Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Got My HID's Installed Today...Here's Some Pix and What I Think

Interesting beam pattern in your pics.

Describing your general upper cuttoff pattern as "concave" (lower in the middle) the beam pattern on my wifes car is "convex" (higher in the middle).

Another update her car has DDM HID's installed the no firing issue is very infrequent and hasn't occurred at start up in weeks, can't figure that out ?????

I still didn't get around to installing the relay harness.

Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ct200anon View Post
    Oh, great, thank you. I hadn't realized that we need the can-bus harnesses for our CT200. What exactly are these used for? The price must have gone up since you ordered, the kits are now $150 plus shipping.
    I don't believe the Ct has a true CAN bus electrical system.

Modern BMW's have CAN bus which utilizes low voltage electronic signals to communicate with all devices (local internet).

This allows features such as turn on , turn off, bulb working, bulb not working etc. to be performed and that information relayed back and forth by the cars ECU over the cars wiring system.

On a true CAN bus system the impedance of each device is critical.

For example on the BMW replacing interior lights with simple SMD LED's will generate an error code and they will not operate. This does not happen on the Lexus.

On modern BMW's a simple action of disconnecting and reconnecting electrical equipment can result in error codes being generated.

Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by audi4t View Post
    I don't believe the Ct has a true CAN bus electrical system.

Modern BMW's have CAN bus which utilizes low voltage electronic signals to communicate with all devices (local internet).

This allows features such as turn on , turn off, bulb working, bulb not working etc. to be performed and that information relayed back and forth by the cars ECU over the cars wiring system.

On a true CAN bus system the impedance of each device is critical.

For example on the BMW replacing interior lights with simple SMD LED's will generate an error code and they will not operate. This does not happen on the Lexus.

On modern BMW's a simple action of disconnecting and reconnecting electrical equipment can result in error codes being generated.
    Thank you for this, it's useful info I was not aware of. Should I order the Can-Bus harness anyway (it is an option with the Morimoto HID kits)? Will it have a negative impact if not needed?

I have no idea....I called Andrew there and told him which model car I have by Lexus...he told me this was the best kit available that they sell. You can get cheaper kits from a lot of different places. They also will accept returns if you get it and think it's not what you want but they do charge a 25% restocking fee (ouch). I love it...no problems at startup...bulbs are the same color for left and right (I have heard that some of the cheaper ones have to equalize a bit to be the same). When I start my car at night or am driving and the sun goes down (I always leave my headlights in the AUTO position) they come on no problem. Purple at startup for a brief moment but within 3-5 seconds, pure white...no flickering at all. These look like factory HID's if you were to have had them as an option on the car. I love them...they are very bright, very white....the only option I would think is to choose 5000K or 6000K...the light output above 4200K starts diminishing a bit as you go higher...so I asked Andrew which bulbs were the whitest without the blue color...that's why I went with 5000K. If anyone else gets this kit (Morimoto), let me know how you like it. Also, as far has the price, I think I ordered it back in December (early part of the month) and they had a coupon code for like 15% off when you spend a certain amount of money.
    Last edited by bondguy; 12-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.

I do know that with the HID bulbs, because they are a gas that is getting charged (that's what produces the light...not a filament), they do have a break in period...they will tend to look a little different after about 25 hours of use and then set in (this is what I was told). I think the fact that these use a CAN BUS system (which WAS used on fancier cars like Mercedes and BMW in the late 90's and early 2000's), that's what separates them from some of the cheaper EBAY setups on the market today. I truly believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to these things...heck, you spent at least $35K on the car don't cheap out on a set of headlights that are something you depend upon when driving at night (not you but anyone in general).

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy View Post
    I do know that with the HID bulbs, because they are a gas that is getting charged (that's what produces the light...not a filament), they do have a break in period...they will tend to look a little different after about 25 hours of use and then set in (this is what I was told). I think the fact that these use a CAN BUS system (which WAS used on fancier cars like Mercedes and BMW in the late 90's and early 2000's), that's what separates them from some of the cheaper EBAY setups on the market today. I truly believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to these things...heck, you spent at least $35K on the car don't cheap out on a set of headlights that are something you depend upon when driving at night (not you but anyone in general).
    Just to repeat - Lexus does not have a true CAN bus electrical system - it does not give error warnings when bulbs are out.
    What your supplier is providing is an auxiliary relay set up, which provides "direct" 12 volts to the ballast via a relay rather than through the headlight switch and wiring.
    This is similar similar to other vendors auxiliary relay kits.
    Their kit also attempts to simulate the original impedance of the headlight system, using additional resistors, for vehicles that have a true CAN bus.

That is correct...no CAN BUS system comes on the CT200h. However, the ballasts I'm using use a CAN BUS connector to send signals to the ECU (brain) of the car...because the HIS's use less power than the typical 55 watt Halogens which come standard on the car, it is not a necessary thing to have when converting to HID's but certainly can't hurt..in fact, I think it helps with a lot of the issues some people have been having with bulbs not firing up or flickering. Why is a CANBus harness good for an HID conversion...
    Some vehicles use sensors on their headlight power wires which connect to the CANBus network to monitor headlight functionality and report bulb-out situations. Typically, if the output voltage and/or output wattage on the wire is less than 12.8V and 55W, this triggers the ECU that is monitoring those power wires to send a signal to the CANBus controller letting it know the bulbs are out/defective. This in turn will trigger the dash warning light notifying you a bulb is out. An HID system consumes less power than a halogen system, so when converting to HID, the ECU will report only 35W power consumption which often times is less than the minimum threshold of the sensor's controllers acceptable limit, and triggers the bulb-out warning.
    Here's something I found on a website:
    Having a CANBus decoder equipped ballast can only help you when installing HIDs. A CANBus decoder equipped ballast will operate with a non-CANBus lighting system perfectly so having the additional feature and not using it is better than needing it and not having it. The CANBus ballasts are also manufactured with higher quality components to perform more efficiently than standard non-CANBus ballasts. To put it in a long-term perspective, if you ever switch to a newer vehicle you can transfer the ballasts to that vehicle because chances are it will have a CANBus equipped headlight sensor. Newer vehicles are more likely to use CANBus sensors on the headlights as the technology becomes cheaper to manufacture and implement.

Thank you bondguy and audi4t. The discussion between the two of you made everything more clear and understandable.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, bondguy, did you have to attach auxiliary wires to the car's fuse box, or did you simply attach the Can-Bus harness to the wiring of the existing headlights? I believe it's the latter but just want to make sure, because if I have to attach wires to the fuse box I may re-think the whole project.

Nothing wired to the fuse box...there are the ECU connectors (like a rectangular box) that connect one side to the existing headlight wire and the other side to a ballast...then, one cable from the ballast goes to the wires coming from the new HID bulb. Totally plug and play...these baby's really light up the road...get a set---you won't be disappointed. And, if u get them and don't think you can do it...you can either find a shop or return them. I had no idea what I was doing before attempting so I paid a shop who specializes in light conversions $50 to install...he asked me to watch him install so I would learn in case I ever wanted to remove them. We didn't bolt the ballasts down but tied them with those plastic adjustable ties to the far sides of firewall.

Here's a cool video someone made showing how weatherproof the Morimoto 3Five ballast is...totally placed underwater and it still ignites the bulbs and works fine...that's cool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now