Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy View Post
    Nothing wired to the fuse box...there are the ECU connectors (like a rectangular box) that connect one side to the existing headlight wire and the other side to a ballast...then, one cable from the ballast goes to the wires coming from the new HID bulb. Totally plug and play...these baby's really light up the road...get a set---you won't be disappointed. And, if u get them and don't think you can do it...you can either find a shop or return them. I had no idea what I was doing before attempting so I paid a shop who specializes in light conversions $50 to install...he asked me to watch him install so I would learn in case I ever wanted to remove them. We didn't bolt the ballasts down but tied them with those plastic adjustable ties to the far sides of firewall.
    Hi, do you have to connect to ground like the battery or frame?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

No...just plug and play...the cables it came with

Installed my kit today

Today I've installed the Morimoto HID kit recommended by bondguy. Installation took about 1hr and 15 mins. I had no issues fitting the bulbs in the sockets. I am really happy with the installation and the way the lights look. Below are some pictures.

Here is a picture of the kit before install:

On the driver side all I did was remove the top black plastic cover. I've attached the ballast to the underside piece of metal that the plastic cover attaches to:

On the passenger side I removed the top black plastic cover and the jug of pink liquid. The ballast is attached the same as on the driver's side, but with zipties only as I couldn't find an appropriate location to bolt it.

Here is a picture of the HID (on the driver side) vs the stock halogen (on the passenger side):

Here is a close-up at night:

Here is a close-up of the HID vs the stock high beam:

Unrelated, but here are pictures of interior and license plate with LEDs I installed:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-driver-side-ballast.jpg   Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-passenger-side-ballast.jpg   Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-hid-vs-halogen-2-_1024x768.jpg   Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-hid-close-up_1024x768.jpg   Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-hid-vs-high-beam_1024x768.jpg  

Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-interior-led-front_1024x768.jpg   Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-interior-led-back_1024x768.jpg   Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-license-plate-led_1024x768.jpg   Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think-morimoto-hid-kit.jpg  

Nice job !
    Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by audi4t View Post
    Nice job !
    Thank you. The only thing that worries me a bit is the use of the zip ties and the fact that they may become brittle and break after a winter. Once the weather warms up I will have to spend more time and look for a suitable place to bolt the ballasts to the frame or replace the zip ties with some automotive grade ones (or some industrial grade velcro straps).

Don
    Great job and the pictures you took are fantastic.
    2011 Lexus CT 200h Premium-Tungsten Pear/Water Gray Leather
    Premium Audio, HDD Navigation, LED Headlamps, Illuminated door sills, Preferred accessory packages.

Quote Originally Posted by ct200anon View Post
    Thank you. The only thing that worries me a bit is the use of the zip ties and the fact that they may become brittle and break after a winter. Once the weather warms up I will have to spend more time and look for a suitable place to bolt the ballasts to the frame or replace the zip ties with some automotive grade ones (or some industrial grade velcro straps).
    If it makes you feel any better...I did the same thing...I only used the zip ties...no bolting down. Of course, here in sunny Ft Lauderdale, we don't get weather as cold and harsh as you do. If you can and get a chance, post a pic of the beam pattern...I doh't quite understand what you meant by the light area goes dark after the beam pattern (or something like that). My lights light up at least two lanes on either side and very bright and white (5000K) in front of the car. They do have a purple flicker at start up but so do a lot of factory HID lights on cars from Europe that I have owned....they don't flicker on and off...and they get to full white brightness very quickly...probably within 7-10 seconds and only after a cold start from sitting overnight....otherwise, they come on bright white at start -up. Glad you like them.

Looks great! and thanks for posting up pics!

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy View Post
    If it makes you feel any better...I did the same thing...I only used the zip ties...no bolting down. Of course, here in sunny Ft Lauderdale, we don't get weather as cold and harsh as you do. If you can and get a chance, post a pic of the beam pattern...I doh't quite understand what you meant by the light area goes dark after the beam pattern (or something like that). My lights light up at least two lanes on either side and very bright and white (5000K) in front of the car. They do have a purple flicker at start up but so do a lot of factory HID lights on cars from Europe that I have owned....they don't flicker on and off...and they get to full white brightness very quickly...probably within 7-10 seconds and only after a cold start from sitting overnight....otherwise, they come on bright white at start -up. Glad you like them.
    What I meant by the light area going dark is this: I drove the car at night on a country road with no street lights - complete darkness. The lights light up about 200 or so feet in front of the car. But, at the point where the beam of light ends (200 or so ft in front of the car) the change from light to dark is very abrupt. It almost looks like a black wall. Now, this may be because the lit area is so bright. It may also be the case with halogens, I don't know, I never tried this experiment with the original halogens. It's a bit scary when you drive at a bit of a higher speed (I was doing about 80 KM/h). It was even worse when coming off a peak in the road and going down an incline and then the road went up again - it felt like the road was suddenly "coming at me".

On a different note, I had my wife drive behind me at night to see how the lights look and when she was going over bumps in the road (so going up and down) I could definitely see a lot of "flaring" in the rear view mirror - quite annoying. Probably more so for drivers coming the opposite way. I suppose that's the downside of not having factory HIDs with the auto-levelling feature (I never noticed this with BMWs or other cars that have the factory HIDs).

Nice work. Yeah, I used HD velcro for my ballasts, found some @ Home Depot actually, they were big circular velcro patches, I just trimmed them to fit.

'11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)