quality or cheap gas?
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: quality or cheap gas?

quality or cheap gas?

When I first purchased my car, the sales person told me that this car is made to run on the cheapest gas!

Is this true? Anyone still use quality gas such as chevron/shell or cheap it out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

KKM
    The sales guy probably meant it runs on regular and not premium like the rest of the Lexus line. I buy Costco gas about as cheap as they com in terms of price. Most gas comes from the same refinery and the individual brands then add their own additives.

I always fill up at Chevron, QT, or Costco and always get "regular" grade

I use only Shell when I can. It's better for your car in the long run, and highly recommended by my Lexus service manager.
    2011 CT200h w/tech pkg. w/Navi (Cdn)-Fire Agate Pearl/black leather; sport pedals; sills; cargo mat; wallet key; 3M "chip guard" on hood, side sills, lower door and front part of roof; PIAA Xtreme White HB (H9); Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs (H11); Putco LED map, dome, vanity, hatch & license plate lights; Lexus LED fog lights; tinted windows (Llumar); Lexus car cover; Reflector sun shade; Rear bumper protector; Mud flaps; Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 snow tires, 3D front floor mats

This has been the subject of a long thread. The views range from "You can see the trucks filling up at the same tanks, so buy the cheapest!" to "Nothing for the best for my baby, I buy premium, name brand gas and a few extra cents doesn't bother me!" I lean toward the first view, but I mostly watch out for places that look like they don't maintain their stations very well, I am concerned with letting contaminants in the fuel, but frankly it has been a long time since I got a load of bad gas. Gas companies make enough money without my helping them.

By cheap gas, he just meant the 87 octane (regular) gas. I get my gas at Chevron because of their additives are supposed to be one of the best. I used to work at a Shell gas station, and you don't really get "Shell" gas. The same gas truck that deliver gas to our station also deliver to 76 gas station down the street. And the same goes to 87, 89, and 93 octane tanks. The only difference is the additives being mixed in with the generic gas when the truck fills up the tanks.

Been using Chevron for my vehicles for the last 32 years and never had a problem. I agree with KKM base blends are relatively the same it is the additives that make the difference.
    2012 CT 200h Premium, Starfire Pearl, Black Leather, Premium Audio, Navigation ,LED Headlights, Illuminated Door Sills, Cargo Net, Cargo Mat, Wheel Locks, Key Gloves, Window tint, Full clear bra front, rear and rocker panels.

The only really important road vehicle fuel variable for consumers is the octane number. Fuel 'additives' are much like snake oil, marketing ploys to make you feel good about a particular version of a generic product. My car is immune to the alleged benefits of additives, because they only work if you believe in them.

I would advise rational consumers to not fret over brands or additives and just buy fuel with the minimum required octane rating at a good price. In modern, regularly driven cars, using fuel with a higher octane rating than needed is completely useless and wasteful.

I never had a problem with any brand of gas I ever used in any car I've ever owned. So it could be a brand name like Shell or BP or off brand like QT or Racetrack. Cars run the same. Like everyong else said, it runs on regular 87 octane.
    2012 Obsidian (black), Premium, Nav.

The biggest reason to go to a station like Chevron and Shell is there will be no lines and the mini mart is probably nicer. The difference in quality of gas is negligible. And like others have said, note the trucks unloading new fuel. It's most likely Western Refining or another generic refinery truck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now