Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Low Porfile tire issues in a cold weather state?

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob259 
#1 ·
folks worked my deal today on a new Ct200 premium fully loaded with leather nav and the led light option. However before I finalize the deal tomorrow i was hopeing to get some feedback on the tire issue. Specifically I am in Michigan where the roads are notorius for thier potholes year round. Also i am concerned about the handling in the winter. I currently am trading an AWD Acura Rdx which i love and handles great in the winter. I know these cars havent been around thru a north american winter yet and must admit i was shocked to see the low profiles on here as I knwo these rims will get bent in Michigan sooner or later. I know this car has traction control and front wheel drive will help ..but the low profile tires along with the low chassis really is giving me second thoughts..please help with thoughts today!..thanks

#2 ·
What scares me is the car being so low to the ground. The fact that the bottom of the car is completely flat is not good for driving in snow either. I worry about getting the car hung up in 3 to 4 inches of snow and the front tires off the ground. I'm only going to drive on plowed roads here in Minnesota.

#3 ·
I'm concerned too. But I have purchased my winter tires and they will be going on when the time comes. They are Michelin Primacy Alpine PA3s in the stock size 215/45R17. I guess there will be a lot of discussion when the first snow flies!

#8 ·
Great choice for this car. Keeping it green!

#4 ·
I have always had great luck with Bridgestone Blizzaks.

#5 ·
I've had them in the past too, but these Michelins are low rolling resistance snow tires, so I think they are the best match for our car.

#6 ·
maybe you could post a pic when you have them on?

#10 ·
Here's a pic from tirerack for now

#9 ·
Higher profiles DON'T increase ground clearance. If you buy the right size (going down to 16" or 15") the circumference is supposed to say the same so everything (speedo, ABS, etc) still work properly. Therefore the car is the same height. The advantage to going to smaller diameter tires is the width drops, i.e. 205mm vrs. 215mm.

#12 ·
Sorry for the confusion. Here's what I have bought:

A set of 4 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 snow tires in the factory size of 215/45R17. They are an exact replacement for the 17" factory tires. They are LRR 'Green X' 87H.

In order to get a different width, you have to go to a 16" tire which would be 205/55R16 tires (same brand and specs - except it's 91H, which is same speed rating but lower load index). This size would keep the circumference the same, but I would have had to buy a set of 16" rims, which I really didn't want to do ('cause I'd also need another set of TPMSs and have them programmed at every tire change).

So I decided to pay Lexus twice a year to re & re the tires on and off the factory rims with the same size factory and snow tires.

I hope this helps!

#14 ·
How about performance on ice. I'm in Oklahoma. We don't get much snow here but we usually get a week or so of really icy roads. We also don't have the snow removal equipment. I thinking about investing in a good set of chains. Any advise?
I have no experience with chains since they are illegal in Ontario. But here is a quote from Michelin's website on the Primacy Alpin PA3:

"Get more miles for your money
Building on the fuel efficiencies of its predecessor, the MICHELIN® Primacy™ Alpin® PA3™ tire helps to use even less fuel thanks to a rolling resistance that has been reduced by 7%.
10% better acceleration in snow1
The MICHELIN® Primacy™ Alpin® PA3™ tires offer a 10% gain in acceleration and handling characteristics in snow as a result of more sipe edges biting into snow and ice from 3-D StabiliGrip Technology TM with its Bi-Directional auto blocking and variable geometry sipes.
Get shorter, safer stops
Increased traction at low temperature for improved braking and handling in the wet and better overall performance in the snow, all the result of the revolutionary Helio Compound™, with sunflower oil. The MICHELIN® Primacy™ Alpin® PA3™ tire stop 1.7 meters shorter than its predecessor1 on wet."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.