Snow Tire Sizes
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow Tire Sizes

YOW

Snow Tire Sizes

It is now that time of the year when I have to think seriously about buying snow tires for my CT.

My Premium CT has the 17" wheels, and is currently equipped with 215/45R17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. The list price for the equivalent Michilin Primacy Alpin snow tires is $238 per tire. That is a lot more than I've had to pay for snow tires in the past.

The base CT uses 205/55R16 size tires. Michelin snow tires in this size list for only $190, which is a lot less that the cost of tires for 17" wheels.

Does anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't install base CT size snow tires on my Premium CT?

2011 CT200h / Matador Red Mica / Canadian Premium Package / Black Leather Interior

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

The people on Lexusownersclub.co.uk recommend the Pirelli Sottozeros for their rear wheel drive Lexus's - I can't comment there because I've never driven with winter tyres (doesn't really get bad enough in southern England)

Tyre size - narrower is actually better for when the snow comes. Less width = less contact area = higher contact pressure. The higher pressure is better for cutting through snow to more solid stuff.

Plus if you have different sized rear tyres and wheels, you can store the winter boots on your own terms instead of having to get them stored by someone else.

Last edited by Sleepypete; 10-14-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    So sorry - I upgraded ...Currently driving : IS300h Mercury Grey, UK Luxury spec with Nav

If you don't care about looks and if you have bad/bumpy pothole ridden roads in the winter, you might want to get a 16" wheel and tire package for the winter setup. Just a suggestion, as there is not a ton of sidewall on the OEM 17" tires.

'11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Do a search on the board. I have posted a few messages about this subject already.
    2011 CT200h w/tech pkg. w/Navi (Cdn)-Fire Agate Pearl/black leather; sport pedals; sills; cargo mat; wallet key; 3M "chip guard" on hood, side sills, lower door and front part of roof; PIAA Xtreme White HB (H9); Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs (H11); Putco LED map, dome, vanity, hatch & license plate lights; Lexus LED fog lights; tinted windows (Llumar); Lexus car cover; Reflector sun shade; Rear bumper protector; Mud flaps; Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 snow tires, 3D front floor mats

Quote Originally Posted by YOW View Post
    It is now that time of the year when I have to think seriously about buying snow tires for my CT.

My Premium CT has the 17" wheels, and is currently equipped with 215/45R17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. The list price for the equivalent Michilin Primacy Alpin snow tires is $238 per tire. That is a lot more than I've had to pay for snow tires in the past.

The base CT uses 205/55R16 size tires. Michelin snow tires in this size list for only $190, which is a lot less that the cost of tires for 17" wheels.

Does anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't install base CT size snow tires on my Premium CT?
    Hi!
    I am dooing exacly the same thing.
    It's a lot less expenssive.
    Last edited by jclevesq; 10-14-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    JC From Gatineau with a Fire Agate, Premium and Tan Leather.

How about going even lower to 15"? I'm thinking of getting the base CT with the 16". According to the calculator, the equal would be P205/60R15.

Can we use steel wheels too for the winter tire set (even cheaper than 4 new mags)?

I'd just got the wheels and tires package a moment ago with 1010tires.com. Enkei G5 (17x7, 5x100, offset +45) + Michelin Xi-2, mounted/balanced/shipping. Total 1700 $cdn tx incl.

Will take possession of the car on Oct 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr3 View Post
    How about going even lower to 15"? I'm thinking of getting the base CT with the 16". According to the calculator, the equal would be P205/60R15.

Can we use steel wheels too for the winter tire set (even cheaper than 4 new mags)?
    Absolutely (steel wheels), though I wouldn't recommend 15", it would be an awfully squishy/soft ride and the car wouldn't handle nearly as well as it does now. Just my $0.02.

'11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc13 View Post
    Absolutely (steel wheels), though I wouldn't recommend 15", it would be an awfully squishy/soft ride and the car wouldn't handle nearly as well as it does now. Just my $0.02.
    Thanks Jimmy! I did a test drive with the 17" and found them a little bit to stiff (thank you pot holes and crooked pavement), so I'm guessing the 16" would be ideal for us in Quebec. As for the squishyness of the 15", I would go up from 55 to 60 ratio so from P205/55R16 to P205/60R15.

You really think it would be that worst for the handling?

Hi guys, I had my winter tyres fitted to the 17" wheels yesterday. The temperature is averaging aroud 7 C all day and was 2 C this morning so probably good time to change. I went for the Nokian's as had them on previous car and they were excellent. Some good deals too for online suppliers (mine came fro Germany in 3 days). The car is no longer whisper quiet as the level of road noise has increased significantly but think this is a small price to pay for keeping safe.

CT200H SE-L Premier in Ultra Blue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)