Battery Life/Replacement Cost and Gas Concerns
NEWS

1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery Life/Replacement Cost and Gas Concerns

Battery Life/Replacement Cost and Gas Concerns

Hello Everyone,

Battery Life/Replacement Cost:
    Out of curiosity, how long (yrs) does the battery last approximately when purchasing a brand new CT200h? I have been reading reviews about the lifespan on the Toyota Prius; battery life lasting up to 10 years+ and some do not require replacement yet.

When replacement is needed, how much does it cost to replace the battery?
    If replacement is needed, is it worth it to get a battery replacement or to get a brand new car?

Gas Concerns:
    Can you pump the car with regular gas? Or does it require you to use premium gas?
    If you are always using the green-friendly type modes on the car, how long will a fill-up of gas last?

I am in love with this car but have quite a few questions as to how this car works. This will be my first time getting a hybrid. It'll be greatly appreciated if you could give me your most honest opinion! Much thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Lexus CT200H Forum
    Advertisements

Batteries on Toyota hybrids last the life of the vehicle. Period. They last longer then conventional transmissions and engine. The reason for this is the small change in battery state-of-charge as the hybrid is operating. You can call that change in SOC or delta SOC. By making the delta SOC small, the energy that goes in and out of the battery is small and therefore makes the life of the battery nice and long.

Lexus and Toyota warranty their hybrid batteries for 8 years of 160,000km. But battery replacements on Toyota hybrids is very very very uncommon.

The cost to replace the battery is approx $2500-$3000. Like an engine or transmission. But again. As I've mentioned. These batteries simply don't fail.

The main reason why people think these batteries would have to be replaced is because of their day-to-day familiarity with batteries of only one kind: those in small electrical items like cell phones, remote controllers, radio controlled toys etc. And with that day-to-day experience and familiarity comes the notion that batteries fail and need to be replaced.

That's not the case with these hybrid batteries.

Your second concern. The CT200h uses regular fuel. If you are DRIVING "green" in the summer/spring months you should be able to get 4.7L/100km. From the "empty light" (which leaves about 10-12L of fuel remaining in the tank) you can fill up 33-36L of fuel and that will net you about 680-720km of driving in the spring/summer/fall.

As with ALL cars, as soon as you get below 5 degC or even 0degC or -10degC, the fuel consumption is higher and sits around 5.8-6.0L/100km and nets you about 550km.
    Driver of the #23 TEAM LEXUS IS300 RACECAR
    '11 CT200h Starfire Pearl on black, Technology pkg, Volk Racing TE37 in Magnesium Blue, F-Sport Sways, F-Sport Springs, Lexus illuminated scuff plates
    Other daily drivers: '08 Prius Touring

Don
    Thanks Team Lexus for all the valuable information on battery life and why we should keep fuel in the tank.
    2011 Lexus CT 200h Premium-Tungsten Pear/Water Gray Leather
    Premium Audio, HDD Navigation, LED Headlamps, Illuminated door sills, Preferred accessory packages.

Thanks Team Lexus, I think you are a little high on the winter mileage.

Here in Calgary this winter I have been averaging about 5.2l/100km, 54 miles/imperial gallon, 45 miles/US gallon. I look forward to acheveing 4.7l/100km = 60 miles/imperial gallon in the warmer seasons!
    ===================
    2012 CT200h - Starfire Pearl Premium F Sport, Premium Black Leather; Sport Pedals; F-Sport Grilles & Bumpers; Cargo mat & net; 3M hood/bumper, Sharkfin Antenna

Wow. 5.2 in winter is impressive.

Mainly because my 4.7 in the summer is with wheels that weigh 10lbs lighter (25lbs original wheels vs 15 lbs aftermarket wheels).

I get 5.6 in the winter with temps between -5degC and 5 deg C. I'd love to get down to 5.2!! Good driving Calgary John!
    '11 CT200h Starfire Pearl on black, Technology pkg, Volk Racing TE37 in Magnesium Blue, F-Sport Sways, F-Sport Springs, Lexus illuminated scuff plates

Must be a Calgary thing as we have been averaging 5.1 l/100km during the winter so far, with winter tires, cool (-5degC and 5 degC) but little snow on the roads. During the fall we were getting 4.6 l/100km.

Also here is a recent article that talks about the Prius battery pack and recycling, expect this also applies to the CT.
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...301029980/1147

When you're at an elevation of 3000' everywhere you go is downhill - that must be why you have good fuel economy !!!!!

Still got those "ruts" in the roads? That what I remember from spending 2 years in Calgary and driving up and down Mcleod Trail - great city BTW.
    Premium Fire Agate Pearl / Caramel / Bamboo Dash Trim / Shark Fin Antenna / Illuminated Sills / F - Stainless Sport Pedals / Painted Calipers / HID Slim Ballast Kit - 55 watt 4500 k / White Fogs / LED Interior Lighting

http://audi4t.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by audi4t View Post
    When you're at an elevation of 3000' everywhere you go is downhill - that must be why you have good fuel economy !!!!!

Still got those "ruts" in the roads? That what I remember from spending 2 years in Calgary and driving up and down Mcleod Trail - great city BTW.
    It can't be downhill both ways?

2011 Ct200h Premium - Starfire Pearl - HDD Navigation System -10-speaker Premium Sound System -(LED) headlamps -Illuminated door sills- Preferred accessory packages-Leather-Nano-ceramic tint- Nano clear on windshield - Clear Bra

How many of your Calgarians have replaced your windshield already??! LOL! thats all I recall about Calgary in my time out there!

Here I thought Calgary was a lot colder than Toronto, I guess its about the same.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Lexus CT200H Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.