Performance chip - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Performance chip

Lol - keep it civil people

"Performance" chip - a chip change type system does exist called the PICC : Frequently Asked Questions
    But I wouldn't recommend it. It's to go with a Plug In Hybrid conversion kit for the Prius which does stuff like allow EV only mode at up to 70mph and almost certainly lots of other little changes. It might even unlock the 90bhp engine + 74bhp motor is limited to 134bhp combined system power. Lots of promises in that Faq and I'm not sure how much I trust them.

It's not a performance chip though - it doesn't do the Standard Hybrid Marketing Promise (see this all the time) of 200 mpg with 0 to 60 of 5secs. That promise that gets thrown out with most hybrid concept cars really damages the reputation of hybrids when none of them deliver on it. Volvo were doing it as well with their V60. Will they deliver ? I have my doubts.

Midcow's perpetual motion engine - I've heard about this before ... It's an urban legend thing. But it's actually rooted in a true story : Richard Clem perpetual motion engine.

The urban legend has it that he invented this incredible engine that ran by itself while providing huge excess power. It would have made the petrol industry redundant and revolutionised the car industry overnight. You can probably guess that the petrol industry wouldn't have wanted that ... Anyway, the urban legend is that the petrol industry bought off the inventor and effectively buried it.

Perpetual motion engine ? That I have trouble believing.
    Self interest within massive corporations ? Everyone knows that's fact

So sorry - I upgraded ...Currently driving : IS300h Mercury Grey, UK Luxury spec with Nav

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe166 View Post
    Next time try posting a reasonably intelligent question. How could you imagine that such a chip could exist and not be incorporated in the car, except perhaps in the mind of a scam artist?
    Your 2nd response makes about as much sense as your first...none ! The chip does exist from a reputable company, is/was advertised on this site, and has been successfully used on other vehicle applications. My forum question was...does anyone have any knowledge/experience being installed in the CT ? I can assume that it completely excludes you ! Next try answering questions constructively (if that's even possible) or don't answer them at all...you're only making a fool of yourself !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepypete View Post
    Lol - keep it civil people

"Performance" chip - a chip change type system does exist called the PICC : Frequently Asked Questions
    But I wouldn't recommend it. It's to go with a Plug In Hybrid conversion kit for the Prius which does stuff like allow EV only mode at up to 70mph and almost certainly lots of other little changes. It might even unlock the 90bhp engine + 74bhp motor is limited to 134bhp combined system power. Lots of promises in that Faq and I'm not sure how much I trust them.

It's not a performance chip though - it doesn't do the Standard Hybrid Marketing Promise (see this all the time) of 200 mpg with 0 to 60 of 5secs. That promise that gets thrown out with most hybrid concept cars really damages the reputation of hybrids when none of them deliver on it. Volvo were doing it as well with their V60. Will they deliver ? I have my doubts.

Midcow's perpetual motion engine - I've heard about this before ... It's an urban legend thing. But it's actually rooted in a true story : Richard Clem perpetual motion engine.

The urban legend has it that he invented this incredible engine that ran by itself while providing huge excess power. It would have made the petrol industry redundant and revolutionised the car industry overnight. You can probably guess that the petrol industry wouldn't have wanted that ... Anyway, the urban legend is that the petrol industry bought off the inventor and effectively buried it.

Perpetual motion engine ? That I have trouble believing.
    Self interest within massive corporations ? Everyone knows that's fact
    Thanks for responding...good info to know. After midcow's sarcastic post...you've renewed my faith in the forum ~

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
    midcow...cute response (keep your day job). Next time try posting a real intelligent, constructive one !
    Sorry you thought my post was sarcastic and that I should keep my day job. I guess you missed the subtleness of the title in my response "Cognitive Dissonance". I guess I could have said Oxymoron. The CT200h is a high mileage car and not a performance car. If you got a Ct200h and were looking for performance , then you got the wrong car was my point. Let's say a performance chip did exist and you could improve the current 9.8 second 0-60 time you would certainly reduce the miles per gallon because miles per gallon and performance are inversely proportional. And what would you want to improve it to ? Even taking it down to 7 seconds flat; it still isn't a performance car. Now a diesel engine generate a lot more torque an has more energy efficiency than a gas engine; BMW makes a nice performance diesel the 335d A turbo or supercharger also improves horsepower at minimal impact to mileage. Adding a turbo to the Ct200h might be you best performance bet and actually get some gain, except that the engine compartment is already crowded, so it would be difficult to fit in What does a performance chip do exactly? It reprograms the ECU to keep the ECTV ratio higher longer (there are now gears/speeds to downshift), advance the timing, change fuel-to-air ratio, the electric motor boost and electric motor voltage There are a couple of issues with a performance chip on the Ct200h. First the gas motor is tuned to the Atkinson cycle (originating from the Otto cycle) keeps the intake valves open longer than normal for high mileage; the programming to change that to performance could possibly work but your mileage would drop significantly). The transmission is already ECTV which is already very efficient allow a lot wider effective drive range from a very high starting ratio along with electric motor to provide high take-off torque and the a very low highway ratio to provide good highway mileage. About the only thing a performance chip might do would be to hold the ratio lower longer but even that is impacted by the way the Atkinson cycle works. So developing a performance chip for the Ct200h hybrid would be difficult if not impossible. Again if the performance of the CT200h is not too your liking then maybe you should have purchased a different car. Mileage is only one factor in the economics of a car and many people rate it much higher than its real economy factor . When you buy a car there are many factors to consider.

Oh about my day and keeping it. I was retired for three years after a long successful career. January of this year I was offer a sweet consulting gig and accepted. It is pretty nice great money and almost all of it is disposable income. So I will take your advice and keep my day job.

One parting thought, I didn't mean to offend you with my remarks, I wasn't sure whether you were serious or not when you asked about a performance chip for the Ct200h?

Take Care and enjoy your C2220h,
    MidCow3
    Last edited by midcow3; 07-22-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    2011Matador Red Mica CT Premium Black Nuluxe Interior with Custom Installed Sound, Navigation, Morimoto 55W 6000K HIDs, Xenon White 96-SMD LED fogs.

Race Red Focus ST, Smooth shifting 6-speed manual. Recaro black leather seats. 2 liter engine. Awesome power 252 Hp, 270 ft-lbs torque = 2,000-4,500 RPM. No turbo lag. Decent mileage, achieving 28 mpg overall rated 23/32. Interior space 23.8 cu ft cargo with all seats up. Audio, light years better than Premium CT. FUN FACTOR 10 out of 10.

I love your answer midcow3!
    JC From Gatineau with a Fire Agate, Premium and Tan Leather.

It would be interesting if a chip could modifiy the cycle itself and simply maximize AF for performance, but then again....its a hybrid...what more can we ask for. lol
    2012 Star Fire Pearl
    Ct200h Premium F-Sport

Previous
    2006 350Z Rev-up BSP
    2004 350Z DE BSP
    2002 350Z DE BSP
    2001 Tiburon GT BSP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)