LED Daytime Running Lights/Front Blinker Use
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED Daytime Running Lights/Front Blinker Use

Thumbs up LED Daytime Running Lights/Front Blinker Use

Just wanted to express how glad I am that this car is designed differently than the DRL's on the newer Audi's. I find it very annoying and distracting when I see someone with an Audi and LED DRL's on and when they are changing lanes or making a turn, when they turn on their blinker, the LED strip on that side of the car automatically turns off (temporarily) and then turns back on when the blinker shuts off.

I get why they did this (probably they think it's safer and the amber blinker light is more visible when the DRL is off), but is it that much safer/necessary? That's one of the first things I tried out on my car, to make sure the DRL stays ON when signaling.

Thumbs up to Lexus for designing it like this!

'11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Personally I think if anything, it would be marginally safer. The sudden change from bright white light to amber would catch your attention, causing you to focus on the car that just put it's signal on instead of all the cars around it. I notice it especially at dusk - I seem to look at the car only because of that sudden change in light brightness/colour.

The only time I can see it actually being beneficial is when you are about to make a right hand turn from a driveway onto a major road and the Audi is changing from left to right lanes immediately before the driveway you happen to be turning out of, and MAYBE the DRL thing will help you see the signal more clearly lol

Most other scenarios, you will be going in the opposite direction of the Audi when it's signal is put on... so... I don't see any other point, other than another almost useless feature. Besides, it's not that Audi was the first manufacturer to do so - I have seen many chryslers with this feature (mid-2000's mini-vans, etc).

My neighbor down the road owns Audi A8. It seems like every time I see him he is pulling into his driveway. I have noticed his right hand DRL out. I presumed it was just "out". I have been meaning to tell him. After reading this post now I know why. He has his turn signal on.

While I agree that turning the light off while the turn signal is on makes sense, it also leads to others thinking they have a defect on their vehicle.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

All this is nice info but it doesn't change the fact that I don't have lowbeam LED's on my CT....gues I should just be glad I have a CT to drive...I like the LED DRL's on the cars with lowbeam LED's because they go straight across whereas my LED DRL's have a break in them because of the headlamps...in a way, it's kind of cool because it makes them different from the new Lexus IS model

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy View Post
    I like the LED DRL's on the cars with lowbeam LED's because they go straight across whereas my LED DRL's have a break in them because of the headlamps...
    Ya I have to agree, as I ordered a base model - clearly they would make the higher end models look nicer lol. I didn't notice it until the second test drive with a premium package - the first being a technology package with the LED lowbeams and I was excited about the DRL's... then when I saw the premium model lights, I was like "oh". still nice, but I wish I had seen them first.

Ah - what petty things us humans have to complain about

Quote Originally Posted by SCT1984 View Post
    Ya I have to agree, as I ordered a base model - clearly they would make the higher end models look nicer lol. I didn't notice it until the second test drive with a premium package - the first being a technology package with the LED lowbeams and I was excited about the DRL's... then when I saw the premium model lights, I was like "oh". still nice, but I wish I had seen them first.

Ah - what petty things us humans have to complain about
    True, true...at least we have our health...we complain about which headlamps while people in Japan who build these cars for us lost everything in their lives...have to keep things in perspective for sure

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy View Post
    True, true...at least we have our health...we complain about which headlamps while people in Japan who build these cars for us lost everything in their lives...have to keep things in perspective for sure
    Very good point.

I actually don't mind the gap in the DRL's on my car. Having LED DRL's is good enough for me, as I've never had them before and like them a lot. I can't believe how bright they are when I pull into my garage at dusk!

'11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)