Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I bought a 2012 Prius earlier this year because my job changed and I have a 65 mile commute (each way). While I love the MPG I'm getting with my Prius (it's a regular prius - level 5 with Advance Tech Package), I'm not crazy about the handling... It always seems "squirrely" at highway speeds.

Is the CT this way also?? And is the actual MPG of the CT lower than advertised (also like the Prius)?

I don't know why I didn't look at the CT before I bought my Prius.. Wish I did, cuz from what I've seen, I think I would like it... and I used to have an RX-300 and the whole Lexus service experience is awesome..

Anyway, I look forward to comments on handling vs. Prius... Thanks.

Tom
Hayward, CA

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love the handling of my CT.

The wife and I went to the Toyota dealer to look at Prius's before we went to see the CT (see the lower priced, aka more practical car 1st). Good thing the wife objected and said straight out to the sales lady "We hate it, sorry, but we're not buying a Prius".

The CT is stable. Feels like it sits lower than the Prius. It handles like a car that should have more horsepower. I had the pleasure of driving it up and down a mountain road with my mountain bike on a hitch rack a couple of weeks ago, and I was all smiles. Felt better than my stock 02 WRX when I had it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ive owner both ( Prius 5 ) and now the CT, my milleage is about the same but the driving experience is soooooo much better! Prius is a good familly car but im alone always in the car and the build quality just worth it!

232 Posts
CT is superior than any Prius

If you go stritcly by spec's the CT is not that much better than Prius. I test drove Prius before I got my CT, and believe me in real life every day driving the CT handles so much better. The CT suspension is far superior than the Prius, it got independent double wishbone link in the back, plus Yamaha lateral bracing to dampen the MacPherson struts up in the front. Then it got R17x7J rims with 45 profile LRR rated Michelin Primacy MXM4 P215x45R17 tires. The engine in the CT is the same 2ZR-FXE 1.8L 4 cylinder banger as in the Prius, but the major difference is that Lexus acoustic engineers spared no cost in quieting the CT down. If you open the hood in the CT, you will see comprehensive engine shrouds which acts as acoustic panels to reduce wind hiss and road noises; thick insulation under the hood, in the firewall and under the engine. Plus you got electric rack and pinion steering. The seats are superior than my 2009 BMW e93 in comfort. The luxury trim in the cabin is typical of Lexus. Of course with all this you got the weight penalty. Prius 3 have higher mpg, but is par with the Prius V, which did not made this year's EPA Clean Vehicle Program either. I am averaging 48.3 mpg on NYC's inner city streets, and here in NJ highways about 46 mpg.

On the straight runs you won't be able to beat either an eighteen wheeler, nor Johan Blake nor Usain Bolt; but Prius will not do much better either, but once you get on a twisty hilly mountain roads I bet you will be glad that you got the CT instead of the Prius.:cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
We owned a Prius before the CT and find the CT much more stable. Mileage is a bit lower. We average about 44mpg on a 40 mile commute.
Visibility out the rear window is my only gripe. The Prius is no winner there either, but it was better than this. I know that the wider tires on the CT are going to be more costly than the Prius. they even warn you on a window sticker about the tires not lasting much more than 20k miles.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The CT handling is very good, especially on the highway (it's stable and "planted" and the steering isn't over boosted) and the cornering is great. Besides, you get to sit in a much nicer, more comfortable interior and listen to a much nicer stereo too.
Actually, the JBL stereo in the Prius beats the premium CT200h stereo hands down. The CT200h stereo is only better if you have the ML system which isn't avaialble in the USA.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I had the JBL and I can't really say it was better than the upgraded one in my CT
Tonic,

You might be correct the Prius v Five, JBL since they went the Greenedge speakers. The Prius I was comparing was a 2010 Prius with the Advanced Technology Package, 3rd Gen Prius Model V, and doesn't have the Greenedge speakers; It also is not exactly the same sound plane; but hey if you think your upgrade ( I assume you meant Premium speakers, because I agree an upgrade from the Premium does sound phenomenally better) sound better great; I personally didn't think The Premium CT sounded better than the JBLs in the 2010 3rd Gen Prius model V with ATP, but then I am pretty picking about sound quality. I tend to compare all to my home theater system.

Take Care,

MidCow3

·
Registered
11 Posts
And is the actual MPG of the CT lower than advertised (also like the Prius)?

Tom
Hayward, CA
The Prius easily achieves the EPA mpg estimates and is often well above those estimates IF you drive it like the EPA testing procedures! If you run 17" wheels you can expect a 2-3mpg drop over the 15" tires and an even larger drop when using aftermarket 15" tires vs. good aftermarket 15" tires. I regularly experience a 6mpg-8mpg drop when swapping between LRR 17s and LRR 15s on my 2005 and 2012 Prius.

You may also be driving too fast to achieve EPA rated mpg. Driving at 70-75mph will make it hard to hit 50mpg with a 17" wheel equipped Prius unless you know how to use hypermiling techniques. Speed simply kills fuel economy in any car. If you want great fuel economy then slow down. :)

FWIW, if you are getting poor economy in your Prius you are going to do even worse in a CT but you may have more fun doing it. ;)

If you want max mpg for your commute simply trade me those 17" wheels for my 15" wheels with Energy Saver A/S tires! LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
I drove my friend's Prius. I found the Prius's ride to be "mushy" compared toy CT. There was a lot more body roll too. Taking corners seems a lot tighter in the CT. I also found the digital dash display on the Prius more confusing. This may be due to the fact that I'm used to the CT's dash. I find the analog tach display easier to read, more intuitive, and more refined. Also standard heated "Nuluxe" seats is nice, though you could get a leather option in the Prius.

One thing is for sure though, the Prius has a lot more room. The CT has very little cargo space with the rear seats up, and my 2007 Honda Civic had more passenger room in the rear.

I think the trade off is sportiness for space and practicality.

I prefer the CT's driving experience over the Prius. Both are great cars though.

For what its worth.....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife just had the Prius+ delivered. I drive the CT for four months now. The engines are the same, so the differences are really in the handling and looks, which were discussed already. I really like the CT, but the design of the onboard computer system REALLY sucks, especially compared to the software on the Prius+ system. The CT navigation and audio screens look like a slightly pepped up Windows 95 interface. Yuck! Similarly, the center console is very cluttered and interrupted by needless "seams"... .

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife just had the Prius+ delivered. I drive the CT for four months now. The engines are the same, so the differences are really in the handling and looks, which were discussed already. I really like the CT, but the design of the onboard computer system REALLY sucks, especially compared to the software on the Prius+ system. The CT navigation and audio screens look like a slightly pepped up Windows 95 interface. Yuck! Similarly, the center console is very cluttered and interrupted by needless "seams"... .
The 2013 ct200h model has an upgraded navigation system doesn't look dated anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts