Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering an '11 or '12 CT200h as a short commuter car. Basically, a hybrid would be best in my case. I'm wondering if the '11s are still reliable.

Is there anything I should be on the look out for regarding this vehicle?
Is it solid? I did a search and seems like most people like the car. Just wondering what my maintenance or repair bills would look like for the next few years.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I cannot speak for 2011 but I just got a 2013 with 50k on it last month. I've already put 5000k miles on it. Runs awesome and gets great mileage. Iwould look for one with lower mileage. Also check vehicle history for multiple owners. The prius power and drive train are pretty bullet proof. Just routine maintenance. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
There's no mechanical difference in terms of powertrain, as far as I'm aware, among the entire CT range of model years. The powertrain is proven and is one of the most reliable.

Maintenance is one of the lowest cost types you'll find, and as long as the car has been well-maintained, your problems should be nearly non-existent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The wife and I are really thinking of getting a ct200h as our next car. We would be looking at used with less than 40k miles, not really sure of the year. But having never owned a hybrid of any sort (and my ignorance), the one thing I am worried about is the life of the batteries. Can anyone shed some light on how reliable they are based on the age and how long they should last? Are they a major expense to replace if needed? Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe Toyota has said batteries were designed to last almost 200K miles. But there are many Priuses (or is it Prii?) with higher mileage that are still running reliably. Had a coworker that put 250K on his before he traded it - still running fine. Since the CT200h is a 3rd generation Prius powertrain, I wouldn't think it would be any different. Of course there can be good and bad examples of any car...

If you haven't already, you may want to check Prius forums. There are a lot more of them out there than CTs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As I understand it, the hybrid battery was designed to last a certain amount of time, not so much due to miles driven. It was tuned so it can charge and discharge over and over without wearing down the battery like normal batteries would. Most of what I have read shows these batteries usually failing after 10 years. Even then, they don't cost much to replace.

Toyota hybrid battery replacement cost guide (2016 update)

If you replace your battery within 8 years, or 100k miles, it's under warranty, which makes it free. Otherwise, doing it aftermarket is less expensive.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...ve-to-cost-thousands-of-dollars/#27fcce9b3ee9

I think we're all fine if we lose our batteries, as long as we don't go with a brand-new one from a dealer. Considering how I drive, I may need a brand new one...but at least I knew that going into buying my CT.

Oh and if it makes any of you feel any better, at 327,000 miles, I have yet to see any MPG lost or diminished battery performance. My battery still charges and discharges normally, and is always at the same level in the morning as it was the night before. I do drive it 6 days a week, but even the day after the one day I don't drive it, it still maintains its charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I understand it, the hybrid battery was designed to last a certain amount of time, not so much due to miles driven. It was tuned so it can charge and discharge over and over without wearing down the battery like normal batteries would. Most of what I have read shows these batteries usually failing after 10 years. Even then, they don't cost much to replace.

Toyota hybrid battery replacement cost guide (2016 update)

If you replace your battery within 8 years, or 100k miles, it's under warranty, which makes it free. Otherwise, doing it aftermarket is less expensive.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...ve-to-cost-thousands-of-dollars/#27fcce9b3ee9

I think we're all fine if we lose our batteries, as long as we don't go with a brand-new one from a dealer. Considering how I drive, I may need a brand new one...but at least I knew that going into buying my CT.

Oh and if it makes any of you feel any better, at 327,000 miles, I have yet to see any MPG lost or diminished battery performance. My battery still charges and discharges normally, and is always at the same level in the morning as it was the night before. I do drive it 6 days a week, but even the day after the one day I don't drive it, it still maintains its charge.
Thanks for all the info. Seems we may be sold on this car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm considering an '11 or '12 CT200h as a short commuter car. Basically, a hybrid would be best in my case. I'm wondering if the '11s are still reliable.

Is there anything I should be on the look out for regarding this vehicle?
Is it solid? I did a search and seems like most people like the car. Just wondering what my maintenance or repair bills would look like for the next few years.

Thanks all!
we only just got our 2011 model and its in awesome condition, maybe one issue but its expected to have a few niggles here and there, best wishes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.