Cold start knocking, vibration, rough idle....
NEWS

1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums – General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold start knocking, vibration, rough idle....

Cold start knocking, vibration, rough idle....

Hi all, first post here. I have new 2012 CT200h with under 5k miles. I've noticed occasionally on cold start the combustion engine has a terrible vibration and knocking that occurs for the first 1-2 seconds of ignition. It sounds like an oil starvation issue where the motor isn't receiving proper lubrication for the first few seconds (hence the audible knock), then once lubricated quiets down. It's only happened a handful of times and I've never been able to capture it on video (too seldom to predict).

I had my first 5k mile check up with the dealer recently and informed them of the situation. They were not surprised by my description of the issue and stated other complaints have been received. However they also reported that at this time there is no fix from Lexus/Toyota and unless they can reproduce the issue, there was nothing they could do short of document my compliant in the service record.

I did a little research and found the problem is also experienced by the Prius owners too (makes sense, same engine & drivetrain). Here's a youtube vid of a Prius owner with the exact issue I'm having.

Are any other CT owners out there experiencing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I found on the Prius forums there's a TSB for this. The TSB indicates the intake manifold and EGR valve are the source of the issue and the fix is to replace the intake with an updated part. Unfortunately however the TSB also indicates that the malfunction indicator lamp (aka check engine light) must be on with a handful of diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) recorded. In my case each time this rough start has occurred I throw no CEL's or produce any codes, just rough idle for a few seconds.

Listing of 3rd Gen TSBs - Page 3 - PriusChat Forums

Mine did this for the first time yesterday morning. It was from a cold start and I had to restart the ICE a couple of times before it smoothed out. This is certainly not isolated to the Prius. I did some searching and it sounds like the dealers are denying this issue exists because they can't replicate it while in the shop for service. I also have not read anything about if it does long-term damage to the engine. I've got a 2012 CT200h.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

My daughter's 2012 CT200h is doing the same, recorded the engine knocking with the dashcam... brought it to the dealer today and shown them the video and the PRIUS SB...

got a call from lexus today and they said they are going to replace the intake manifold per lexus service bulletin l-sb-0004-13.

Weird, I have a 2011 and never had this issue. The temperatures in Chicago dropped to -20 degrees this past weekend and my CT has been a champ with zero issues. It starts flawlessly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thanks for the heads up. While I have not had this issue, it has been reported several times on this forum, so I believe it is real. I hope I never have that but I'll be on the lookout.

Wow what timing for this thread, as this just happened to me this morning! Now I will say that there was some unique circumstances involved:

1. It had been about 10 days since I had driven the car.
    2. During that down period, it had gotten extremely cold. Two nights were down to -10 F.
    3. This morning was back up to about 50 F outside.

The car started but was extremely rough and sounded just like the youtube video in this thread. The engine smoothed itself out after a few seconds and was fine for the rest of the day. No codes or errors showed up. I guess I'm not really too worried since it's the first time and it hasn't been that cold here in Indiana in about 25 years. Didn't seem to hurt the engine either, although obviously I don't know anything about long term effects.

Here's someone with a CT that posted a video on Youtube. This is just how mine sounded except mine lasted a little longer.

Hmmm. This happened to me just once and I attributed it to it being very cold (sub zero) and the car not running for 4 days.

If it happens again...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.