Used CT- Storm Damage (Sandy?)
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Used CT- Storm Damage (Sandy?)

Used CT- Storm Damage (Sandy?)

Hi all - I am in the market for a CT and located on in another city that I am having shipped to me. It is a 2012 with very low (3k) miles and all appears to be ok with the vehicle. I have checked the history (AutoCheck) and saw only one concern. The vehicle was on Long Island (Massepqua) when sandy hit. Though nothing in the history indicated it sustained any damage, I cannot help to be concerned. Cant imagine what saltwater would do to a hybrid. I'm considering enrolling with CarFax to cross check but wondered what your opinion is. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Run like hell - over 200,000 cars were damaged during Sandy

Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

Don
    I'm with Audi4t on this one. The car may be fine today, but saltwater may eat away electrical connections and prove fatal to the electronics later on during ownership.
    2011 Lexus CT 200h Premium-Tungsten Pear/Water Gray Leather
    Premium Audio, HDD Navigation, LED Headlamps, Illuminated door sills, Preferred accessory packages.

KKM
    Definitely do Carfax and there are visual clues that a car has sustained water damaged. If you Google that it would give you instructions. Also hire a professional car inspector, maybe throught AAA, will be worth the cost if you want a second opinion.

If you suspect it was damaged by hurricane Sandy, then RUN!
    Carfax will only report to you what has been reported to them, so I have little confidence in that.

With that little mileage, it should be a Lexus certified car. If it is not, RUN!

If it is a great deal - (you guessed it) RUN!

Thanks everyone. I have some serious concerns and given how readily available CTs are, I really see no reason to take the risk. The car is from CarMax and suppose to arrive in approx 14 days. I plan to test drive, which will get my $49 transfer fee back and will take a good look to see if there is any indication of water damage. Maybe there is a lesson there which I can share.
    The history of the car shows it was in the dealer for service 10/24, and back in 3 weeks later for oil change at approx 2700 miles. That would certainly indicate it was on LI when Sandy hit at the end of Oct.

Oil change at 2700 miles? That sounds fishy to me. If I were the type to want to take such good care of my new car and not wait for the recommended 10,000 mile free oil change, but change it at 2700 miles that is one thing. But to then turn around and get rid of it with just over 3000 miles? Definately stay away from that one!

You can still use this to your advantage. I had a very similar situation with a CT at CarMax. We went and drove it at CarMax and we loved it, but something did not feel right. All the paperwork (carfax, clean history, no services) checked out but it did not feel right. We went to the Lexus dealer and drove an identical (except for color) CT and used the one at CarMax as a bargaining tool. It definately helped to get us a better deal than what we would have got.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    Oil change at 2700 miles? That sounds fishy to me. If I were the type to want to take such good care of my new car and not wait for the recommended 10,000 mile free oil change, but change it at 2700 miles that is one thing. But to then turn around and get rid of it with just over 3000 miles? Definately stay away from that one!

You can still use this to your advantage. I had a very similar situation with a CT at CarMax. We went and drove it at CarMax and we loved it, but something did not feel right. All the paperwork (carfax, clean history, no services) checked out but it did not feel right. We went to the Lexus dealer and drove an identical (except for color) CT and used the one at CarMax as a bargaining tool. It definately helped to get us a better deal than what we would have got.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck!
    The oil change interval would be the least of my worries in this scenario(I would still run). I had my first oil change before my first tire rotation. Less than 5k at one year. In my maintenance reminder, I have the rotations set by mileage and oil changes by time.

We had a few different local news channels warning us about cars coming from the US from that area - and we are 2000 miles away! They warned there are thousands of damaged cars from Sandy and a lot of them are being auctioned and shipped to Canada! All the warnings were the same things that fellow posters here have been saying so don't take a chance on your hard earned money is my suggestion.
    2011 CT200 Obsidian, Black Nulux, Canadian Tourning Edition - Non Nav

KKM
    Ok, I just saw the ABC news report on Carfax's reliability yesterday, I'm going to take back what I said about relying on them, best to have inspection and know the tell tale signs of water damage:

Can You Trust the Car Fox? Hidden Camera Shows 'Clean' Carfax Isn't - ABC News

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)