Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Should I keep the Protection Coverage Plan?

• No way! You got up-sold!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a 2015 F-Sport with 112k miles. Felt great about this decision reading that these cars can get to 200k, 300k miles without much issue.

The dealership up-sold me the “Fidelity Carefree” engine/transmission/drive axle protection plan: $1800 for 4 years or 48000 mi coverage.

The big reason I bought this car is for its reliability and low maintenance. Is this protection plan necessary? What are my chances for engine failure or a gasket exploding in the next 4 years? I drive about 4000 mi / year.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
407 Posts
Seeing as how the car has nearly 2x the annual miles than average, I would get the extra peace of mind that the coverage offers. The average driver drives @13000 a year. You can look up the exact maintenance history of the car on Lexus website.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seeing as how the car has nearly 2x the annual miles than average, I would get the extra peace of mind that the coverage offers. The average driver drives @13000 a year. You can look up the exact maintenance history of the car on Lexus website.
Thanks for the tip on looking up service history. Looks like there haven't been any major issues and the previous owner serviced the car at 55k, 60k, 67k, 72k, 79k, 85k, 93k, 100k, 106k. At 112k (prior to my purchase) the drive belts were checked. Hopefully this means this car was well serviced and will continue to run without issue...

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you can make absolute certain the oil was changed regularly, and the car does not look abused in any way, you "should not" need it. However, you want to drive the car regularly, if you plan on parking the car for weeks in a row without driving, you are running a bigger chance of having a battery failure, far more than the engine or transmission going bad. I would drive it a few thousand miles, go on a couple of trips and make sure the car runs perfect. My 2014 CT just hit 114k but I changed the oil every 5k as opposed to the recommended 10k, so I know whoever gets my car when I sell it, will get a good running, clean engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts