Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I found the posts on this board very informative and they inspired me to do some upgrades. So i figured I would contribute. I did the sub upgrade and also installed a wireless QI phone holder/charger. My budget is very limited, so I scoured the internet for the cheapest prices for decent products.

These are the models I used:

Kicker Monoblock Class D DX Series Amplifier : purchased new on ebay for $85.
Kicker COMVT CVT 8 : 8" woofer purchased new on ebay for $60.
Boss Wiring kit : from amazon for $15 .

The project took around 12 hours. It could be done a lot quicker if you are familiar with taking all the parts off to get to the sub box, and also helps if you are moderate techie.
The factory sub has a two part problem. First, the speaker is anemic, it barely weighs anything. The magnet is the top part with the rubber going around it as shown in the attached pictures. The second problem is that amp is not powerful enough to drive even the weak 6" speaker.
First I hooked up the amp and plugged it to the original sub to see how big of a difference it would make. It made a significant difference but the bass just wasn't strong enough for my taste. I would say it was 30-40% improvement over the stock amp. Then I put the 8" kicker in the box (which was quite a bit of work) and then plugged it into the factory amp. I did not notice much of an improvement, as the factory amp barely drove the kicker. So, if you want a proper upgrade, you will have to replace both the speaker and amp.

Fitting the speaker into the 6" enclosure will take some cutting of the speaker body and of the box, but all the cutting was on plastic parts. I used the dremel for this. There is just not enough room to fit the 8" speaker, so I had to make room. The outer ring of the speaker, which is only for aesthetics, was the first to go. I did this with needled nose pliers. The inner ring of sub box where the 6" used to seat also had to go.
Once I could sit the kicker into the hole, I used some wood screws to secure it to the box. Putting the box back was a slight challenge, as the back of the kicker is larger than the stock speaker. The box had to be forced to close and then the screws had to be put back in a certain order (opposite ends went in first), then the last few screws had to be replaced by longer screws because the holes were out of alignment. There were slight gaps in the box that were filled with putty and heavy duty tape.

It was all well wort it for me. I don't listen to much rap or R&B, but they do shake my seat without any rattling that I can hear from inside the car.
Let me know if you guys have any questions or comments.

Hopefully the shared album works.

https://plus.google.com/photos/116674071277151747941/albums/6096069520142016929

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey OP, just wanted to say thanks! I used your post in order to do this same upgrade, system seems much better now without a lack of bass, over powers the rest of the speakers (going to have to upgrade those at some point too now.

I'll do a write up on this for sure, but I don't have man pics for it. I'll do what I can!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently replaced the sub in my premium setup. Just took the existing sub wiring and ran it to the amplifier which I put into the trunk. Got a line output converter that acts as the amp remote power. As OP said, I had to heavily modify the box to get the sub to fit. Using some putty though made it fit decent enough. Works great and sound much much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts