Silly Question I Should Know After Owning The CT200h For Over A Year Now
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silly Question I Should Know After Owning The CT200h For Over A Year Now

Silly Question I Should Know After Owning The CT200h For Over A Year Now

Okay...when you have been out driving for awhile and you keep the speed at a maximum of about 42 MPH, the EV light comes on in the bottom left of speedometer display area...and, the meter on the right is all the way up as far as instantaneous MPG...are you actually driving in 100% electric mode or just assisted by electric? And, if this is the case, why would I have to push the EV button at slower speeds if my car is already in electric mode when I'm driving about 25 MPH or less? Just wondering...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I usually refer to this screen with driving.

With the battery adequately charged and the EV light ON around 35-40MPH, you can start driving using battery power. Confirming this with this display screen

Idealy you use the EV button when driving short distance as in a parking lot or garage driveway.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silly Question I Should Know After Owning The CT200h For Over A Year Now-03.jpg   Silly Question I Should Know After Owning The CT200h For Over A Year Now-04.jpg  
    Last edited by 11LFCH; 06-21-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    06/11 CT200h Smoky Granite/Ecru

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy View Post
    Okay...when you have been out driving for awhile and you keep the speed at a maximum of about 42 MPH, the EV light comes on in the bottom left of speedometer display area...and, the meter on the right is all the way up as far as instantaneous MPG...are you actually driving in 100% electric mode or just assisted by electric? And, if this is the case, why would I have to push the EV button at slower speeds if my car is already in electric mode when I'm driving about 25 MPH or less? Just wondering...
    EV means your car is an Electric Vehicle. When that light is on, as I understand it, all the power for your car is coming from the electric engine, not the ICE. I don't think you do have to push the EV button unless you want to try to avoid inadvertently going into the ICE if you accelerate, although even with the EV button pushed it might still override your desires and go into the gas engine if you demand more than the electric engine can produce.

Best use of the EV button is allowing you to maneuver the car in your driveway or into and out of the Garage without allowing the gas engine to warm up.

Oh yeah. The EV light illuminates whenever the gas engine is not running as far as I can tell.

If you have just gone down a hill and the battery is fully recharged you can drive on fairly level ground up to about 35-40 mph on all electric for a mile or more. This is when the green EV light comes on. You are only on the battery so your driving technically "free" without any gas. No need to push the EV mode. The car will do it automatically. If you need to accelerate or go up a hill then the EV light will go off and your back on the ICE. My drive to work is mostly downhill and there is a stretch of close to 5 miles that I can coast and be in the EV mode which is pretty sweet. Of course going back home it is uphill for that stretch.

The CT will not go into EV mode until the hybrid system deems that it has met all of the requirements to run as an electric vehicle - so, on startup, if the hybrid system senses that the temp is below ~68 degrees or the hybrid system has been sitting for too long, the ICE will automatically run for a few seconds --> 2+ minutes (depending on warm up time) and then automatically shut off and illuminate the EV icon in the bottom left of the gauge cluster.

You may not be able to go into EV mode even if you press the EV button and will see the message "EV mode not available". You will know that you are in your 'user selected EV Mode' (<-- you've pressed the 'EV Mode' button) because it will illuminate a second and separate "EV Mode" icon to the top left of the speedometer ~ just outside the 50mph/80 kph mark of the speedo). "Excessive acceleration", "Low Battery", etc will cancel the EV mode. I've had varying success at first starts in the morning as the hybrid system is going through its warm-up handshakes with the rest of its bits, but once the hybrid system is warm and happy, I can select the 'EV Mode' button and lightly accelerate (not pressing to hard on the accellerator pedal) up to ~25 mph before the hybrid system cancels the 'EV Mode' that I selected. The small MFD screen inside the gauge cluster will state why the EV mode was cancelled.

As noted above, once the hyrbid system is warm, it automatically switches modes to take full advantage of the ICE and EV modes to maximize fuel efficiency. I use it mostly in parking lots and on the way home once I'm in my subdivision, since the speed limit is 20 mph - which is just perfect for running as an electric vehicle.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now