Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

This is my first post here and I look forward to being a part of the group. I purchased a used 2012 Lexus CT200h in June of this year and have loved the car so far! Purchased with 94K miles and the car currently has 112K. I drive a lot for work and am really enjoying the fuel milage plus the style and upgraded interior/sound system over my previous ride. The only issue I am having is the car seems to be using what I think to be excessive oil between oil changes. During a span of 10K miles between changes, I estimate that I have had to add AT LEAST 3 quarts of oil (next oil change I will keep a log of oil added). I am using Mobil 1 High Milage 0W-20 oil and I perform the oil & filter change myself. I had the car inspected by a local Toyota Dealer prior to purchase but I doubt they could have diagnosed this issue during a routine pre-purchase inspection that I only paid $125 for. The car is parked in a garage in the same spot every day and there is no oil on the concrete so I must assume it is getting burned in the engine during use. I also searched the forum but i've seen that most say the CT200h has NO oil use issues so I wanted to see if any others have had my experience by chance..

Has anyone else had this oil usage experience and found resolution?
Is anyone running thicker oil than the factory recommendation?

Thanks for any help! I plan to take to talk to Lexus but wanted to check everyone's experience here first.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have a 2011 with almost the exact same miles. I have zero oil consumption, so I can't speak to your issue on this car, expect to say that it is definitely not normal. I have had this issue on other older cars, especially some old trucks. It is caused by the seals inside the engine failing causing oil to be burned along with the gasoline. There are some products that claim to help slow this down or stop it by "conditioning" seals, like Seafoam or high mileage oil. Generally mixed success rate and they are generally considered a short term fix. The only real fix is to replace those seals which requires taking apart the engine and rebuilding it. Not cheap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my CT when the Maint. Req. warning comes on I'm usually down a quart. That's at about 5,000 miles and I change every 10K. My CT has 110K on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are many people who have this issue, including me. Mine goes through 5 quarts between changes, and I’m on my second engine. 260k total miles on vehicle. People out there and Lexus themselves will tell you that this is rare and all that, but what they won’t tell you is that there is a Service Bulletin and that this is a well known issue in engine 2ZR-FXE (T-SB-0168-16). They downplay it because this they have already been forced to repair under warranty enhancements engine 2AZ-FE for, you guessed it, excessive oil consumption. This engine was in camrys, corollas, rav4, and some scions. This engine is extremely similar. They won’t acknowledge it. Please file this issue and any other issue that you experience with your vehicle on NHTSA.gov it is the only way to get them to act.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just noticed this issue with my 2013 w/83,000 miles on it. I've used Lexus service for all maintenance since I bought it with 30k miles. The disturbing thing was that I drove from Chicago to Denver and during a drive our of the mountains, I noticed the oil lamp flash. I pulled over to check it and it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. I added two quarts, but it was still low. It took just over 3 quarts to get it up to the proper level. This sucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts