Shark Fin Antenna Arrived / Installed - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shark Fin Antenna Arrived / Installed

Excellent. Thanks for the advice! Just need a car to go with the antenna :-(

The wait continues....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I find myself on the fence with respect to the shark fin antenna. My initial reaction to it was negative to be honest. I was expecting a slimmer, sleeker look. I think it is growing on me though.

I have noticed other vehicles in my parking garage with these type of antennas, but they appear to have a much more narrow taper from top to bottom. In other words the base of the antenna is not as thick as the ones I'm seeing posted here. I like that look better. Its a more narrow fin without the thick base. Anyone know anything about alternative shark fin antenna manufacturers? I imagine there are (or will be) a variety of styles for these. Thanks.

2011 CT200h: Premium, Matador Red, Black Leather,
    HDD Navigation, Premium Audio, LED Headlights, Illuminated Door Sills

Quote Originally Posted by tchris View Post
    I find myself on the fence with respect to the shark fin antenna. My initial reaction to it was negative to be honest. I was expecting a slimmer, sleeker look. I think it is growing on me though.

I have noticed other vehicles in my parking garage with these type of antennas, but they appear to have a much more narrow taper from top to bottom. In other words the base of the antenna is not as thick as the ones I'm seeing posted here. I like that look better. Its a more narrow fin without the thick base. Anyone know anything about alternative shark fin antenna manufacturers? I imagine there are (or will be) a variety of styles for these. Thanks.
    I would guess the ones you have seen have been complete replacements for the original arial. The SF being sold by ct200hchat.com is just a cover that uses all of the electronics in the base of the unit, this is why it sits higher and is slightly larger than expected.

I am on the fence like you right now. My conern is reception and DAB (Europe).

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Essentially the SF is replacing the whip antenna with the printed circuit plane antenna shown below.

The ground plain is the base that the whip screws in to.

The instructions are clear that you should not let the SF touch the original base since this will short out the antenna and ground plain and you will have no reception.

The loss in signal is probably due the the printed circuit antenna shown in the picture is not as efficient as the whip. Also any metallic paint will tend to shield the signal and prevent optimum reception by the antenna.

This Shark Fin is a compromise. To get optimum reception with a sleeker design would require major roof surgery and paint job.

Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by audi4t View Post
    ...The loss in signal is probably due the the printed circuit antenna shown in the picture is not as efficient as the whip. Also any metallic paint will tend to shield the signal and prevent optimum reception by the antenna...
    The Shark Fin has been on my CT for three weeks now and I haven't noticed any difference in reception at all. If there is a signal loss when compared to the stock whip antenna, I would wager that it would be so minimal that it could only be determined using an electronic device that measures signal intensity.

As for the Shark Fin's shape and size, it took me all of 48 hours and several glances at Bimmers and other European rides to get used to it.
    Bill in Fremont, CA
    2011 CT200h Premium
    2009 Lexus ES350
    2006 Acura MDX
    2001 Honda Gold Wing

Nice work. Stupid question, but why the tape?

positioning so it isn't crooked.
    Matt

------------------------------------------------------
    2011 Lexus CT 200h - Starfire Pearl, premium trim
    2010 Lexus RX450h AWD - Obsidian

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky1234 View Post
    I would guess the ones you have seen have been complete replacements for the original arial. The SF being sold by ct200hchat.com is just a cover that uses all of the electronics in the base of the unit, this is why it sits higher and is slightly larger than expected.

Okay, DAB fitted, found out that the DAB does not use the black arial at all, it has in internal powered / amplified unit. Off to order the SF!!

Okay, DAB fitted, found out that the DAB does not use the black arial at all, it has in internal powered / amplified unit. Off to order the SF!!
    All ordered from John at Ct200hchat so can't wait for it to turn up now, hopefully only a couple of weeks.........

Well went ahead and ordered it, turmed up today and took about 30 minutes to install, see the pictures...........

https://picasaweb.google.com/1042372...eat=directlink

Must admit I am very pleased with the look, hope you agree.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)