Lexus CT200h Forums banner

new challenge by BMW

Tags
bmw challenge
5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  darkride 
#1 ·
BMW USA web page has posted configuration for the F30 series hybrid based on the popular 3 series body. This is a ultra high performance 6 cylinder twin turbo hybrid. Their philosophy is maximum performance without sacrifice to effiency. The unofficial mpg is about 39. For a modestly spec'd 328 hybrid you are in the range of about 59K, and it requires premium gas unlike ct200H. A slight setback for BMW, is that there has been a break up of joint hybrid development venture between BMW of Munich and the PSA Auto Group Peugeot Citroën of Paris, due to the fact that PSA Auto Group is about to go belly up. In order to survive, they implement draconian measures by massive lay off. Now the French auto union workers initiated la déclaration de guerre against the PSA Auto group. This has just been reported by Deutsche Welle. So much for the French ... it is a pity because Peugeot got a handsome family of smaller bodies very conducive for hybrid autos.... so I guess Lexus is still the luxury hybrid leader !!!:)

#2 ·
BMW might have saw this break up of joint hybrid development with Peugeot/Citroen and this is why they have entered a joint research/development agreement with Lexus. They will be researching hybrid battery cells, light weighty body materials and how to make a more sporty vehicle. In exchange, BMW will offer diesel engine technologies to Lexus Europe and likewise with BMW getting to understand Lexus's hybrids. This is all bad news for other car companies.

#3 ·
Diesel powerplants still got lag issues thereby negating the start/stop feature which is an essential component of a hybrid vehicle system. The BMW F30 hybrid based on 3 series is a six cylinder direct injection twin turbo gasoline engine; boasting awesome capabilities which will blow most of the other regular vehicles away. I am sure that BMW & Toyota will produce high performance hybrids without compromise to efficiency. The Tianjian (Chinese) made 1.8L Atkinson variant engine 2ZR-HXE is a very durable well designed efficient engine leading to the success of Prius, thus Lexus chose this proven engine for the ct200H.

#5 ·
I don't like BMW's. Over the years friends tell me that their BMW's are less than reliable and their parts and service costs surpass all human understanding. Other European cars are often also regarded with some caution in Australia. Apart from our local and imported GM and Ford products, we drive Japanese cars like Toyota, Mazda and Honda, and more recently the Koreans. They generally offer good value and reasonable parts and service costs. BMW owners suffer the prejudice of many Australians who call them (rhymes with) "bankers". Mercedes, of course, is above the fray.

#9 · (Edited)
I just mentioned the BMW F30 3 series hybrid - a six cylinder twin turbo with direct injection coupled with an electric motor. Performance is not compromised, go to BMW US webpage to build your own, it will cost about 59K. The EPA estimate is over 39 mpg (US gallons). And of course Lexus CX300 based on Toyota RAV4 platform.

BTW: My 2010 328i e93 convertible turned out to be a very dependable car, an awesome handling car with minimal service headache. I have about 45K miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.