ct200h wheels, downsizing
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ct200h wheels, downsizing

Talking ct200h wheels, downsizing

Hey out there!

I hope my question would generate some constructive feedback.

I own ct200h base with R17 OEM rims

Went thru a number of threads in hope to learn if anyone switched from OEM R17s to R15s or R16s rims.

Couple of threads mentioned R16 and none that were useful about R15.

I understand that a good number of owners would prefer the good looks and slightly better cornering stability with the up-sizing.

However, the larger rims mean worse mpgs (increase of RR), heavier wheel/tire weight, more load on the suspension (worse quality ride), lesser choice for tire sizes and shorter thread life.

Mechanically ct200h is the same as Prius 3 and 4. Prius do have R15-R17 rims choices. I don't see Toyota using different breaks and wheel hardware for two closely related siblings. So R15 rims on ct200h should not be a problem.

Speed-wise, OEMs 215/45R17 closely matched to 205/60R15.

Let me hear your arguments and thoughts why doing down-sizing is a bad idea. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I guess it's your own preference but I think that would look silly unless you also changed the springs to lower the suspension to match the reduced wheel size. Otherwise you are going to have a huge gap.

leonar40, I appreciate your opinion!

A 2 mm loss in wheel's height can't be considered "a huge gap". You may want to verify the calcs using this website: www.willtheyfit.com. If anything, R15 would be shorter in height and narrower in profile.

Some go for looks and others for comfort.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I used some wheel/tire setup with 225/45/17 and its almost 10lbs lighter than the oem wheel/tire 215/45/17 (44lbs ..ish) i did not notice any significant difference in mpg. I know there's a lot of factors but i wonder how much prius setup would make difference. And my current 225/50/17 (about 2 lbs lighter than oem) also didn't make much difference in mpg but I'm so happy with ride quality and looks with smaller tire and fender gap

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)