Hybrid Engine Cold Start (Temperature Gauge Missing)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid Engine Cold Start (Temperature Gauge Missing)

Talking Hybrid Engine Cold Start (Temperature Gauge Missing)

Hello fellow CT lovers/owners

I live in Canada and now that winter has struck, I start my car after it's been sitting out in the cold for several hours, sometimes overnight before I drive it again. With traditional engines, there was a temperature gauge that would show you when the engine had started to warm up and give you idea that it was ok to start driving the car. However with Hybrid, or at least my CT200h, I don't have one and have no idea if it's warmed up. So it begs the question, does a hybrid engine even need to be warmed up before you drive it? If so, does driving it before it's warmed up doing it harm? Any help from folks out there that understand this better than me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Until an engine is warm keep the rpm's low to minimize wear. You could switch to sport mode and use the tach as a guide until you feel warm air coming out of the vents.

I would say if you minimize aggressive acceleration until the engine has warmed up you will be fine.

There are two camps concerning idling the car until its warm and then driving off or driving the car immediately without waiting.

I follow the second practice. With modern lubricants and non aggressive starts I drive without waiting for the engine to heat up.

Some BMW's have a max RPM indicator that increases as engine temp increases..

Last edited by audi4t; 01-21-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

I agree w/ audi4t.

By the way, you'll know your gasoline engine is warmed up when the fan for your heat cranks up to heat your car (assuming you have it set to "AUTO"). I too found it odd that this car doesn't have a temp. gauge too!
    '11 CT 200h Premium: Smoky Granite Mica / Caramel Interior / Premium Sound / Remote Start / Autobahnd Clear Bra / Accessory Package / Piaa 2500K Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs / Slim HID Kit (35W @ 5000k) / Llumar Ceramic 40% Tint / Road Magnet Lowering Springs / LED Interior Lighting / Hardwired Passport 9500i / Debadged Rear Hatch / 18" TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Gunmetal Wheels w/ /225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires / VG Sharkfin Antenna

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I would vote to have Lexus add a temp gauge too.

If the temp is -10 Celsius or less, I plug in the block heater and I also wait 20-30 seconds before driving off. I am in the camp that asserts that idling is hard on the engine so it is better to get moving.
    2015 Canadian CT200h F-sport, Ultra White, Rioja Red, 2015 03 21

2011 Canadian Touring Package CT200h, Matador Red Mica, ordered 03/03, delivered 18/08. Traded 2015 03 21.

2002 Honda Accord Canadian SE Sedan - reliable but boring.

You can always connect a scangauge thru' the OBD port and you can display coolant temp as one of the gauge display outputs.

I have a scangauge and have found it invaluable for reading / resetting error codes

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

You can also program the backlighting to match your cars cluster lighting

I leave it connected permanently in my BMW

Here is the original scan gauge and secondly my integrated install in my 135i which does the same thing as the scangauge.

Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.