Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I'm reading, for winter tires having 16" versus the stock 17" rims is likely better on the CT200h. Better chance at surviving potholes, and with the narrower width more pounds/sq-in on the contact surface.

Anyone with experience as to the pros/cons of the 16" versus 17" rims for winter?
I'd guess that most of any mileage loss can be mitigated by the choice of winter tire. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires or Nokian Haakepelitta R2 (either in 205/55-16) are tested and reviewed with great performance and low rolling resistance.

·
380 Posts
Having a taller sidewall will help protect the wheels a little more and provide a softer ride, but going with a narrower width will help more.
Also, 16" wheels and tires are cheaper than 17", which is why a lot of people go that route for the 3-4 months you'll be using them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do narrower tires require narrower wheels?

A 195/55-R16 would be 0.79" narrower than the 215/45-R17.

For the 195/55-R16, would it work for the CT200h? Would a narrower rim be necessary for it?

·
380 Posts
195 wide would work on a 7" but it would be a bit of a stretch.
Honestly, why not just go cheap and get some 16x6 or 6.5 steelies?

·
Registered
53 Posts
195 wide would work on a 7" but it would be a bit of a stretch.
Honestly, why not just go cheap and get some 16x6 or 6.5 steelies?
I've been looking for these online and they're not easy to find. Do you know who would carry them? I don't suppose the steelies from my old Toyota Matrix would fit the bill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts