Metal tire valve covers
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metal tire valve covers

Metal tire valve covers

A few days ago I had my OEM tires replaced. The gentleman running the shop replaced my metal valve covers with silver plastic covers. He said that the metal covers can get corroded to the valve stem and sometime requires a wrench to remove. If the cover is too tight or stuck you can run the risk of snapping the stem, lose all your air and require complete replacement of the TPMS "transmitter".

So, long story short, I suggest switching out the metal covers for plastic ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp View Post
    A few days ago I had my OEM tires replaced. The gentleman running the shop replaced my metal valve covers with silver plastic covers. He said that the metal covers can get corroded to the valve stem and sometime requires a wrench to remove. If the cover is too tight or stuck you can run the risk of snapping the stem, lose all your air and require complete replacement of the TPMS "transmitter".

So, long story short, I suggest switching out the metal covers for plastic ones.
    I would choose a different tire professional. He is talking out of his rear end. First off the are aluminum so they cannot rust. Second off they are OEM which means Lexus feels they are good for their vehicles. Would they put this on their cars if they can easily corrode and get stuck? He took them off because he wanted then for himself. I've owned Lexus's for many years and never had one corrode or get stuck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

These also cost $8 a piece. So you gave him $32 in nice valve stem caps for cheap plastic ones the belong on a Yaris.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

You got conned, but if you enjoyed it, send me your spare money and I won't even make up a story to embarrass you.

While it is true that if you were to snap off the valve stem, it would definitely cause some TPMS problems, that is totally avoidable. First, check your air pressure once in a while. Second, if you find there is some sort of difficulty in removing the valve caps, put a very small amount of some sort of lubricant on the threads.

I have had one car in which the metal caps seemed to tighten up and get hard to remove, but it was still finger tight.

The far bigger problem is that you will probably be supplying every kid in the neighborhood with a shiny metal valve cover for his (or her) bike. You can buy some decent ones at any auto parts store for less than $2 for four of them. I keep extra ones in my garage for when one of them mysteriously dissapears off my car. Happens once or twice a year. For some reason, especially at church.

FYI

they might get seized on to the valve stems due to water and rust
    and break your tpms sensors

happened to me on a nissan altima

When i first read the replies to my post I thought perhaps I did got punked by the service guy. His reasoning was that road salt, sand, heat etc would eventually result in a stuck-on valve cap. So I did a google search for "metal air valve caps stuck" and found A LOT of people having an issue with not being able to remove the caps. Some people said they used double wrenches, liquid penetrate, heat, and even dremel tools to remove the cap unsuccessfully.

So, while at first glance it seems like this guy was wrong to swap out my metal caps for plastic, I am glad he did. Just wanted to warn my fellow CT owners.
    Last edited by jeffp; 05-31-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Don
    I've kept my metal valve covers because I like the way they look. However, I check them when I wash my car and clean the wheels. And, to reply to my95tsi, I hate to mention this but Lexus does make mistakes in judgment on occasions -- they are not infallible.
    2011 Lexus CT 200h Premium-Tungsten Pear/Water Gray Leather
    Premium Audio, HDD Navigation, LED Headlamps, Illuminated door sills, Preferred accessory packages.

KKM
    Everyone should be checking their tire pressure at least once per month or every two months. I always fill 2-3 lbs above the recommended fill and this is the easiest way to maintain and gain mpg. The regular act of screwing and unscrewing should prevent stuck caps.

BTW, Costco sells a nice digital Bonaire tire inflator that runs on 120 or 12V. You can set the psi on the unit and it will automatically turn off.

If u guys do replace your metal valve stem cap for a plastic one make sure not to throw the metal ones away. Those metal caps are pretty expensive. Last time I asked the dealer it was $8 per cap

Becarefull of the valve inside the sensor. That can leak and corrode

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)