CT ride quality?? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CT ride quality??

So, I'm test driving a CT200h in UK for a couple of days, and there are many things I really like about it, in particular the seat comfort and steering wheel...and noise level when driving at low-medium speeds, However, I have 2 concerns which I'm looking for advice on....and as a noobie, apologies for the 101 questions.

1. Road noise on the motorway when doing 70mph....I assume this would be so over 70mph but of course that would be illegal in UK .
    2. I feel every medium sized bump and get thrown about a bit compared with my current 3 series tourer.

So, here's the question...the tyres/tires on this model are 215/45R17 87W. In UK there are options to have a 205/55R16 91V or 215/45R17. What's the view on whether these are likely to reduce road noise and/or increase stability??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

My wife's car has 17" rims and I agree the ride is firm. More like a BMW than a Japanese sedan. However, I prefer the firmer ride.

I'm surprised about the noise level in general regardless of speed. I guess the lowest priced Lexus has to give up something and sound deadening is one of those things.

Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by gb098095 View Post
    So, I'm test driving a CT200h in UK for a couple of days, and there are many things I really like about it, in particular the seat comfort and steering wheel...and noise level when driving at low-medium speeds, However, I have 2 concerns which I'm looking for advice on....and as a noobie, apologies for the 101 questions.

1. Road noise on the motorway when doing 70mph....I assume this would be so over 70mph but of course that would be illegal in UK .
    2. I feel every medium sized bump and get thrown about a bit compared with my current 3 series tourer.

So, here's the question...the tyres/tires on this model are 215/45R17 87W. In UK there are options to have a 205/55R16 91V or 215/45R17. What's the view on whether these are likely to reduce road noise and/or increase stability??
    Welcome to the forum.

Road noise is a bit of an issue and the thrashing of the 1.8L engine when accelerating hard. Having come from an IS250 this was one of the first things I noticed to be honest. However, you do soon get used to it as you drive past garage after garage and not needing to fill up, a small price to pay I feel. Also, a nudge of the volume control on the music system helps as well!

The wheels, yes the 17 inch versions are low profile and you do feel more bumps than normal, what I would say though is no more than any other car of it's size with low profile tyres on, again just adjust the driving style is what I would say. The 16 inch versions will give you slightly better fuel economy according to Lexus, but they look naff IMHO.

Hope this helps

Just a little note, if you've not had a hybrid before, with the engine either off or running in a small rpm range, road noise can be more noticeable because the car runs more quietly. Still, I don't doubt there isn't as much sound deadening as in higher end models, both for price and weight reasons...

I find the comments about noise surprising. I run a GS300, 2003 model, and I thought (on an extended test drive of about 120 miles, some on motorway) that the CT was as quiet at 70 mph as the GS and far quieter around town.

I think, though, that if UK speed limits had allowed me to do 80 mph, I would have found the GS to be quieter

i drove the ES300 as a loaner while my CT200h was getting the remote start installed and the sound in the cabin was much quieter than my CT. compared to other compact cars like the Mazda 3 and VW Golf, the CT is quieter but don't even try to compare road noise in the CT to other Lexuses - it is night and day. the low-rolling-resistance tires as well as the 17" wheels mentioned above also contribute to this road noise. don't get me wrong, it's tolerable and better than you would expect for a car this size, but it is definitely noticeable.

SID
    sporty, but this car likes good road, otherwise you feel every small bump
    they do some suspension tuning - body lateral dampers, some kind of sway bar but hydraulic (option on some markets, don't know about usa), some people write that it helps a little.

KKM
    Quote Originally Posted by SID View Post
    sporty, but this car likes good road, otherwise you feel every small bump
    they do some suspension tuning - body lateral dampers, some kind of sway bar but hydraulic (option on some markets, don't know about usa), some people write that it helps a little.
    The low profile tires has a big effect as well, change to higher profile and it would also help.

SID
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    The low profile tires has a big effect as well, change to higher profile and it would also help.
    i've got stock 205/55R16.
    just too bad roads in russia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)