Window Tinting...which brand film? - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Window Tinting...which brand film?

Just got my windows tinted with the Ceramic.... I must say, I will have to do my GS 350 F Sport with Ceramic as well... can feel the difference with the heat... cooler inside than ordinary tint!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

After exhaustive research, I ended up going with FormulaOne's Pinnacle line of ceramic tints. I found a well-reviewed tint shop in the San Gabriel Valley (about 45 minutes from where I live) who gave me a good price since I brought a friend to have his car tinted with mine (my friend's Audi S5, pictured below). We spent about $550 on each car which included the windshields. I have 50% installed on my front windshield and 35% installed on the rest of the car. My friend's car has 50% installed throughout.

After 6 months of having this film on my car, I cannot recommend it any higher.

The installer did a fantastic job and I could not be more pleased with the way the film looks and handles heat rejection. My car feels about 15-20 degrees cooler than outside temperatures on a hot day, my steering wheel is never hot, and driving at night is not an issue for me as I had feared--in fact, it has helped a lot with combating other drivers' high-beams and HIDs that used to be very distracting while driving.

--- On the flip side ---

Earlier this week I was driving home from Disneyland and a cop pulled me over for my tint. I am devastated by this and while part of me wants to pay the $200 fine and not fix the tint, I am worried about getting pulled over in the future. I am leaning towards having the tint removed and then going with a less-risky 70% film all around, which means I have to switch brands (Huper Optik or 3M Crystalline are my top two contenders). The quotes I'm getting from Huper Optik installed are in the ballpark of $750 to $950, whereas I'm getting quotes for 3M Crystalline around the $500 - $700 range. Both have a sort of blueish hue to them, which I am not a huge fan of, but I have to see both in person.

Found a place called G5 in Alhambra that is a Huper Optik authorized dealer, and I think he also does 3M. Great Yelp reviews, seems to do good work. I will report back with what I end up doing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT_S5.jpg 
Views:	1966 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	44602

Last edited by wffls; 01-12-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Changed thumbnail size

2013 CT200h / Ultra White / F-Sport with NuLuxe / Navigation / Premium Package / Seat Comfort Package

Quote Originally Posted by wffls View Post
    After exhaustive research, I ended up going with FormulaOne's Pinnacle line of ceramic tints. I found a well-reviewed tint shop in the San Gabriel Valley (about 45 minutes from where I live) who gave me a good price since I brought a friend to have his car tinted with mine (my friend's Audi S5, pictured below). We spent about $550 on each car which included the windshields. I have 50% installed on my front windshield and 35% installed on the rest of the car. My friend's car has 50% installed throughout.

After 6 months of having this film on my car, I cannot recommend it any higher.

The installer did a fantastic job and I could not be more pleased with the way the film looks and handles heat rejection. My car feels about 15-20 degrees cooler than outside temperatures on a hot day, my steering wheel is never hot, and driving at night is not an issue for me as I had feared--in fact, it has helped a lot with combating other drivers' high-beams and HIDs that used to be very distracting while driving.

--- On the flip side ---

Earlier this week I was driving home from Disneyland and a cop pulled me over for my tint. I am devastated by this and while part of me wants to pay the $200 fine and not fix the tint, I am worried about getting pulled over in the future. I am leaning towards having the tint removed and then going with a less-risky 70% film all around, which means I have to switch brands (Huper Optik or 3M Crystalline are my top two contenders). The quotes I'm getting from Huper Optik installed are in the ballpark of $750 to $950, whereas I'm getting quotes for 3M Crystalline around the $500 - $700 range. Both have a sort of blueish hue to them, which I am not a huge fan of, but I have to see both in person.

Found a place called G5 in Alhambra that is a Huper Optik authorized dealer, and I think he also does 3M. Great Yelp reviews, seems to do good work. I will report back with what I end up doing.

The 50% windshield is very easier spotted. I have 35% all around except for the windshield and when I look at your picture.. I can immediately tell your windshield is tinted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately you're going to continue to get pulled over. Tinting windshields is never a smart idea and somewhat pointless.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I can't count the number of major cases I have seen in the media which started with a tint stop. They are always looking for heavy tints because SOME of the people who have them are actually hiding something.

As cool as some of the tints look, I just don't need the aggravation of having to remove it or sit around while they write me a ticket. Of course I also don't park in no parking zones.

I did 35% 3M all the way around - love it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by lostchild View Post
    The 50% windshield is very easier spotted. I have 35% all around except for the windshield and when I look at your picture.. I can immediately tell your windshield is tinted.
    What's funny is that the officer who pulled me over didn't notice the windshield--just the front windows. Of course I'm not going to risk it when I get my ticket signed off after removing all the other tint, so that's going to go as well.

For me, my priority is heat reduction. I don't store anything in my car, so I'm not worried about break-ins. I'm not one of those people who sit around in my car, either, so I'm not looking for privacy. If I were to tint my side windows but not the windshield, I wouldn't be blocking much heat out. Huper Optik and 3M make lighter tints with decent heat reduction benefits, so I'm probably going to go that route after I get the ticket corrected.

2013 CT200h / Ultra White / F-Sport with NuLuxe / Navigation / Premium Package / Seat Comfort Package

Quote Originally Posted by wffls View Post
    What's funny is that the officer who pulled me over didn't notice the windshield--just the front windows. Of course I'm not going to risk it when I get my ticket signed off after removing all the other tint, so that's going to go as well.

For me, my priority is heat reduction. I don't store anything in my car, so I'm not worried about break-ins. I'm not one of those people who sit around in my car, either, so I'm not looking for privacy. If I were to tint my side windows but not the windshield, I wouldn't be blocking much heat out. Huper Optik and 3M make lighter tints with decent heat reduction benefits, so I'm probably going to go that route after I get the ticket corrected.
    I tint my windows mainly for the heat rejection too. But if it is just heat rejection, you don't really have to go with the expansive films. I was using FormulaOne Pinnacle 35 about 10 years ago... but then I started with a new tint shop and they used SolarGuard film. The FO 35 has 54% heat rejection; the SolarGuard 35 has 53%. I don't think I could tell the difference. The SolarGuard was $160 for the whole car and FO would have been over $300. I had been using the same tint shop for the last 8 years on 4 different cars and none of the film has change color, bubbled or peeled yet.

I don't have windshield tint but the heat reduction is still huge. I thought about tinting the windshield but just didn't think it would worth the trouble. Even though the cop didn't notice your windshield tint, I think just that fact it is darker made your front windows looks more like a 15% than a 35%. My wife's car has her back windows at 5% and front at 50%.. but her front windows look darker than my 35% because of the darker back.

I also just got the formula 1 pinnacle ceramic tint 15% all around and a 5% strip on the windshield. So far I'm very happy with it and would totally recommend it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Window Tinting...which brand film?-image.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)