HID Slim Ballast Kit Installed - 55 watt 4500 k
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: HID Slim Ballast Kit Installed - 55 watt 4500 k

HID Slim Ballast Kit Installed - 55 watt 4500 k

There are plenty of instructions and videos of how to install HID lighting systems so rather than
    duplicate those I want to show how the the slim ballast HID kits can be incorporated inconspicuously into the CT.

The kit from DDM comes with all plug and play connectors.

The kit appears well made, robust and the connectors are well sealed.

I extended the 12 volt feed that plugs into the original headlight plug by about 8" to give me
    more flexibility in mounting.

The red wire in the kit has to go to the violet wire on the original headlamp connector.

All the other connectors can only be installed one way so you don't have to worry about polarity.

I searched around for a convenient location to mount the ballast and chose the metal strip directly beneath the
    plastic cover above the radiator. You can see all the components sitting on top of this cover in the next picture.

I then took industrial grade velcro with an adhesive back and secured the ballast to the metal frame under
    the plastic cover. You will see in next three pictures the slim profile of the ballast is covered by the overhang of the plastic cover.

When the ballasts have been located the wiring can be run toward each headlight and hidden from view.

I also secured the high voltage connector block to the metal frame.

I used nylon cable ties in appropriate places to keep the wirring tidy.

The most difficult part of the process was installing the passenger side bulb since there is very little space
    to get your hand in and install the HID bulb.

It helps a little if you unclip the plastic filler neck for the coolant overflow tank and just
    move it slightly.

Everything worked first time and tonight when its dark I'll check out how much the lighting is improved over stock.

Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing. Will that install location be prone to a lot of engine heat or is it far enough away?

You know, I had absolutely no interest in this mod, but after reading your posts, I've got to do this. Thanks for posting the pics and info.

Question: Are you concerned at all about going with 55W as opposed to 35W? Is 35W insufficient? Are you sure 55W won't be too hot?

I'm leaning toward 35W @ 6000K, but if you say 55W isn't an issue, I might go with that
    Last edited by dgstan; 06-06-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    - 2011 Lexus CT200h
    - 2005 Toyota Prius

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Another stupid question: How does this affect the high-beams?
    - 2011 Lexus CT200h
    - 2005 Toyota Prius

This mod has no impact on the high beams.

I've had no problem with heat the headlight housing volume is pretty large so the heat should be dissipated easily.
    HID sellers advise not installing 55 watt units in small volume fog light enclosures.
    I figured if I was going to effort of installing HID I would get the maximum brightness and the premium was only an additional $15.
    The OEM bulbs are 55 watt so the wiring has adequate rating.
    Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

I ended up going with the DDM 35W kit @ 5000K. Took about 30 minutes to install, despite the fact there were no instructions.

The only thing I'd add here is that the radiator overflow reservoir easily lifts up and out of the way after you remove the two mounting bolts. Once it's out of the way, you have tons of room and there's even a nice flat surface down there to mount the ballast.
    - 2011 Lexus CT200h
    - 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote Originally Posted by dgstan View Post
    I ended up going with the DDM 35W kit @ 5000K. Took about 30 minutes to install, despite the fact there were no instructions.

The only thing I'd add here is that the radiator overflow reservoir easily lifts up and out of the way after you remove the two mounting bolts. Once it's out of the way, you have tons of room and there's even a nice flat surface down there to mount the ballast.
    Thanks for sharing that tip. So there's actually room/a gap under there to fit the ballast?

So....how do the bulbs look!?

'11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc13 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that tip. So there's actually room/a gap under there to fit the ballast?

So....how do the bulbs look!?
    No so much directly under the reservoir, but just in front of it. Plenty of room.

The lights look great. 5000K is pure white. It does make the DRLs look yellow, but it's a nice contrast.
    Last edited by dgstan; 06-11-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    - 2011 Lexus CT200h
    - 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote Originally Posted by dgstan View Post
    No so much directly under the reservoir, but just in front of it. Plenty of room.

The lights look great. 5000K is pure white. It does make the DRLs look yellow, but it's a nice contrast.
    Cool, can't wait to see it in person once I get mine in. Interesting feedback on the yellowing of the DRL's after this. Very hard to believe considering how bright/white the LED's are by themselves, but I believe you!

'11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

You can see in this pic how the drl's have a yellow tint compared with the HID's.

It's much more obvious when viewing live.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)