HID Conversion Kits - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HID Conversion Kits

Thanks! It wasn't too difficult. My cousin did the vast majority of the work while i helped him clean his yard... lol. the hardest part was finding room to fit error eliminator and slim ballasts in there. I used slim ballasts in regards to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
    Well done...nice look ! I previously had changed my fogs to 3200K halogens. I like the contrast between the clear white HID headlights and the fogs. How difficult was it to put the HID kit in the fog light area ? Did you use mini-ballasts ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Post Maybe DDM is better now, but in Aug 2011 they were terrible

Quote Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
    I strongly disagree w/ the comments on ddm tuning hids .... I have no misfiring issues on 3 kits I have installed on my 3 diff cars (ct200h, wrx, civic)

If you guys would like I can produce a YouTube video of myself turning off/on said hids back to back w/ repeatable success.

Ive even read of people having issues w/ their hids misfiring using "auto mode", again another problem I have never encountered, my headlights are in auto mode 24/7..... Makes me wonder if its user error o_0

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Hey evilchargerfan,

I am glad that you have had good success with DDM. I can tell you from my experience in August 2011 with DDM and others at that time ( search back on the threads on this forum) that their customer service at the time was terrible and they didn't have a clue about the CT200h. They tried relay harnesses and capacitive discharge and when they couldn't figure it out they wanted to use full size ballasts. It wasn't user error, my credentials are pretty solid, we can discuss if you wish. After they stumbled along for 2 months, they finally gave me a full refund after I filed with the BBB. So if DDM has finally figured out how to support the CT200h with their DDM products then great, but that is not how they started out.

YMMV,

MidCow3

2011Matador Red Mica CT Premium Black Nuluxe Interior with Custom Installed Sound, Navigation, Morimoto 55W 6000K HIDs, Xenon White 96-SMD LED fogs.

Race Red Focus ST, Smooth shifting 6-speed manual. Recaro black leather seats. 2 liter engine. Awesome power 252 Hp, 270 ft-lbs torque = 2,000-4,500 RPM. No turbo lag. Decent mileage, achieving 28 mpg overall rated 23/32. Interior space 23.8 cu ft cargo with all seats up. Audio, light years better than Premium CT. FUN FACTOR 10 out of 10.

Their customer service is def something they lack, big time. I put up with them because they are affordable and local

I was not aware their previous ct200h kits were so difficult. .... The ones I bought were plug & play.... install time was about 10 mins per side. Ymmv indeed

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by midcow3 View Post
    I did the kit conversion. The HIDs are much. much brighterHID bulbs produce roughly ten times more intense light (over 200,000cd vs. 20,000cd for halogen)
    HID bulbs last eight to ten times longer than halogen bulbs (2750 hours vs. 300 hours)
    HID bulbs produce at least four times more bright light than halogen (3200lu vs. 800lu)
    HID bulbs use less wattage than halogen bulbs (35w vs. 55-85w)
    HID bulbs produce a less visually fatiguing output than halogen (less infrared and UV light)
    HID bulbs produce a higher Kelvin light, which being whiter than the output of a halogen bulb illuminates the road better.
    HID bulbs have high flux properties thus distributing light more evenly.
    HID bulbs produce a much wider and deeper beam pattern than halogen bulbs.
    HID bulbs are much more expensive than halogen bulbs.
    HID systems are very expensive when compared to halogen systems. Someone else is going with DDMs; all I can say is I had bad luck with them and a lot of others have also (search this forum) They are cheap and therefore they are cheap. Oh, yeah Lexus LED headlights are less bright than HIDs but brighter than Halogen and yes you would be a salesman's dream to have you pay $5,000 to change cars. Good Luck, MidCow3
    Midcow3....I went with the Morimoto's, and really like the 5K look (they match the LED's). Seems like you have some experience with HID's. Have you ever come across a dark spot on the ground about 3'-4' feet long X 1' -2' wide in the area about 10' from the front of the car. I'm only getting it on the right side...the driver side is fine. Any ideas ????

Quote Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
    Well done...nice look ! I previously had changed my fogs to 3200K halogens. I like the contrast between the clear white HID headlights and the fogs. How difficult was it to put the HID kit in the fog light area ? Did you use mini-ballasts ?
    It possibly is a bad or deformed bulb. Try swapping lights nd if the problem follows the light, then I would request a replacement.

The slim ballasts should allow you to use HID for fogs. The fog lights are not that hard to replace. I used LED lights for fogs for looks; bright white almost purplish from JDMToys. The LED lights do not provide much road lighting and if you really have foggy conditions I would not recommend LED lights. Yellow lights are best for fog lights for actual road lighing and visibilty in heavy fog, HID yellow color would be 3000K
    2011Matador Red Mica CT Premium Black Nuluxe Interior with Custom Installed Sound, Navigation, Morimoto 55W 6000K HIDs, Xenon White 96-SMD LED fogs.

Race Red Focus ST, Smooth shifting 6-speed manual. Recaro black leather seats. 2 liter engine. Awesome power 252 Hp, 270 ft-lbs torque = 2,000-4,500 RPM. No turbo lag. Decent mileage, achieving 28 mpg overall rated 23/32. Interior space 23.8 cu ft cargo with all seats up. Audio, light years better than Premium CT. FUN FACTOR 10 out of 10.

Hello everyone!

I currently have two kensun HID kits (one for low beams, and one for fogs)
    They both tend to misfire when the headlights are set to auto mode.
    Usually on colder days, but it also happens on warm days once in a while.

Now that spring is here and the weather is better, I would like to buy relay kits so I don't have to worry about this issue.

Any suggestions on:
    Which relay kit to buy?
    Where to buy it from?
    Where is the battery? Front or back? If in the back, is there a terminal under the hood to hook up the relay kit to?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by midcow3 View Post
    General Opinions:
    DDM -pretty poor quality ( Lots of firing failure)
    Kensun good to very good ( I have had for 1 /1/2 year with no failures)
    Morimoto very good ( except one person had complete ballast and ligth failure after 1 year)

Color 4300K matches LED strip perfectly. I like 6000k because has a slight bluish white tint and lights to road with a sharp, bright white.
    Relay harness IS NOT Needed.

YMMV,

MidCow3
    Just to add on:

Philips HID, should be the best quality? since it costs around $600.

Has longer throw compared to similar Osram Xenarcs.

i am using the 4200K, am pretty impressed
    2012 Ct200h edition.
    Black Paint with Work's Emotion XC-8 17" rims
    Average km/l: 19
    Notto Xenon lamps 5000K (Dead.)
    Philips Original 4200K 35W (I'm Back)
    Green is sexy.

Does anyone have any pictures/tips on how to install the Morimoto kit with the HD wiring harness? What is the HD wiring harness for?

It looks like in this video they do not use the HD harness -

Edit: I followed the video and completed the install. Not as straight forward as the video but good enough.
    Last edited by CharlesCA; 03-14-2015 at 07:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)