Adding Subwoofer and keeping stock headunit
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding Subwoofer and keeping stock headunit

Adding Subwoofer and keeping stock headunit

This is in regards to the Base 6-speaker audio.

I'm installing my custom made ported 8" enclosure and JL amp today and so far I'm still not sold on Leonar40's location to tap into the rear speaker signals for the sub amp's signal that go to the rear speakers. He did mention that the signal is fairly week and he had to turn the gains all the way up on the sub, as well as use some bass boost which I'm not a fan of.

Short of getting a new headunit, are there any alternate sources people had success with?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I see two choices:
    1) run high level into the amp (if the amp can accept high level in) from the rear speaker wires, either at the radio or the rear speakers; that would give it a higher voltage in so you don't have to turn the gains up so high.
    Or 2) if you run rca's (if you are using a line level converter) either get a loc with a line driver built in or use a dedicated line driver. That way you can boost up the line voltage to the amps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Starfire Pearl CT200h
    Base...but modding all the time
    12 volt is my life...
    MECP Master Certified
    ASE A6 Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I see two choices:
    1) run high level into the amp (if the amp can accept high level in) from the rear speaker wires, either at the radio or the rear speakers; that would give it a higher voltage in so you don't have to turn the gains up so high.
    Or 2) if you run rca's (if you are using a line level converter) either get a loc with a line driver built in or use a dedicated line driver. That way you can boost up the line voltage to the amps.

Thanks Bill.

I want to keep from using an LOC as the JL Amp I have accepts hi-level which was part of the reason I bought it to eliminate additional components.

Question is, is there a difference from tapping at the headunit, vs by the rear speaker? I'm not sure if there is an amplifier in between the headunit and rear speaker or if everything is just amplified via a built in amp in the headunit. If that were the case, then tapping into signal by the headunit vs rear speaker area wouldn't matter too much since nothing changes in between them. Perhaps a slight signal strength loss due to the distance.

However, if there is a factory amplifier somewhere between the headunit and the rear speaker, then I would have to consider if I want to risk the additional noise factor of getting my signal from an already amplified signal, or if I want to go with the pre-ampilfied signal and deal with running a higher gain on the amp to make up from a weaker signal.

You mentioned you tapped into the rear of the headunit using a wiring harness. Why did you do so? I was planning on just using T-taps to the back of the headunit to the two wires going to the rear speaker. Just want to know if the harness provides a cleaner sound, or was just used to keep an OE/reversible install in mind.

if you have the base audio (no amp) then there is difference if you get the audio signals at the radio or the speakers.

If you have the amp then you're going to have to deal with the outputs at the amp.

I got everything at the radio for a couple of reasons:
    1) at one point there will be a kit made for our vehicles, so until that time comes I will have everything I need (rca's, turn on wire) to put the radio in easily.
    2) The 60-1761 harness allows me to make my connections without having to T-Tap, crimp, or any connection into the factory harness. If I pull it out there will be no way of knowing that there was anything tied into the system.
    12 volt is my life...
    MECP Master Certified
    ASE A6 Certified

This would be my suggestion if you don't have a powerful amp for the speakers. The stronger the signal in, the louder the output for the same amount of amplification. Honestly though it's easier to just get a beefy amp. I may have my amp gain up 100%, but my bass strength on the OEM head unit is only at 2/5 and my bass boost is only at about 20%. So I actually have quite a bit of room to play if I really want to turn it up. So in other words if I had a 150W amp, I might go for the line driver. But with a 300W amp, I'm good. If you want to really bang it, get a 500W amp.

I was planning on just using T-taps
    I have never used T-taps but there are many many threads online warning again them as they tend to come loose over time. I use Posi-taps and they have much better reviews. They are also removable without destroying the original wiring. I liked them so much I cut off the t-taps on the illuminated door sills and use posi-taps there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    if you have the base audio (no amp) then there is difference if you get the audio signals at the radio or the speakers.

If you have the amp then you're going to have to deal with the outputs at the amp.
    Just to clarify since I think you missed a word.

Base Audio = no amp = doesn't make a difference whether it's at the radio or at the speakers.

Also, where are you guys getting your remote turn on from?

Quote Originally Posted by leonar40 View Post
    This would be my suggestion if you don't have a powerful amp for the speakers. The stronger the signal in, the louder the output for the same amount of amplification. Honestly though it's easier to just get a beefy amp. I may have my amp gain up 100%, but my bass strength on the OEM head unit is only at 2/5 and my bass boost is only at about 20%. So I actually have quite a bit of room to play if I really want to turn it up. So in other words if I had a 150W amp, I might go for the line driver. But with a 300W amp, I'm good. If you want to really bang it, get a 500W amp.

I have never used T-taps but there are many many threads online warning again them as they tend to come loose over time. I use Posi-taps and they have much better reviews. They are also removable without destroying the original wiring. I liked them so much I cut off the t-taps on the illuminated door sills and use posi-taps there as well.
    I may just give the amp I have a shot right now. The sub is rated for 200watts peak, and the amp I have is rated at 300wrms.

Quote Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
    Just to clarify since I think you missed a word.

Base Audio = no amp = doesn't make a difference whether it's at the radio or at the speakers.

That is correct...sorry, my mind is going faster then my typing.

You can use the accessory wire off the radio as your turn on. Not too many choices otherwise...the amps will still be on even if the radio is turned off.

12 volt is my life...
    MECP Master Certified
    ASE A6 Certified

The Rockford Fosgate amp that I have had a signal sensing circuit that senses the speaker signal to turn on the amp. So I did not need a remote turn-on signal at all. Please read that section in my write-up becuase there are a couple of different settings on that amp. One works great, and the other didn't really work out too well at all. It was much too sensitive and caused the amp to turn on when the doors closed.

The sub is rated for 200watts peak, and the amp I have is rated at 300wrms.
    You need to be really careful with your amp gain then or you could easily damage your subwoofer. If your sub is rated for 200W MAX, then it's likely rated for only around 100W RMS (this varies by manufacturer) and so your amp would be 3x more powerful than what your subwoofer can handle if you turn the gain on the amp to MAX.

Quote Originally Posted by leonar40 View Post
    The Rockford Fosgate amp that I have had a signal sensing circuit that senses the speaker signal to turn on the amp. So I did not need a remote turn-on signal at all. Please read that section in my write-up becuase there are a couple of different settings on that amp. One works great, and the other didn't really work out too well at all. It was much too sensitive and caused the amp to turn on when the doors closed.

You need to be really careful with your amp gain then or you could easily damage your subwoofer. If your sub is rated for 200W MAX, then it's likely rated for only around 100W RMS (this varies by manufacturer) and so your amp would be 3x more powerful than what your subwoofer can handle if you turn the gain on the amp to MAX.
    Mine doesn't have the signal sensing turn on. I thought it did, but it doesn't. Going to have to tap into something. I remember seeing someone mention something about a black accessories wire. Do you remember which harness that was part of at all?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)