug part # for the newer headlights

I took my front bumper off, mounted the new headlights, double checked its function by using the pigtail to plug in the wiring one by one to the stock harness, then measuring & cutting to length, then proceed to crimping on the terminals and placing them in the appropriate parts of the connectors. I haven’t figured out what Grey Pin #4 was for, but my Lo/Hi, DRL, Parking lights all work well without throwing a check headlight sensor indicator.
Where did you find these? I can't seem to find any listings on ebay...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you find these? I can't seem to find any listings on ebay...

The easiest way to search would be to sort from Highest price first so you don't see all the bulbs as much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
These are so much cleaner than the older LED lights. They really make the car look much like the rest of the current Lexus line up. Awesome job. Not sure where you are but there is another white f-sport here in the bay area with these lights as well.

Regarding the self leveling units. If your car did not come with this prior to the upgrade, you'll need to buy the sensors that sit in the wheel wells along with the wiring harness. I do not know if you will also need to code the ECU to let it know about the leveling unit as well.

And kudos for providing the write up for these lights to the community!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Questions. Did you have them imported from Japan? If so then must be RHD. Any issues from the light output or cutoff? I really wanted those headlamps and want the taillights (need the middle part of the trunk to make them fit).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Questions. Did you have them imported from Japan? If so then must be RHD. Any issues from the light output or cutoff? I really wanted those headlamps and want the taillights (need the middle part of the trunk to make them fit).
Got them shipped from overseas from eBay. Since they are RHD, I temporarily lowered the beam level so I'm not blinding oncoming traffic due to the cutoff.

I'm going to be doing the taillight conversion as well.

·
Registered
2015 CT200h base silver lining
25 Posts

View attachment 61101
Parts used.

Thanks for post! I’d love to put those on my 2015.
If I were to order those from eBay how many hours of labor would you estimate it would be if I took it to a Lexus mechanic?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update 1/3/22
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Decided to install the 2018+ F-Sport Fog Lamp Bezels since I’m unsure when my order for 2018+ F-Sport radiator grill(s) arrive. I like the newer/modern weave pattern better, the only downside is that it has a license plate frame on the lower radiator grill. I’ll figure out a proper delete later for a sleeker look. I didn’t like the big faux vents bezels at first, but they grew onto me.
Office equipment Wood Automotive design Hood Rectangle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

It was a little difficult trying to figure out how to accurately line it up well due to the mounting tabs on the bezel. I found that starting from the inner to outward worked best for me. Lining up (as best I could) the lower mounting holes underneath helped guide me, marked the areas, then used a dremel to make the slots (8-9). I messed up some holes, but luckily it’s all hidden and I’m not afraid of some bodywork. After getting one side done, I taped some paper together to make a template for the slots (used the body lines as markers). Then I flipped that template over to the other side, marked it up, made the slots, test fit, adjust accordingly, then secured it with the retainer clips (x8 per side).
Helmet Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for post! I’d love to put those on my 2015.
If I were to order those from eBay how many hours of labor would you estimate it would be if I took it to a Lexus mechanic?
Hmm.. bumper/headlight removal 30-45 minutes, wiring all depends on the knowledge and approach you decide on maybe 1-2 hours. I took longer cause I was constantly checking the wiring, powering them on, before I crimped or even pinned the terminal to the connector.

·
Registered
2015 CT200h base silver lining
25 Posts
Hmm.. bumper/headlight removal 30-45 minutes, wiring all depends on the knowledge and approach you decide on maybe 1-2 hours. I took longer cause I was constantly checking the wiring, powering them on, before I crimped or even pinned the terminal to the connector.
Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts