Ordered This HID Kit Today...Seems To Be A GREAT One - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ordered This HID Kit Today...Seems To Be A GREAT One

If you have a any problem in there one time you can visit on hid kits and and choose the best item for you. they all are genuine parts with guaranty. Also i have recommend to you i have already use the item from there all part are awesome and bang on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Hi. Did anyone have trouble with ground shadowing?
    I read on one of the other forums that there might be issues with the CT. I contacted Morimoto support and they mentioned something about getting an H11B bulb as that would not have an ground shadow. Anyone have this issue with the normal H11 Elite HID System from Morimoto?

Thanks
    -Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlavio829 View Post
    Hi. Did anyone have trouble with ground shadowing?
    I read on one of the other forums that there might be issues with the CT. I contacted Morimoto support and they mentioned something about getting an H11B bulb as that would not have an ground shadow. Anyone have this issue with the normal H11 Elite HID System from Morimoto?

Thanks
    -Michael
    I installed the normal H11 kit from Morimoto over a year ago with the H11 bulb. I've had the ground shadowing right from the beginning but didn't think anything much of it. I was not even aware of the H11B bulb (perhaps it is something new?).

Anyway, an update now after more than 1 year: one of my lights is no longer working. I have been in contact with TRS and have gone through some troubleshooting (switching parts from one side to the other) and have determined that it is the ballast. I will update here with the resolution (I just fired an email off to TRS with my findings this weekend). I will inquire about the H11B bulb (although I no longer have confidence in this whole kit and will probably switch to something else altogether - see below).

I have done some more research into this and have found a few other postings on other sites from people living in cold climates having similar problems (one or both lights stopped working) with the Morimoto kits. I am in Southern Ontario and it is really cold here. I am now looking into other kits that are more reliable in cold weather as I don't have the time or patience to go through this every so often. Anyone have any recommendations? I have read that the kits from xenondepot.com are well regarded (and they come with Philips bulbs which are supposedly better).

We use this kit on my wife's CT200h and after almost 25k miles, not a single issue! For me, quality is important since my wife drives at night and any failure is un-acceptable. I've installed these in over 20+ CT's in the bay area and no issues if done correctly with soldered connections.

See for yourself:

Not sure what connections you soldered. There was nothing to solder in the kit I received, it was all "plug and play" so to speak. You said you've installed these in the bay area, where it's relatively warm. Where I am it's freezing cold, we've had subzero temperatures for months. I, too, have not had problems while the weather was warm. But when the freezing temperatures started I occasionally had the lights flicker on and off, or sometime one would not turn on until after 3-4 tries, until one of them failed completely. You can do a google search and you'll find others with the same problem in cold temperatures. TRS will send me a new ballast, but I have to pay for shipping, which ticks me off. As in your case, this is the car my wife drives and failure is unacceptable, so I will be looking for another, more reliable kit.

Hey ct200anon, I just posted in one of the other threads about the Morimoto 3Five kit.
    https://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-how-do-yourself/121032-another-diy-hid-install-best-place-ballasts-pics-2.html

I
    as well purchased the Morimoto kit from retrosource with the standard 3Five bulbs. I went for the 5000k for a whiter color. However, I also noticed the shadowing right away. If you read my post from the other thread, I went ahead and ordered the newer XB35 H11 bulbs. I really wish I knew prior to buying the kit in May. I'm curious as to why I don't see more information about this shadow effect, as many modern cars this would happen too.
    Anyway, I still think these ballasts and can-bus set up from retrosource are really solid.

cheers,
    cdog

Ordered This HID Kit Today...Seems To Be A GREAT One-morimoto_h11_3five_elitekit_with_3five_bulbs.jpg
    Last edited by cdog; 09-03-2013 at 01:40 PM.

I'm considering of upgrading mine with a Morimoto. But I've read that retrofitting the OEM halogen is illegal so I'm in between of upgrading and not.

So the question is... Is it illegal to retrofit the CT with a HID? I'm planning to upgrade it with 4500k or 5000k. But if it's illegal, I'll stick with the halogen.

It's technically illegal.

Mine are done and have had zero issues, never been flashed, etc.

Makes a huge difference if you drive at night a lot - well worth the upgrade - even if its not "legal"
    Last edited by Vester72; 09-05-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Where did you pick up the power feed from under the hood using that monster cable they provided with the fuse and relays? I have mine hooked up without that piece and they were ok for a while. Now when it gets cold they flicker like crazy. I'm thinking because I didn't use that cable with the fuse and relay and 2 grounds. I just installed them with that error message capacitor piece.

I found a diagram here, but I used the fuse box under the hood and it was very easy and eased my concerns as I'm in Chicago and was worried about the HIDs working in sub zero temps (I drive to work).

Here is the thread: 12V terminal in fuse box

The red animation (looks like a small mushroom) - lift that cover off and attach the relay to that 12v connection there and the HIDs will fire perfectly.

You only need to connect the driver side light connection to the relay and the auto lights will work perfectly.

Relay I used: XS Blog - HID Wiring Harness Explained

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)