Cold start knocking, vibration, rough idle.... - Page 3
NEWS
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold start knocking, vibration, rough idle....

wow...I don't feel left out, my CT has done the same thing. It seems if my car sits for a couple days then I start it up it will make the knocking noise but it is totally random. I'll be sure to bring this up to my Lexus dealer the next time it's in for service.

2012 Starfire Pearl CT200h
    Base...but modding all the time
    12 volt is my life...
    MECP Master Certified
    ASE A6 Certified

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Well this is back with the cold weather. Has done it 3 times or so this winter. Last a second or two and then runs smooth after that. I read that some have had success getting this fixed but I am now out of warranty (just). Doesn't seem to really cause an issue so I guess I'm not going to worry about it unless it starts happening like all the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

This also happened to me. Both on my 2012 Prius C and my 2014 CT (seems like all Prius family members deal with this).

Like a few had mentioned, it does seem to happen when it's cold outside (even though some report this happening in warm weather as well). I always got the feeling that it was an engine mount issue, as if it was hardened by the cold and softened up from the heat of the engine after starting and stops the vibration a few seconds later, but as many have mentioned, there's a TSB for it which isn't related to engine mounts.

FYI: for those of you in the US, you can visit recalls.gov and check your car for TSBs as well as recalls and other information.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

KKM
    So are dealers fixing this if you bring it in without throwing a code? Although I haven't experienced this yet, I keep my cars until it dies so it's a concern if it's a design flaw and want to get it fixed under warranty. I also live in the Bay area so it doesn't get the extreme cold exposures. I have a 2012 purchased on Jan. 2012.

Thanks for this info. I have the same problem during extremely cold days (minus 30C). I brought my car to check and the dealership confirmed it is related to rear engine mounts. They replaced the mounts and intake manifold under warranty. I believe there is a TSB from Lexus. My car now runs smoothly and actually has a bit more jump.
    Last edited by NewtoCT200; 03-14-2015 at 12:21 PM.

So my wife's 2014 Prius just did this exact same thing today. Same symptoms as everyone describes here. I pulled the car out of the garage, so the engine ran for about 30 seconds. When she went to take it to the store an hour later, it had the shudder for about 1 second.

One thing that would help is if "EV" mode actually worked. I know I am only going 20 ft with the car. I don't care what temp the engine is or what temp it is outside, the engine should not come on. Instead it just says "EV mode is not available". Pretty stupid.

I called my local Lexus and they said that the L-SB-0004-13 - MIL "ON" DTC P030# After Cold Soak TSB was not applicable for my vehicle. I heard this loud engine knock for the third time this year. I live in Houston Texas and it has gotten to 40 - 45 Degrees Fahrenheit when the knock occurs.

My car sounds exactly the same as in the video on page 1

What should I do? I've called two different Lexus dealerships and one says my CT200h is not applicable and the other dealership couldnt even look up the TSB.

I've located the production change information and confirmed that my VIN is BEFORE the VIN number shown on the TSB

Lexus TSB Effected: JTHKD5BH#D2131695
    Mines: JTHKD5BH#CXXXXXXX

Link To TSB Below:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/atta...-13-ct200h.pdf
    Last edited by m0nkey; 01-27-2016 at 11:19 AM.

KKM
    I took mines in to the dealership with the TSB in hand and they said the only thing they could do is they have to actually observe and experience the issue before they can make any repairs, so have to leave the car overnight and if it starts up in the morning with the issue only then will they fix it. Of course, what is the chance of that happening while in their possession?

Just reviving this thread as mine has just started this too (UK). No diagnostic done but I've read a lot about it being the EGR valve as the cause. Quite common to Prius also. Lexus want silly money for a new valve so I'll be cleaning the valve out at the weekend as I've watched many YouTube videos about this and looks straight forward to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec. 27th 2016, I experienced engine knocking at cold start (cold soak is the vocabulary used by Lexus). The issue last at least 30 seconds, seconds that appeared to last for minutes since the banging sounded like if my engine was exploding. The day after, I had an appointment for Air Bag recall and I mentionned the issue.

Jan. 6th 2016, my dealer, which I won't mention for right now, accepted to change engine mount under Canadian TSB L-TCI-3115 (US T-SB-0204-11). I mentionned to my dealer that following my web research, the intake might need to be replaced as a permanent solution under Canadian TSB L-TCI-3172 (US L-SB-0004-13), but dealer mentionned it was now obsolete.

Feb. 1st 2017 was a cold morning (-16 Celcius), and I decides to record my engine start-up, I had a feeling it would make it. The video recorded is the one posted here on YouTube:

Feb. 2nd, cold day, it happened once again and I recorded it again! I'm starting to know in which condition it will happen (and more and more stress about my engine condition)

My warranty will end Mar. 23rd, I need to choose what is the next repair to do since the dealer is 2hrs drive; clean the injector at a Toyota dealer that is closer or push my Lexus dealer to change my intake manifold?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.