Window Tinting...which brand film?
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Window Tinting...which brand film?

Window Tinting...which brand film?

Been surfin' the web for a few days looking for tint shops in the local area. Of course, they all claim to have so many years of professional experience, use the best stuff that never fades, bubbles, peels, and so on. They all have mixed reviews from customers...the best, the worst, expensive, friendly, unfriendly, fair, etc. Prices are similar...most expensive being $40 more than average. All say "typically costs $____, but we'll have to see it and give an quote", "could take up to 4 hours, depending on how busy things are", "you'll just have to come in", "we're booked until...", etc.
    But, they all seem to use different types of films. I haven't had a vehicle tinted since 1994 (all others I've owned already had the factory option), so I really have no knowledge of what's quality or ...sucks. I looked up reviews of best window tints, and again...mixed reviews. I'm tired now.
    Two shops nearby: One uses a brand called Charcool and another uses Formula One. Which is better?

2011 Lexus CT200h, Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel Nuluxe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YuDanJa View Post
    Been surfin' the web for a few days looking for tint shops in the local area. Of course, they all claim to have so many years of professional experience, use the best stuff that never fades, bubbles, peels, and so on. They all have mixed reviews from customers...the best, the worst, expensive, friendly, unfriendly, fair, etc. Prices are similar...most expensive being $40 more than average. All say "typically costs $____, but we'll have to see it and give an quote", "could take up to 4 hours, depending on how busy things are", "you'll just have to come in", "we're booked until...", etc.
    But, they all seem to use different types of films. I haven't had a vehicle tinted since 1994 (all others I've owned already had the factory option), so I really have no knowledge of what's quality or ...sucks. I looked up reviews of best window tints, and again...mixed reviews. I'm tired now.
    Two shops nearby: One uses a brand called Charcool and another uses Formula One. Which is better?
    LLumar is generally a good quality film...I have used it many times over the years on numerous cars...however, someone recommended a brand to me which is supposed to really cut more heat than any other on the market...it is a brand called Huper Optik....Google it...not as readily available but supposed to be worth the extra cost.

I did see one shop offering Huper Optik...some sort of Ceramic Series, but wow...kinda pricey, indeed. That shop also offered Suntek. But, I highly doubt I'll be going to that shop. They guy I spoke to on the phone was pretty rude. I don't get that, really.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I did see one shop offering Huper Optik...some sort of Ceramic Series, but wow...kinda pricey, indeed. That shop also offered Suntek. But, I highly doubt I'll be going to that shop. They guy I spoke to on the phone was pretty rude. I don't get that, really.
    very few dealers install Huper Optik...I heard it is about $300 installed...but, also someone said sometimes if you Google online, they offer coupon codes for like 15% off...everything helps.

The guy I talked to said it'd be close to $379.
    Umm...I don't think I'm willing to spend over $300 for any window tints. I'm sure they're superb in quality and have many features and capabilities...but, in a few years, I know I'll stop caring.

I got Formula One put on mine

And it looks great. Did 35% all the way around (almost legal) and am real happy. I know nothing about tint, but had always heard what mattered most was the people who install. I went to the place in NoVa with the best rep from what I could find. They were running a special so the whole thing was $200 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    And it looks great. Did 35% all the way around (almost legal) and am real happy. I know nothing about tint, but had always heard what mattered most was the people who install. I went to the place in NoVa with the best rep from what I could find. They were running a special so the whole thing was $200 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
    I'd like to get 35% all around, but the two fronts have to be 50% here by law. Which series did you get? I heard there were several versions like Classic, Comfort, Pinnacle, etc.?

I'd like to get 35% all around, but the two fronts have to be 50% here by law. Which series did you get? I heard there were several versions like Classic, Comfort, Pinnacle, etc.?
    If the law in VA requires min. 50% for the fronts, be aware of the factory glass tint that will skew your light reading results. For instance, in MA, the tint laws allow 35% min. up front and that's what I had mine tinted with (35% film), but the light meter at the vehicle inspection read only 26% or so due to the factory tint added. I now have 50% tint all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc13 View Post
    If the law in VA requires min. 50% for the fronts, be aware of the factory glass tint that will skew your light reading results. For instance, in MA, the tint laws allow 35% min. up front and that's what I had mine tinted with (35% film), but the light meter at the vehicle inspection read only 26% or so due to the factory tint added. I now have 50% tint all the way around.
    I wasn't aware there was any tint from the factory. I'm gonna have to double check later. Usually I can tell by looking through polarized sunglasses.
    I'm not too worried about that, though. Vehicle inspections in some parts can be a joke, and I've never seen them check 80% of the checklist they mark as "Pass". Besides, every shop says they do them by the letter of the law and offer guarantees/warranties. Countless Beamers, Audi's, Caddy's, Benzo's, and Lexus' have gotten work done there. If such an event ever occurred where I got into trouble for it, I'll have the shop "fix it" (re-tint) free. After all, I'm the dumb customer who took their advice and went with it. How can it be my fault?

Anyways, looks like I'm going with Formula One. The guy with the Charcool film is booked until the end of June (one man shop!...but, he's got great reviews). I'd like to get it done like...this weekend.

The law here is the same, but the tint shop was willing to give me whatever I wanted and said they rarely hear of anyone ever getting ticketed so we'll see...

As for the version, I don't remember what it was called, but it was definitely one of the cheaper options. The guys at the shop I went to willingly told me it really didn't make much difference. Although apparently if you have a factory nav system, you have to steer clear of one version as it somehow causes interference with factory navs (doesnt bother non factory GPS systems)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)