LED Daytime Running Lights Question. Need Help!
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED Daytime Running Lights Question. Need Help!

LED Daytime Running Lights Question. Need Help!

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all of the great posts on this forum--it has saved me a lot of headaches. I have a 2011 model with navigation.
    I've been browsing the site, trying to find a specific answer regarding daytime running lights, but I'm still uncertain.
    I just purchased this
    OPT7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit 60w CREE 6000K White Light Bulb

from ebay: OPT7 H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Conversion Kit 60W CREE 6000K White Light Bulb | eBay

I did this, because one of my headlights burned out and I wanted to upgrade my halogen lighting--seemed like the perfect time. I've read that by doing this, I will lose the functionality of my high beams. Is this true?
    If true, do I need a decoder kit to get it to work? Is 60W too much for the DRL bulb? I read that LEDs don't draw the full wattage they state.
    If not true, any suggestions for a bright white high beam halogen that will closely match my DRL?

Also, I know that I should have done more research before I purchased this, but am I even doing the right thing? I can still return them if there a better option out there for brighter, whiter, lighting replacement for my car. HID? Better Halogens? Better LED?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Lot of questions. Let me see if I can help.
    First off, I am assuming yours is not factory LED headlights. You say halogen bulb went off, so I am assuming your headlamp is not like this kind of setup http://m.lexusofbrisbane.com.au/stat...light_shot.jpg

But rather you have this kind of setup. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6029002228.png

If my assumption is correct, here are my answers.

Your daytime running lights or the DRL is a strip of LED running horizontally at the bottom.

The halogen headlight is the low beam that you are going to swap with what you bought from eBay.

The high beam on your car is also halogen, but it is higher powered, and I suggest keeping it as is.

No, you will not lose functionality of your high beam by using what you have bought to replace your low beam, simply because it is a different bulb, housed separately in the headlight housing. As such you do not need any decoder.

You will notice from your seller's eBay listing as you scroll that it is 30W per bulb and 60W in total. As such, you are below the Lexus spec for the low beam housing and you do not need to worry on the wattage front.

This is actually a good quality LED headlamp, but the only problem with the bulbs is they have cooling fans instead of a heat sink. The fan as a moving mechanical part can fail. Your seller's eBay site doesn't have much info, but another seller has more pictures 2X Pair OPT7 60W 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs 6000K White Light HID Replacement | eBay. I myself use an earlier version of this. 2015 New 60W 7200LM LED Car Headlight Kit Bulbs H1 H8 H9 H11 9005 9006 9145 9140 | eBay I am using this for the last two years and I am extremely happy with it.

HID's generally have a bit more intensity, but I suspect you'll be happy with the LED headlights because, the LED's are basically just a simple plug-n-play, but with HID you will need some extra ballasts and/or wires running directly from battery to take care of. Plus LED's are supposed to be long life, suffer little from any color shift, turns on with full intensity instantly (unlike halogen or HID), and generally consume less battery.

Good luck.

Last edited by LoveCT; 09-03-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks LoveCT. Your advice is spot on! I installed the lights and I must say that they are great! Now I need to find a good match for 6000k high beams. I searched the internet, but every option is HID. Are there any halogens that are 6000k for the high beams?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Leanut, personally, I wouldn't touch the factory halogens on the high beam; simply because you wouldn't use it much often. And because it is not in a dedicated projector style housing, a white high definition just cheapens the look in my opinion. Well, unless you live in a rural area and need the high beams on a regular basis.
    Instead, I can suggest a replacement of your fogs from halogen to LED, assuming you haven't LED'd the fogs already. You will use the fogs in conjunction with your low beams, and with an LED low beam-fog combination your car tends to look like the more premium offerings from Lexus. You can take a look at my changes done here to see what I am talking about. https://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...y-2013-ct.html

Now the LED fogs can be had from both Lexus and aftermarket. I bough Lexus fogs for my CT, but for another Toyota, I bought the aftermarket morimoto from Retrofit Source. Lexus XB LED Fog Lights - High Performance Fog Lamp Upgrades - The Retrofit Source
    2014 Lexus CT200h Parts - Lexus Parts - Genuine OEM Lexus Auto Parts & Accessories (There are other better sellers out there)

Both offerings from Lexus and Morimoto's are equally good. Morimoto's are very reliable and come at around $120 or so cheaper from Lexus ones. Because these are complete housings, all you have to do is follow the steps mentioned in your manual to access the fogs. Then, instead of extracting the bulbs, you basically use your screwdriver to take out one screw and replace the fogs with the new unit. 15 minutes a side is max time that you would require for this process. You will be happy you did the swap. Good luck!

Hi Leanut, personally, I wouldn't touch the factory halogens on the high beam; simply because you wouldn't use it much often. And because it is not in a dedicated projector style housing, a white high beam just cheapens the look in my opinion. Well, unless you live in a rural area and need the high beams on a regular basis.

Instead, I can suggest a replacement of your fogs from halogen to LED, assuming you haven't LED'd the fogs already. You will use the fogs in conjunction with your low beams, and with an LED low beam-fog combination your car tends to look like the more premium offerings from Lexus. You can take a look at my changes done here to see what I am talking about. https://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...y-2013-ct.html

Now the LED fogs can be had from both Lexus and aftermarket. I bough Lexus fogs for my CT, but for another Toyota, I bought the aftermarket morimoto from Retrofit Source. Lexus XB LED Fog Lights - High Performance Fog Lamp Upgrades - The Retrofit Source
    2014 Lexus CT200h Parts - Lexus Parts - Genuine OEM Lexus Auto Parts & Accessories (There are other better sellers out there)

Both offerings from Lexus and Morimoto's are equally good. Morimoto's are very reliable and come at around $120 or so cheaper from Lexus ones. Because these are complete housings, all you have to do is follow the steps mentioned in your manual to access the fogs. Then, instead of extracting the bulbs, you basically use your screwdriver to take out one screw and replace the fogs with the new unit. 15 minutes a side is max time that you would require for this process. You will be happy you did the swap. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now