Is there a universal fix for this violent shuddering at startup?
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a universal fix for this violent shuddering at startup?

Is there a universal fix for this violent shuddering at startup?

Hello Everyone!

I have owned my 2012 CT200H for 4 years and have personally drive the past ~90k miles on it. I am at 133k and experiencing the violent shutter that appears to be common among 3rd gen Prius and our Ct200h. This occurred twice in 2018 and the dealer conducted a one time good faith repair under TSB L-SB-0004-13, replacing the Intake Manifold. All was good since they conducted this repair. Fast forward to now, I am having this issue at 60-100 degree days almost every time I start the car. Weirdly enough, it won't shudder if I leave the car running and the engine shuts off when the hybrid system takes over. However, if I turn the car off for 1-2 minutes, it will shutter upon starting back up. In the past couple days, I have started to get misfire codes on Cylinders 2 & 4. Once I rev the engine a bit, everything smooths out. I do not believe I have any contaminated oil or am losing coolant.

So far I have cleaned the Throttle body & EGR pipe.

Can anyone solve this mystery for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Happened to me once 2 years ago (in the UK ) in my 2011. The weather was extremely cold then.
    The only thing I have done since this problem is once a month I add an injector cleaner every time I fuel up. I haven’t cleaned anything with the EGR setup. I’m now on 99K and it’s never done it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a known issue. When moisture builds up on the manifold, it causes a pretty significant knock at startup.
    There's nothing anyone can do (or at least they haven't figured it out) but it doesn't cause any harm.

It's happened to me a handful of times, only when it's very cold out and typically after a short trip.
    2012 CT 200H|Premium Audio|Leather Pkg|Remote Start|F-Sport Grille|4300K DDM headlights|2500K Halo Solaris Yellow fogs
    2016 RAV4 SE S-Code

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I live in Arizona, have never had the problem.

I could reproduce it(less violent) last year twice. After a snowfall i had to move the car,to remove the snow and put it back where it was before. The next day i started the car manually and heard the knocking for a few seconds.
    I did a few fill ups with premium gas to see if it would eliminate it, but the last snowfall brought a bad luck with it and the car spent 43 days at the body shop.
    Next winter i ll start all over again

Envoyé de mon LG-H831 en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to clean the EGR cooler, intake manifold and replace the PCV valve. I am not holding my breath that this will do anything but it's probably a good idea as preventative maintenance anyway.

Both my Prius and CT200h have had this issue, only on rare instances. Mostly when it was cold and when I let the car sit for a long time. The worst was when I had the car at the airport for 10 days in the winter. When i started it, the shudder lasted many seconds and I had to feather the throttle a few times to finally make it stop. Just passed 100K though and no issues.

Same thing happened to my car, if you haven’t seen my post. I had the head gasket replaced, and a few weeks later threw a rod. I’d say prepare for an engine swap or time to sell.

Check your coolant expansion tank, I bet it’s low or empty.
    Last edited by Mevadus; 08-16-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Oh. your post makes ME shudder. I had the same thing happen to me. It happened only a couple times, then after a year, happened again. Engine light came on. Was a head gasket, and found out one of the heads had to be remachined. This was on my 2013 and at about 115k. OMG the labor costs. I think it was like 4k and my kbb is only 7-8k. Ouch. It's only a Base model. good luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)