Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is due for the 15k mileage service and my dealer wants to charge over $300 for the service which is basically a tire rotation and a bunch of inspections. I found another dealer that has a $130 special for a tire rotation and oil change. I was just going to get that service and do the rest myself (e.g., replace Smartkey battery). I would document my doing this so there aren't any warranty issues.

Does anybody see any issues with this? With warranty? Any suggestions? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am doing the same thing as you, except I also do the oil change and tire rotation myself. I keep receipts for the oil filters and oil I purchased, in case there is any question. Having done the routine service for all of my cars for decades, I have never had any problem with warranty benefits from any car manufacturer.

BTW, my manual for the CT lists "inspect rear differntial".........it doesn't have a rear differential as it is a FWD! I will say I inspected it and found it missing :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
We talked about this a bit on another thread too..

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-general-discussion-forum/120333-maintenance-after-10-000-free-go-toyota.html

IMO there is absolutely NO reason to pay anywhere near $300...

Many things you can do yourself and just maybe put your initials on a printed page which includes the required 15k maintenance items.

The few things you can't do yourself you could have done at an oil change shop or local shop and MOST of those are just "inspections".. Just have them document those inspections.

I have a video on youtube on changing out the remote battery. Personally I wouldn't do it until it is actually needed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a video on youtube on changing out the remote battery. Personally I wouldn't do it until it is actually needed.
My CT is 6 months old with 16K miles.....no way would I change the remote control battery now. Usually, these batteries lasts YEARS for me!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Say we do the 15k services ourself - how do we turn that "Oil Maintenance Require Soon" message off the dashboard??

Some of suggested taking our cars to a Toyota dealer, with the expectation it will cost less. If we do, will Toyota be able to turn off this dashboard message?

·
Registered
92 Posts
oh, and my dealer said that since we run full synthetic, we don't actually need an oil change until 20,000 miles!
i think that's way too long...are us owners thinking we need the oil change and cabin filter and tire roatation at 15,000?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Say we do the 15k services ourself - how do we turn that "Oil Maintenance Require Soon" message off the dashboard??

Some of suggested taking our cars to a Toyota dealer, with the expectation it will cost less. If we do, will Toyota be able to turn off this dashboard message?
You can turn off the message yourself. It's in the manual.

·
Registered
842 Posts
oh, and my dealer said that since we run full synthetic, we don't actually need an oil change until 20,000 miles!
i think that's way too long...are us owners thinking we need the oil change and cabin filter and tire roatation at 15,000?
I am pretty sure that with full synthetic the interval is 10,000 miles. With fossil oil, it is 5,000.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My dealer wanted $260 for my "15,000" mile service. Since they had kept me waiting so long at the 5,000 mile service that I walked out, the initial service was at 7,500 miles and now that I had 12,500 miles I was bringing it back. I asked what in the world they were going to do, since I understood that the second service was free, paid by Toyota. They explained that they combined both the 5 and 10,000 miles at 7,500 and so this was going to be a 15,000 mile service, which they HAD to charge me for. I asked what they had in mind to do.

Here is a partial list:
Oil change
Tire rotation
cabin air filter change
FILLING THE TIRES WITH NITROGEN!!!
I stopped listening then.

I told the service rep that he could cancel my appointment as I was not coming in the back of a turnip truck and they could keep their ridiculous charges. He asked what I meant. I said that the manual does NOT call for replacing the cabin air filter except under extreme circumstances for quite a while and so I would check it but not likely replace it for a while.

I also told him that I thought tire rotation was a waste of money. If I had abnormal tire wear, I would notice it because I check my tire pressures regularly and look at them all the time. If my front tires wear out extra fast because they drive the car, rotating them to the back only means that then the back tires will wear out, so if I keep the car long enough, I may have to replace two tires a little before I would have to replace four tires.

I asked exactly why they were going to put nitrogen in my tires without even asking me and he gave me the song and dance about nitrogen molecules being smaller than oxygen molecules (which is absolutely NOT true) and so nitrogen leaks out more slowly and keeps the tire pressures up. I asked him if they had a hyperbolic chamber where all the atmospheric air was removed so they could put the nitrogen in the tires without any oxygen sneaking in and then explained that, if that were true, since air is roughly 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, since that oxygen was fleeing from the tires, the next time you filled the tires up to pressure, the nitrogen would be even higher than 80% and each time it would keep getting more and more nitrogen and less and less oxygen, so pretty soon it would be almost all nitrogen and I would rather wait than fill their pockets with my hard earned cash.

He explained, quite condescendingly, that they had gone to school for this and that it also kept the tires from rotting out from the inside. I told him I had owned cars for more than 50 years, had never had a tire rot out from the inside and would pass, thank you. I asked if the school was called Rip Off U?

The bottom line is that I ordered oil filters, a cabin filter (I don't want to check and find out I need one and not have one available), and the plug gasket from Sewell Lexus and got them today. I will do it myself and would do it myself even if it cost me more. I have some Mobil1 in the right weight, I will keep evidence that I did it and the heck with them. They will not see me darken their doors again. How far Lexus has fallen from the glory years! They are getting more like BMW. Very sad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yikes, joe - terrible to hear. i personally think this 15,000 mile service is bullcrap as well, especially when an oil change isn't even done...i don't need a new battery for the key, or new wiper blades. i'll probably just turn off the light as suggested, and forget about this until the 20k oil change

·
Registered
197 Posts
Longo Lexus in California only charges $90 (tax included) for 15k service. For someone who doesn't know much about cars, let alone hybrids, do you think I should just let them do it?
My dad checked all the fluid levels and etc and said it was fine. Looks like the only thing I really have to do myself is rotate the tires (they are still the stock tires so I probably have to do this myself) because oil change is at 20k. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven't looked over the maintenance list that closely since we purchased the car. I was thinking that after we get the 10,000 mile free oil change and tire rotation that I may just push back the tire rotations to 10,000 miles as well. The remote battery is important to change, but I really don't see why it wouldn't last 20,000 miles.

Seems to me that the price at Longo Lexus is reasonable. Those with the $200 and higher price tags for the 15K maintenance are pricey. Good idea about going to the Toyota dealer, but my Lexus dealer is owned by the same folks who have a Toyota dealership - they actually share the same parking lot, so that may not go ver very well in my case. I may look at one of the other Toyota dealers in town to see what they charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Dallas, TX, Park Place Lexus charged me $98 for 15k maintenance. I called Sewell Lexus, and they said they charged $230. Not sure why such a big difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just took my 2013 CT200h in for it's 15,000 mile service today. They rotated the tires, inspected the car, topped off the fluids, reset the "maintenance required" reminder, and washed my car. Total cost was $19.99 at Marion Toyota.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's $90 for tire rotation!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just took my ct200h in and they wanted $46 on the website, but when I got to the dealer, since I had put on snows, they said there was nothing else to do, other than inspect it, wash it and let me go for free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Service in norway

The 180.000km service is due. Toyota wants $1050.I asked what they do. Oil, filters, lubricating brake calipers, inspect underbody, spark plugs and hybrid health check. They give me 1y warranty on the HEV battery.I can do everything myself except hybrid check, so I asked what if i only want that. $117 was the cost. And warranty? "I have to ask..." Two minutes later he said I will get 1y warranty after the check. Easy decision :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts