Cold start knocking, vibration, rough idle.... - Page 2
NEWS
  1. Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums General discussion forum for Lexus CT200h

Welcome to Lexus CT200H Forums - a website dedicated to all things Lexus CT200h.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Lexus CT200H Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold start knocking, vibration, rough idle....

Happened to me this morning. Car had not been driven for 2.5 days and weather had gotten below freezing though it was well above freezing when starting the car. Sound lasted for about 15 seconds. Car drove ok but am calling dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
    I've noticed occasionally on cold start the combustion engine has a terrible vibration and knocking that occurs for the first 1-2 seconds of ignition. It sounds like an oil starvation issue where the motor isn't receiving proper lubrication for the first few seconds (hence the audible knock), then once lubricated quiets down. It's only happened a handful of times and I've never been able to capture it on video (too seldom to predict).
    From last November through this January I experienced the vibration and knocking on cold start-up roughly a half-dozen times. However, over the last couple of weeks it's happened three or four times.

Based on VIN my car has the redesigned intake manifold which is supposed to resolve this issue. Can anyone point me to the TSB that concerns the rear engine mount as the culprit?

Jay
    Winnipeg, Canada
    2013 CT200h F-Sport (Ultra White)

I've noticed occasionally on cold start the combustion engine has a terrible vibration and knocking that occurs for the first 1-2 seconds of ignition.
    From last November through January I experienced vibration and knocking on cold start-up a total of roughly a half-dozen times. However, over the last couple of weeks it's happened three or four times.

Based on VIN my car has the redesigned intake manifold which is supposed to resolve this issue. Can anyone point me to the TSB that concerns the rear engine mount as the culprit?
    Jay
    Winnipeg, Canada

5. Remove Advertisements
    CT200HForum.com
    Advertisements

I've noticed occasionally on cold start the combustion engine has a terrible vibration and knocking that occurs for the first 1-2 seconds of ignition.
    The Lexus service bulletin about a loud engine knock or rattle noise at initial engine start after cold soak applies to 2011-13 CT200h models built prior to a production change in the intake manifold. Although my car's VIN indicates that it was built after the production change, occasionally I have experienced the engine knock/vibration on initial start during the winter. The engine knock seems to be correlated with parking the car just after the engine has warmed up enough for the car run on the hybrid battery.

I'll mention this problem when I bring the car in for its first oil and filter service in a few weeks. I'm interested in knowing whether any other 2013's with VIN JTHKD5BHD2131695 or above are having this issue.
    Jay
    Winnipeg, Canada

This has been happening to me too, and I live in south Florida. I don't think the temperature has anything to do with the problem. The first time it happened it scared the crap out of me, I thought the car was going to explode or something. I drop the car off today at the dealer today to have it checked. i have 15k

I just got my intake manifold replaced for the 3rd time (I have 82,000kms now). Seems Lexus has extended the warranty on this part and have revised it several times to fix this problem. It seems to happen to me only when it's real cold and I haven't started the car for a while (like overnight). I reported it to my dealer the last time this happened about a month ago and they ordered the latest revision of the manifold for me. Hopefully this is finally fixed for good, but probably won't know until we go through next winter.
    2011 CT200h w/tech pkg. w/Navi (Cdn)-Fire Agate Pearl/black leather; sport pedals; sills; cargo mat; wallet key; 3M "chip guard" on hood, side sills, lower door and front part of roof; PIAA Xtreme White HB (H9); Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs (H11); Putco LED map, dome, vanity, hatch & license plate lights; Lexus LED fog lights; tinted windows (Llumar); Lexus car cover; Reflector sun shade; Rear bumper protector; Mud flaps; Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 snow tires, 3D front floor mats

Im having the same issue after engine manifold was replaced back in March. Dealer is saying Lexus has been updating the design since complaints started. BUT, they are not replacing my manifold with the new one because my car didnt throw codes. So, i have bring it back when i have video proof. Im thinking of trading this thing...

2012 Ct200h SE
    19000miles

Quote Originally Posted by DPTR1 View Post
    Im having the same issue after engine manifold was replaced back in March. Dealer is saying Lexus has been updating the design since complaints started. BUT, they are not replacing my manifold with the new one because my car didnt throw codes. So, i have bring it back when i have video proof. Im thinking of trading this thing...

2012 Ct200h SE
    19000miles
    I just noticed my car starting to do this since the temperature dropped. Does anyone know if they extended the warranty on this part? I'm out of bumper to bumper warranty currently.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Since it is A TSB I think you are covered
    2011Matador Red Mica CT Premium Black Nuluxe Interior with Custom Installed Sound, Navigation, Morimoto 55W 6000K HIDs, Xenon White 96-SMD LED fogs.

Race Red Focus ST, Smooth shifting 6-speed manual. Recaro black leather seats. 2 liter engine. Awesome power 252 Hp, 270 ft-lbs torque = 2,000-4,500 RPM. No turbo lag. Decent mileage, achieving 28 mpg overall rated 23/32. Interior space 23.8 cu ft cargo with all seats up. Audio, light years better than Premium CT. FUN FACTOR 10 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by midcow3 View Post
    Since it is A TSB I think you are covered
    No you are incorrect. TSB's are much different than recalls.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.