36mpg???
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 36mpg???

Unhappy 36mpg???

I decided to post this, to see if anyone else is having this issue.

I bought my CT200h in Pennsylvania. Back in PA it was difficult for me to get under 40MPG, even leaving it in sport mode and driving it like a sports car.

Moved to California, and drove the CT across the country. Since getting out here, my MPG has been miserable. If I want to stay above 40MPG, I have to put it in EV mode every time I accelerate from a stop, accelerating slower than all the Prius around me. It's embarrassing! People get pissed off because I'm accelerating slower than a Yugo! I never had to do that in PA. Out here, I also leave it in Ecco mode all the time.

At first I thought it was the summer gas they use out here. But now they have switched over to the winter gas. I'm still getting 36-38MPG. I did see 38MPG when I was driving cross country, but that was because I was driving on 75MPH roads. 80MPH is definitely not an economical speed.

Is anyone else having this issue? What happened to my CT? I'm sure the dealer is going to laugh at me if I try to complain about this.

I'm not even at 15k miles and have had all scheduled services and recalls done. Does anyone think the exhaust valve recall may have had something to do with this? Is the quality of gas really this bad out in California?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

What is your tire pressure? cold weather can make that go down and if it does, so does your mileage. Just for testing, I let my tires get down to 31 psi and my mileage dropped to the 38 mpg range even if I worked hard at driving easy. I was normally keeping them around 3 psi high, getting 42 mpg (summer blend). I am now testing 41/40 psi on winter blend. The ride is a bit sharper but I don't even have to work at getting 43 mpg. btw, my commute is mostly freeway and hills. If traffic is bad, the mileage goes up. But on the weekend? well I would rather have a bit of fun in sport mode than drive in eco

My conclusion so far: mpg drops drastically with under-inflated tires. A few psi over recommended, 36/35, gives good mileage and yet a decent ride. 41/40 a bit more mileage but harsher ride. Still looking for that sweet spot, I think it may be 37/36. After I have my 10k checkup, I will drop the tires to 37/36 and let it run for a few tanks.

Huntington Beach, CA, USA - 2012 CT200h with PCS
    I live in California (Orange County). I get 43-48mpg using gas from my local Chevron/Shell station.

Take it to the dealer.

I purchased my CT in Pennsylvania also and have now owned it two years. I find that weather is a big culprit in declining gas mileage. You also must consider terrain. I live in an area that is slightly hilly and I take short trips. In the summer, I average around 41-42mpg. In the winter, I have averaged 35-37mpg. My belief is that the car uses gasoline to warm up in the winter to function the heater and defroster and the engine runs much longer leading to the decrease in mileage. Plus, I get the car defrosted and warmed up and then my trip is completed in a short distance which is harsh for gas mileage. I guess it sort of depends on your location in California and the terrain and climate.

Mpg seems to go down to 40 mpg or so during the winter without using the remote start. with the remote start it can go as low as 20 something for a short trip. I keep my tires inflated to near max and keep it around 42 to 45 mpg in the summer. I use normal mode and avoid bottoming the charging needle when braking.

I'm getting around 36 MPG for my commute to work. The commute is about 5 miles on the local streets and hitting about 8-10 traffic lights/stops. The terrain is somewhat hilly around here and I accelerate somewhat heavy (~3,500 RPM in Sports Mode). Personally, the low MPG I attribute to the terrain, stop and go commute, and somewhat hard acceleration.

If I visit my in-laws about 60 miles round-trip, my MPG will climb back to around 39-40 MPG.

You may ask why I got the CT for such a short commute, well it was either a Mazda 3 or the CT, and seeing the CT at the dealership sold me right away.

Got my car in October 2012. I'm in LA County and I'm currently getting 43mpg with my current tank. Initially below 40 mpg when first got ther car. I agree with bumping up the psi of your tires. I learned this from other posts in this forum for better gas mileage. Good luck!
    2012 Nebula Gray Pearl Lexus CT200h with Black NuLuxe
    With Accy Pkg, Rear Bumper Applique, Wheel Locks, Stubby Carbon Fiber Antenna, Backup Camera Rearview Mirror

Thanks for all the replies! I will check the tire pressure and see if that helps. If not, I will definitely take it in to the dealer.

It might be the short commute. It hasn't gotten really cold up here in San Jose. So I don't think it is the temp.

On my way to work, I actually get on the highway, where I average 60MPH. On the way back, I take streets where there are several stop lights.

KKM
    I also live in the Bay area, East Bay to be exact and have an overall average of about 46 mpg. I use Costco and Chevron, I usually just keep it on normal mode.

The California gas may be a small factor, but I believe the bigger factors are:

-short commute: I have a 60 mile one way commute in So Cal, and I find the car really doesn't warm up (engine oil, not coolant) for about 20 miles. Once warm, the car gets much better MPG. I have 22K miles on mine now, the worst tank was 50 MPG, the best 60 MPG. If I did lots of short trips with a cold car I bet it would be about 40.

-speed: you already found out how higher speed sukssss gas...traffic on my commute dictates I go about 55 mph and I notice if it is about 50 mph the fuel economy is noticeable better. Of course, it is not practical to drive 50 mph when traffic is going 75 mph or if you need to get someplace in short time, but when traffic dictates it, you benefit in fuel economy.

-"eyes up": they teach you in high performance driving schools to look ahead to see whats coming up. This can translate to non-racing driving to plan ahead to avoid unnecessary braking and accelerating.

-tire pressure: the tire manufacturer, Michelin, states maximum pressure is 51 psi for my tires, I inflate them to 50 psi and notice several MPG increase. This is still within the manufacturers recommendation, so hold the hate mail. This is higher than Lexus' recommendations, but they have an ineterest in providing a smooth ride (note the number of posts of people complaining of the rough ride....). Yes, it rides a little rougher. No, there is no significant signs of aberrant wear on the tire as the tire is still within manufacturers recommendation. I have inflated my tires to close to the max on all of my cars for the last 20+ years without any problems. In fact, tire shop personnel are amazed at how many miles I get out of a set of tires.

-weather: best mileage is when it is hot outside, even 50 F is "cold" here where I live and I see a 1-2 MPG decrease. Rain also reduces your mileage by increasing rolling resistance.

-engine oil: this is very anecdotal, but once I used Mobil1 0w-20 and it seemed like it was harder to get the better gas mileage. I use Toyota 0w-20 exlulsively now. Research on Bobistheoilguy.com shows the Toyota oil to measure at a thinner viscosity than the Mobil1, and it has more antiwear ingredients (more slippery??). Again, my experience is anecdotal and impossible the document.

Last edited by emejay; 12-08-2012 at 01:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)