Annoying Road Noise!
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Annoying Road Noise!

Annoying Road Noise!

Hi folks, this is my first post here as I have only owned my CT200H Advance for 3 days!
    I'm running a 2014 model and notice that when I drive it on motorways, a lot of noise and rumble is being picked up from the road surface. When it drives over a bridge or recently repaired area, the sound changes or fades but never goes away. It is loud enough that I have to boost the radio volume to get a reasonable listening level. The noise starts to become noticeable at speeds over about 50mph and is pretty annoying. It certainly not the smooth elegant silence I would have expected from a luxury brand such as Lexus!
    I checked with my supplier (the excellent Lexus Cambridge) who advised me that the low profile tyres may pick up more noise than standard tyres.
    So I wondering, if I were to replace the tyres with standard profile ones, would this reduce the road noise? and can I safely do this without causing any other problems?
    Also, does anyone offer soundproofing kits that would help reduce noise pickup from the road?
    Another thing - has anyone else noticed - that the faster you drive, the less 'stereo' seems to come out of the radio/CD player. When its parked you can clearly hear sounds out of the left and right speakers. But when it is driving along, the sound appears to mainly come from the centre speaker and any left/right stereo signal seems to disappear. Most annoying, and again not what I would expect from a luxury vehicle (it is the standard system, not the enhanced Premier system).
    All the best from Cambridge, UK

Paul

Last edited by paulyuk6; 01-09-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Title too long

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I installed 77 square feet of Sound Skins sound dampener. Double later in the doors both inside and outer door skin. Removed seats and rear seat and installed double layer there. Then trunk floor also.

My car is super quite. Measured a 6DB difference. Before and after

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulyuk6 View Post
    I checked with my supplier (the excellent Lexus Cambridge) who advised me that the low profile tyres may pick up more noise than standard tyres.
    So I wondering, if I were to replace the tyres with standard profile ones, would this reduce the road noise?
    It's not so much the profile as the tread pattern. Some tires are quieter than others. If you're looking for tires, do your research (tirerack.com is a great resource for tire reviews) and find tires that are rated well for road noise. You really don't want to change tire profile a whole lot as that will throw off your speedometer and odometer a bit.
    2012 CT 200H|Premium Audio|Leather Pkg|Remote Start|F-Sport Grille|4300K DDM headlights|2500K Halo Solaris Yellow fogs
    2016 RAV4 SE S-Code

I’m exploring to try sound deadening undercoating instead of the laborious Dynamat installation. Any thoughts? Recommend spray brand?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)