Dash Cam Install
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dash Cam Install

Dash Cam Install

Curious how everyone has dash cams installed. Figuring out if I want to tap my homelink mirror or not. Any tips are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I ran a power cable from the cigarette lighter plug, under the carpet, up the side panel and to the mirror. I was planning on hiding it by tapping into the cigarette power below the dash, eventually.

It did seem to mess with the light sensor when I had the screen on (I think the sensor is on the back of the mirror).

Any updates to this? I'm really wanting to add a dash cam. I currently use my cigarette lighter for a phone holder. I also would much prefer to not have loose cables running around. Has anyone tapped power from the rear view mirror?

The black plastic around the 'arm' to the rear view mirror pops right off. I just used some little plastic prying tools I have. There was indeed a plug there, I haven't checked if its 12V coming off. But that would be a great place to tap into.

But now I'm more interested in moving the mirror upwards. I find it is too low and blocks my vision at times.

Still learning about and shopping for cameras. I took a minute to get into the rear view of my 2013 F-Sport. This is the plug. Anyone by chance know what is hot and ground? I assume red is +. I need to take another look. I didn't realize how blurry this was till I got it on my laptop. I'm really wanting to tap power here instead of running cables all over. All input welcome.

I've gathered that I will want to use a 12v to 5v step down converter with open wires on one end and a female USB on the other. I hope it will fit above the headliner. That's a scary idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam Install-img_4098.jpg  
    Last edited by Cleantone; 08-19-2016 at 04:42 PM.

I've ordered a Drok 12v to 5v open wire stepdown with mini usb output and a Viofo A119 with GPS. I'm hoping to tap into this plug. I'm not exactly sure how though. Any insights?

I've had the Rexing V1 in my s2000 for a while without issue, I plan to have one for the CT as well, here's a quick video in this clip.. hope it helps.

I'm using a Falcon Zero F360. Comes with a hardware kit that plugs in right into the fuse box. Will get some pics of it tomorrow.

I got my dashcam and 12v step down. I'm now having to consider how exactly to tap the power. I took my mirror off and dropped the overhead console. I will have plenty of room to stash my drok converter ones it's wired. Now that I have the mirror power block off of mirror I'm seeing how small everything is. I guess I will have to splice the wires above the block and solder things back in place. Any tips before I do? Should I be trying something else? This is outside of my comfort range slightly.Dash Cam Install-img_4599.jpg
    Last edited by Cleantone; 08-27-2016 at 01:57 PM.

It was a major pain in the butt. Mostly figuring everything out. I could do it again much more quickly. I tried to fabricate some "needle leads" and jam them into the mirror's terminal block. It was a tight fit and I busted one. So then I had to look for something else. I ended up cutting the wires (which I wanted to avoid) and using Scotchlok Connectors to connect the three wires together. It was tricky but worked great. You lose some length on the cable so it's not as tidy above the overhead console as is used to be. Oh well. It worked perfectly though. Here is a small gallery of pics. http://imgur.com/a/dehuB
    Last edited by Cleantone; 08-27-2016 at 06:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)