HID Conversion Kits
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HID Conversion Kits

Blog Entries

HID Conversion Kits

Maybe I missed it doing a search on this topic, but I didn't see anything regarding HID kit quality. I'm thinking about putting in a HID conversion kit, and have found a bunch on-line. It's my understanding the quality of the light output depends a lot on the quality of the kit (mostly ballasts) as opposed to the (H11) bulb itself. If anyone has done a HID kit conversion or has knowledge of a "quality" kit brand name that they could recommend, I would appreciate any input.

Last edited by viper1; 03-20-2013 at 05:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

General Opinions:
    DDM -pretty poor quality ( Lots of firing failure)
    Kensun – good to very good ( I have had for 1 /1/2 year with no failures)
    Morimoto – very good ( except one person had complete ballast and ligth failure after 1 year)

Color – 4300K matches LED strip perfectly. I like 6000k because has a slight bluish white tint and lights to road with a sharp, bright white.
    Relay harness IS NOT Needed.

YMMV,

MidCow3

2011Matador Red Mica CT Premium Black Nuluxe Interior with Custom Installed Sound, Navigation, Morimoto 55W 6000K HIDs, Xenon White 96-SMD LED fogs.

Race Red Focus ST, Smooth shifting 6-speed manual. Recaro black leather seats. 2 liter engine. Awesome power 252 Hp, 270 ft-lbs torque = 2,000-4,500 RPM. No turbo lag. Decent mileage, achieving 28 mpg overall rated 23/32. Interior space 23.8 cu ft cargo with all seats up. Audio, light years better than Premium CT. FUN FACTOR 10 out of 10.

Blog Entries
    MidCow3...thanks for the info. I'll probably try the Morimoto's...read a lot of favorable reviews about them.

Have you done a kit conversion, or did you get the factory HID's with the option package ? Is there much of a purposeful lighting difference between the HID kit and the stock halogens ? I spoke with Lexus, and they told me it would be cheaper to get a new CT then to have them do a complete HID change-over (around $5000!).

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I plan on installing DDM Tuning HID sets for my headlights and fog lights coming this Sunday. 4500k 35 watt for the headlights and 3000k 35 watt for the fogs. A lot of people i know use DDM Tuning with no issues. I too hope for the same situation. 1 of my cousins currently has it on his A4 and another has it on his subaru wagon, no problems yet!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voracious View Post
    I plan on installing DDM Tuning HID sets for my headlights and fog lights coming this Sunday. 4500k 35 watt for the headlights and 3000k 35 watt for the fogs. A lot of people i know use DDM Tuning with no issues. I too hope for the same situation. 1 of my cousins currently has it on his A4 and another has it on his subaru wagon, no problems yet!
    If you could...it would be nice to post some pictures of one side with the factory halogens and the other side with the 4500K DDM's. Otherwise, keep us posted with the results of your installation...I'm sure it will be useful for other owners. Good luck and thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
    MidCow3...thanks for the info. I'll probably try the Morimoto's...read a lot of favorable reviews about them.

Have you done a kit conversion, or did you get the factory HID's with the option package ? Is there much of a purposeful lighting difference between the HID kit and the stock halogens ? I spoke with Lexus, and they told me it would be cheaper to get a new CT then to have them do a complete HID change-over (around $5000!).
    I did the kit conversion. The HIDs are much. much brighterHID bulbs produce roughly ten times more intense light (over 200,000cd vs. 20,000cd for halogen)
    HID bulbs last eight to ten times longer than halogen bulbs (2750 hours vs. 300 hours)
    HID bulbs produce at least four times more bright light than halogen (3200lu vs. 800lu)
    HID bulbs use less wattage than halogen bulbs (35w vs. 55-85w)
    HID bulbs produce a less visually fatiguing output than halogen (less infrared and UV light)
    HID bulbs produce a higher Kelvin light, which being whiter than the output of a halogen bulb illuminates the road better.
    HID bulbs have high flux properties thus distributing light more evenly.
    HID bulbs produce a much wider and deeper beam pattern than halogen bulbs.
    HID bulbs are much more expensive than halogen bulbs.
    HID systems are very expensive when compared to halogen systems. Someone else is going with DDMs; all I can say is I had bad luck with them and a lot of others have also (search this forum) They are cheap and therefore they are cheap. Oh, yeah Lexus LED headlights are less bright than HIDs but brighter than Halogen and yes you would be a salesman's dream to have you pay $5,000 to change cars. Good Luck, MidCow3
    2011Matador Red Mica CT Premium Black Nuluxe Interior with Custom Installed Sound, Navigation, Morimoto 55W 6000K HIDs, Xenon White 96-SMD LED fogs.

Race Red Focus ST, Smooth shifting 6-speed manual. Recaro black leather seats. 2 liter engine. Awesome power 252 Hp, 270 ft-lbs torque = 2,000-4,500 RPM. No turbo lag. Decent mileage, achieving 28 mpg overall rated 23/32. Interior space 23.8 cu ft cargo with all seats up. Audio, light years better than Premium CT. FUN FACTOR 10 out of 10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by midcow3 View Post
    I did the kit conversion. The HIDs are much. much brighterHID bulbs produce roughly ten times more intense light (over 200,000cd vs. 20,000cd for halogen)
    HID bulbs last eight to ten times longer than halogen bulbs (2750 hours vs. 300 hours)
    HID bulbs produce at least four times more bright light than halogen (3200lu vs. 800lu)
    HID bulbs use less wattage than halogen bulbs (35w vs. 55-85w)
    HID bulbs produce a less visually fatiguing output than halogen (less infrared and UV light)
    HID bulbs produce a higher Kelvin light, which being whiter than the output of a halogen bulb illuminates the road better.
    HID bulbs have high flux properties thus distributing light more evenly.
    HID bulbs produce a much wider and deeper beam pattern than halogen bulbs.
    HID bulbs are much more expensive than halogen bulbs.
    HID systems are very expensive when compared to halogen systems. Someone else is going with DDMs; all I can say is I had bad luck with them and a lot of others have also (search this forum) They are cheap and therefore they are cheap. Oh, yeah Lexus LED headlights are less bright than HIDs but brighter than Halogen and yes you would be a salesman's dream to have you pay $5,000 to change cars. Good Luck, MidCow3
    Thanks for the info...good to know !

I strongly disagree w/ the comments on ddm tuning hids .... I have no misfiring issues on 3 kits I have installed on my 3 diff cars (ct200h, wrx, civic)

If you guys would like I can produce a YouTube video of myself turning off/on said hids back to back w/ repeatable success.

Ive even read of people having issues w/ their hids misfiring using "auto mode", again another problem I have never encountered, my headlights are in auto mode 24/7..... Makes me wonder if its user error o_0

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Hello Viper1,

Finished the installs of the DDM Tuning HID Kits, check pics out here - Photo Album - Imgur

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voracious View Post
    Hello Viper1,

Finished the installs of the DDM Tuning HID Kits, check pics out here - Photo Album - Imgur
    Well done...nice look ! I previously had changed my fogs to 3200K halogens. I like the contrast between the clear white HID headlights and the fogs. How difficult was it to put the HID kit in the fog light area ? Did you use mini-ballasts ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)